1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Parenthesis Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, but I still keep Israel and the church distinct in my thinking.

But when I say Israel, I mean "redeemed Israel", all the saved of the Hebrews down through John the Baptist.

And when I say the church I mean all those born again thereafter.

Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect.​

HankD​

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

AresMan

Very interesting information you presented above. I had not heard of the Mid-Acts group before.

I know Scofield wrote a book, Rightly Dividing The Word of Truth. Haven't read it so can't speak to it other than I know where the title came from. It seems to me that rather then "Rightly Dividing" some of these people are Splintering the Truth. The Apostle Paul wrote:

Romans 15:4. For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

We have the Bible, God gave it to us, and we should take the advice He gave us through the Apostle Paul.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

OR,
    I consider this thread as educational for me, not a debate. Although we agree on DoG, I am still searching for a good position on covenant theology. Like many in this thread, I used to agree with Hal Lindsey and Scofield, but my thinking has changed to a totally open mind. As I said in an earlier post, a former pastor challanged us to find Scripture that proved the pre mil, pre trib view, and we could find none that proved it for sure.

It seems that more Calvinsts agree with the Covenant view, and more Arminians agree with the Dispy view, but that is not 100% either. I am surprised that the covenant-dispy debate causes such heat, as I never considered it that contriversial, sort of like the Creation that I believe to be a literal seven day event.

I will admit I lean towards the convenant view at this point, but there are many much more well versed in this area than me, which is why I asked for the two views of Calvin-dispy, and Arminian-covenant.

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not OR, and he's probably getting tired of my interjections on this thread, I'm getting ready to go 'sit down', BUT, the current day situation surrounding the issue of eschatology is of immense importance. If you're serious about understanding 'Why the controversy?', take your time and seriously peruse this link concerning Doomsday Dementia & Rature Mania. Pay no attention to the 'Preterist' aspect of it, get the gist of what they're presenting concerning WHAT DISPENSATIONALISM HAS MORHED INTO:

Rapture Theology & Christian Zionist Politics Critical Study Archive

6. OldRegular

S/N

I believe a great many Baptists, including Southern Baptists, are dispensationalists simply because they were exposed to the Scofield Bible. I suspect that the extent of their knowledge of dispensational doctrine is that they were/are Rapture Ready.

I am assuming that the vitriolic response to the OP by many on this thread indicates that they had not been properly schooled in the doctrine of the "parenthesis" Church. It is a doctrine that is carefully avoided and is being abandoned by the progressive dispensationalists.

I would also note that in the years I have been on this board some of the most contentious debates have been about eschatology. The debate over the Doctrines of Grace currently on this Forum is getting as contentious as the debate between the pre-trib folks and others. Frankly I am no shrinking violet when it comes to Scripture or politics!

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the final analysis, I believe we agree on DoG, the Presidential nominee (although maybe not to the same degree), and probably covenant theology. I have never detected any meanness in your posts as I have others, even when we do disagree.

8. OldRegular

Butt in anytime unless you are one of those Eastern Kentucky rednecks from Clay or Breathitt. Heard on Fox this morning these people sell their votes. [Just like every other county in the country, I suspect.]

The OP for this thread is about the abominable dispensational doctrine of the "parenthesis" Church. I have and will debate dispensationalists over their Rapture Ready eschatology. Unfortunately I believe their eschatological doctrine, with its heavy emphasis on Israel as God's people, has impacted our foreign policy and that is unfortunate. I have no problem with our support of Israel but only because they are a democracy and a thorn in the flesh of Islam.

As I recall the year 2000 was approached with fear and trembling, much of it because of what you call
    I believe in the Visible Second Coming of Jesus Christ, at a time God will choose. It is important to remember that He could call for any of us as individuals at any time!:jesus::thumbs:

Heh! I was back in Wise County, Virginia the 2nd weekend in July for a family reunion. They don't sell votes there:smilewinkgrin: the dems just steal them, at least they used to.:tonofbricks:

#108 OldRegular, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

KY, this is no different than people who say ALL Calvinists are hyper. You shouldn't use such a broad brush.

I am not a doomsdayer or anything of the sort.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant everyone but you Amy.... :)

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OR we don't sell our votes in this neck of the woods, we trade them for liquor!

