1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The paranormal

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Born_in_Crewe, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

http://www.qsl.net/w5www/phonecalls.html

What do people make of this? I came across an article, which I wrote about in my personal blog yesterday, which said that the Bible claims that the dead cannot contact the living; but it is difficult to find alternative explanations for some of these stories. I don't think a demon would help people...but maybe they could be angels?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Isaiah 8 the living are forbidden from contacting the the dead. The Bible says "the dead know not anything". In 1Thess 4 the dead are spoken of this way...

1Thess 4
    1Thess 4
    13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.
    14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.
    15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
    16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
    17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.
    18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

God's Law made it a crime punishable by death to deal with the dead spirits in any way.

In 1Cor 8 Paul points out that when the pagan pray to gods "represented" by wood and stone - they are in fact engaged in the "worship of demons".

Demons are given more freedom to deceive in areas where humans are deliberately going into areas God has forbidden. But they SELDOM present themselve as "hey this is a demon speaking I would like to argue a point with you to see if you can be convinced to follow me".

In fact as we see in Gen 3 -- they often appear in a form that is more acceptable by the victim and they often appear to want to "help".

in Gal 1 Paul says "though we or an angel from heaven should come to you with a gospel message that is OTHER than the one we have preached - let them be accursed".

The "purpose" of demons in the case of the OP is to convince the target victim that the dead loved ones are in a position to hear prayers - contact the living - involve and interact with the living.

in Christ,

Bob

#2 BobRyan, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  3. standingfirminChrist

Scripture calls communicating with the dead necromancy.

It is forbidden.

There are many deceiving spirits in the world today who will tell you they are departed loved ones. Believe them not.

If it were possible for the dead to speak to the living, the rich man in hell would have warned his brothers himself of that awful place instead of asking Abraham to send Lazarus.

4. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

I still dont get why the Devil or his demons would actually help people, as they seem to in the final story on the link I posted earlier... weird :)

I would be grateful if people replying to this thread, could read the link or at least the final story on the link, as I am trying to use specific examples.

5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

The devil will try to do anything to trip people up even if it means appearing nice and helpful.

6. Born_in_Crewe

Born_in_Crewe Member

But what if the person was an unbeliever, what difference would it make then?

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

So that people will believe in ghosts. Once they believe in ghosts because they've had an expereince with a dead loved one they have violated God's word, and now doubt at least parts of God's word as being true. Then they go around and tell people, or write articles and other believe, and doubt God's word. And if parts of God's word aren't true then how much if any is true.
    Isn't this what satan does, cause disbelief, and people going against God's word?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

As I said in my previous post, if they are an unbelievers, they've now had an experience that they believe, and if ever they hear or read about it from the bible's view point they will not doubt their experience, but the bible.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As others have stated - they become an "evangelist" for Satan's program regarding the dead- trying to convince others of the same.

They also will be wanting to see "just as much reality and power" on the Bible side - to get them to cross back over to the light. Being able to speak directly with spirits (of whatever origin they may imagine them to be) will seem like "a lot more active religion" to them than a quite - see nothing - do nothing kind of Christianity.

That means we need to be all the more active in prayer and claiming the promises so that the truth of 1Cor 2 might be realized in Christian churches -

10. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Remember, Satan will try and mimic everything God has done. He is a liar and a fake. Remember, Satan is not going to show up with a pickfork and horns.. he will try and come as an angel to try and deceave many but its all Lies. Satan is a liar and he will use anything to try and create doubt on us Christians. True help comes from Christ and no one else..

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Anti Christ is going to help people too, until he gets them to believe in him...just like Satan.