1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE PASSION OF CHRIST & THE ORIGINAL ENGLISH...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by rbrent, Feb 25, 2004.

1. rbrent

rbrent New Member

{Mel Gibson} "...also said his company would ride close herd on the subtitling abroad to make sure the translations were in sync with the original English.
    He seemed to be uninterested in an eventual network airing: Unlikely, he said, given that "we'd want them to do it in one piece, with no commercials." MEL GIBSON'S ORIGINAL ENGLISH

YEAH, I KNOW - BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE THAT'S WHAT HE MEANS...

2. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Just had this idea; Why don't we ask the webmaster to change the Title of BB to "Passion of the Christ" Discussion Board? That's just about what it's turned into!

Not belittling your post rbrent, no, not at all. I fully understand and concur with your objection.

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Um, what??? I don't get it.

4. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I don't get what your "it' is, I just don't get "it"? Be more specific, Brian, too many "its" to choose from.

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I don't understand the point of rbrent's post, nor what he's trying to imply, nor why this is in the Bible versions forum.

6. rbrent

rbrent New Member

the original English

The MVs get so "exercised" at the KJVOs because the MVs believe - with not one verse of scripture to prove their belief that inspiration is limited to the original autographs.

They keep "pinging the turret" of the KJVOs because the KJVOs believe God preserved His infallible word for English-speaking people, in the KJV - you know, the original English...

Now according to the news article, Mel Gibson intends to be very careful to insure that foreign subtitles of his Passion movie are in sync with the original English...

No, you MVs can't go blaming Mel's Movie on the KJVOs...

No, Mel isn't a KJVO... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It means that the subtitles should be in sync with the original English script. I just saw the movie and the subtitles are definitely NOT KJV.

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Some "MVs" do, some don't. Of those that do, some simply "believe" it, some make it into "doctrine". But anyway, I digress...

You lost me with the "original English" bit. Do you mean perfect English?

Ah. I get it now. [​IMG] But obviously he's talking about the original script of the movie which had spoken parts translated into Aramaic.

Don't worry. [​IMG]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread even confuses me. If Gibson wants to link his Aramaic/Latin/Hebrew sound track with "English" it will be with a Catholic translation.

Not an Anglican one!

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems as if RBrent isn't happy because the English translation is in the English of today and not in the English of 400 years ago. Sounds like another KJVO humbug to me.

And I have a copy of Beowulf, repro'd from the oldest known copies. Seems THAT would be "original English" as anything older would be in Frisian, neo-Germanic, Saxon, etc.