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah right! :laugh:

I may live in Tennessee, but I ain't eggnurnt! :tongue3:

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect.​

The word is kai and is overwhelmingly translated as "and" and cannot willy-nilly be translated differently without some grammatical support.​

You seem to have forced a grammatical inconsistency here to agree with your view which I believe you are thinking that these two entities are the same.​

You may be correct if this sentence follows the Granville Sharp First rule of Koine grammar which requires one definite article followed by kai and another noun without the definite article. ​

However BOTH articles are missing in the original Koine which breaks the Granville Sharp First rule requiring only one definite article before the first noun and then the connective kai and probably should not be translated "even" as they are different things. Which is probably why the KJV translators used "and" instead of "even" as it seems to follow Granville Sharp Rule 6.​

In addition the Book to the Hebrews was written to convince "Hebrews" (some of which were learning of Christ but still following the Law of Moses, some of which had confessed Christ but turned back and then those who had endured) of the excellency of Christ over Moses.

So both redeemed Hebrews (general assembly) and saved church members (church of the firstborn) are being addressed by Paul in the Book of Hebrews. Both saved by grace though faith.

Perhaps John of Japan can correct me if I am wrong in this case concerning the Granville Sharp rule?

HankD​

#114 HankD, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  15. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although the Grandville-Sharpe rule establishes the copulative kai as an equative for certain cases, it does not exclusively do so. In other words, the rule is not necessary for the two to be the same.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Aresman,

Please read the link for Rule #6 which is the case for Hebrews 12:23.

Thanks
    HankD

17. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to rule #6, for the construction to be an exception "the context must explain or point out plainly the person to whom the two nouns relate." I believe there is a possibility that the context provides the exception. However, given the context, even if the two datives here are not identical, it would seem that they are overlapping concepts.

Heb 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
    Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
    Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

The context is the three verses, which together provide a list of datives indicating all the things to which "ye are come." Given this, it would be impossible for "ye" to "come" to two ontologically distinct entities that have their own programs and destinies.
    1. mount Sion
    2. the city of the living God
    3. the heavenly Jerusalem
    4. an innumerable company of angels
    5. the general assembly
    6. the church of the firstborn
    7. God the judge of all
    8. the spirits of just men made perfect
    9. Jesus the mediator of the new covenant
    10. the blood of sprinkling

1-3 = the geographical location in heaven
    4 = the non-human cohabitants
    5-6 = the names of this union of saints
    7 = God, the orchestrator
    8 = Old Covenant saints
    9 = Jesus, the mediator of the New Covenant
    10 = the means of the mediation

The word for "general assembly" (πανήγυρις) is essentially a hapax legomenon (a word found only once), coming from pan ("all") and agora ("gathering"), referring to a festive unity. A church (εκκλησια) is also an "assembly" of "called out" ones.

Even if the grammatical construction does indicate that the "general assembly" and "church" are stating the same thing (such that one could serve as an appositive to the other), they express similar concepts and are not ontologically distinct. There is simply nothing in the context to separate these two datives into two ontologically distinct entities.

If what you suggest is true, quite a few translations get it wrong:

From http://bible.cc/hebrews/12-23.htm

New Living Translation (©2007)
    You have come to the assembly of God's firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect.

English Standard Version (©2001)
    and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect,

International Standard Version (©2008)
    to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, to a judge who is the God of all, to the spirits of righteous people who have been made perfect,

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
    and to the assembly of God's firstborn children (whose names are written in heaven). You have come to a judge (the God of all people) and to the spirits of people who have God's approval and have gained eternal life.

among others.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Oh yeah? I bet their "scrambled". :laugh:

BTW, they were scrambled over the MANY MOONS you have seen, eh? :love2: :wavey: :flower:

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True but many others side with the KJV.

Anyway I see them as distinct.

Revelation 21 shows a distinction between Israel and the church in the New Jerusalem:

Revelation 21
    10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
    11 Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
    12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
    13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
    14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

HankD​

20. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank, considering your past application of the GS rule concerning the baptism of Mt 3:12.......

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1632546&highlight=unquenchable#post1632546

....perhaps you should pay closer attention to context here also.

#120 kyredneck, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.