1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE PASSION OF ADAM AND EVE! NOW PLAYING AT A THEATER NEAR YOU!

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Lacy Evans, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Interesting responses. Just a question I had--no subtle intents intended.

Are there any other testimonies on this board of people led to Christ via "other media?"

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Raise your hand if you got saved watching a rated R movie!

Lacy

3. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I was under the impression that most people could understand the difference in supporting a film about Jesus' crucifixion and in supporting films about adultery and fornication, and immorality in general (which amazingly every "movie idea" you gave just happense to be about).

True, the Judas film came on last night, although the dialogue, production, and acting are so laughable that even secular critics blasted it, its liberal, anti-Scriptural message notwithstanding.

I would direct you all to a thread I started in which we mention several misconceptions those who oppose the film have about those of us who support it. Take a look when you have the time.

Thoughts from a Passion Supporter

God bless!

4. vaspers

vaspers New Member

My point uhdum, was that once gratuitous violence is sanctioned in the name of "realism" of Christ's sacrifice, why not gratuitous sexual content in the name of "realism" of David and Bathsheba, etc.

And someone also said, gratuituous violence in seeing Sampson's eyes gouged out. Maybe if Salvador Dali was around, he'd do it for us.

Extreme violence, extreme sex, it all amounts to tasteless, uncouth, vulgarity, no matter what the "spiritual" point is.

Do not Passion supporters often claim, heretically, that the Gospels (and past Jesus films) are "too sanitized" and need more gore and violence to make us "appreciate" the scourging of Christ?

Next will be David and Bathsheba account in Bible is "too sanitized" and must be eroticized cinematically. Look out folks. These films are coming. Will you rally behind them? Develop yer standards now. Draw your lines now. The assault on true Christianity has begun.

:( [​IMG]

5. Pluvivs

Pluvivs New Member

Lacy, am I to suppose that you, too, were saved after watching the unedited "25th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist," just like me?

6. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

If that is a joke, it demonstrates a great lack of maturity. If it is true, it just shows that our big God will certainly meet you where you are.

My Mom wouldn't let me go see that show. I thank God for her discernment, and I have honored her by never seeing it to this day. I would hope you wouldn't take a sunday school class to see it.

Lacy

7. humble servant

humble servant New Member

Through the "Passion" or whatever source of media I believe that sometimes we forget that Christ was not only crucified physically but he was crucified spiritually. The ENTIRE sins of the world were placed upon him that terrible. This is more suffering than any mortal can even comprehend. I thank God everyday for that Perfect sacrifice. Praise God Almighty!!!

8. TeenforChrist

TeenforChrist New Member

My Uncle was saved because of the movie
    "The Passion Of The Christ"!!!!!!! After the movie he bought a bible and started to ask questions to my dad. [​IMG] Now he's a Christian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

God can use anything to change lives!!! :D

TFC [​IMG]

9. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Great to hear it! It is my belief that God can use anything as an instrument to bring us to Him. While others disagree with me in my support of the film, no one can dispute the fact that God used this film to open your uncle's eyes.

10. TeenforChrist

TeenforChrist New Member

Two of my friends also just accepted Jesus into their lives [​IMG] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TFC :D [​IMG]

11. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

That's great news about your uncle and your friends!

[ March 30, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: C.S. Murphy ]

12. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Thanks for sharing this great news. [​IMG]
    Murph

13. Forever settled in heaven

Thanks for sharing this great news. [​IMG]
    Murph
    </font>[/QUOTE]it is gt news indeed! n we ought to sincerely rejoice in the fact that God uses ANY means He sovereignly chooses to redeem ppl to Himself.

[ March 30, 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: C.S. Murphy ]

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes. I see the spiel comes from Kingdom Baptist Church...

I'm familiar with their "preaching" in downtown Fort Worth :rolleyes:

I don't know about anyone else, but screaming at passersby, "You're going to hell!", is not a very helpful presentation of the gospel. I also don't think it is appropriate to step in front of couples walking down the street and inform women that they are "going to hell" because they have the nerve to wear pants in public. (If they do that again to us again, the fella might get more than a sharp rebuke. :mad: )

And what is with the tracts that claim that if Christians attend movies and or watch television, they might miss "the rapture"?

Kingdom Baptist needs to stop waving their KJV bibles and take some time to read them. They need to learn from Jesus before they attempt to fix others.

15. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I don't necessarily agree with Kingdom's techniques but it seems a bit hypocritical to tolerate violent rated R movies because "someone might get saved" but to condemn (over?)zealous street preaching, where I am certain many have been saved. (I have several dear friends who were saved from Refuge/Kingdom's weekend soulwinning. One was saved the day before he and his wife were to divorce. He is a deacon now and his family is on fire for God.)

Lacy

16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That’s good because they are clearly not of God.

Who are you calling hypocritical? What makes you think you know my position on “The Passion”?

That’s not my position, so it is clear you are making assumptions.

Not so much preaching, but instead legalistic personal attacks against those who may not share the warped views of Kingdom Baptist Church. Would you like to have someone approach you and your wife on the street and scream at her that she is “going to hell” because she happens to be wearing pants? (The most ironic thing is that if she were wearing a dress, she would be fighting to keep it from blowing over her head because of the severe updrafts in that part of downtown caused by the skyscrapers and the tall retail complex – she is more modest in pants than if she were wearing a dress and no one could confused her with being a man.)

Of course, that’s only one incident I’ve had with that bunch over the past two years. They regularly bring shame upon the name of Christ by their mean-spirited attacks that seem to be inspired by a martyr complex.

God can use legalists and Hollywood movies to bring people to Himself, but the God is the one who saves.

If he is saved, God did it. It does not justify the actions of the church members of Kingdom Baptist Church. I certainly hope that your friend being “on fire for God” does not mean that he has shipwrecked his spiritual life upon the deadening legalism of that church.

17. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I'm sorry. I was just referring to the general tenor of this thread. (Just look at the last two or three threads.) I knew I messed up when I posted. I'll try to be more careful.

What is your position on the Passion?

I can't speak for the members of Kingdom. I've been gone from there for about 6 years but their street preaching has nothing to do with the theme of the parody that Joey wrote.

Lacy

18. Spirit and Truth

Spirit and Truth New Member

Originally posted by Lacy Evans:

I don't necessarily agree with Kingdom's techniques?

BB:

That's good because they are clearly not of God.

S&T:

Neither is the Passion.

BB:

They regularly bring shame upon the name of Christ by their mean-spirited attacks that seem to be inspired by a martyr complex.

S&T:

So does the movie everytime it is shown.

19. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Friends this thread has gone far off course, I had to look back to page one and find out myself. I urge everyone to do the same before posting again. Let's either put it back on track or start anew.
    Murph

20. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Hmm, I haven't really seen any passion supporters that have made this statement, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. The FACT of the matter is that the Bible simply states, "They scourged Him." That is what the Holy Spirit inspired, and that is good enough for me.

However, the problem lies with us... as the message at my church I heard a couple of weeks ago stated, WE have sanitized Jesus' death, teaching it in Sunday School matter-of-factly and making it a nice little event. We know it was brutal and painful, but we don't really think about it, nor do we grasp how brutal it was (the film is nothing compared to probably what it was really like).

Again, anything's possible, and this film could be made, but this seems to be a strawman argument you keep using in every thread to oppose the Passion. I fail to see how depicting what Jesus did for us on the cross compares to a sinful act David did with a married woman. To me, the two do not have anything in common, other than that they are depicted in the Bible and that we are not given much detail regarding either.

God bless!