1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The Passion of the Christ" supporters thread

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dianetavegia, Mar 16, 2004.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I asked Webmaster if I might begin a thread where those who are supporters of The Passion of the Christ can share their thoughts, witnessing opportunities, etc. without fear of rebuke. He gave me that permission. ANY negative remarks will be deleted without explanation.

Diane

2. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'm amazed, Webmaster, to hear that The Passion of the Christ will be shown in countries that don't allow the Bible! This is certainly a blessing! Even those who haven't heard, can now 'hear'!

Diane

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Mel Gibson was asked to explain the hideous 'baby' Satan is holding in one scene in The Passion of the Christ. Here's his answer:

http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/news/040301-passion.html

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, Diane, I thought this use of dramatic license to portray Satan was very effective and likely more realistic. Satan is attractive and alluring. This isn't a "good guys wear white hats and bad guys wear black hats" depiction.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Also, Johnv, since we are viewing 'Satan' through they eyes of 'Christ' in the movie, Christ would see him as he is!

My prayer partner, Jennie (27), is taking her unsaved relatives to see the movie on Friday night. She and I went together earlier.

Diane

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have had 6 people come to Christ through the Passion ministry at the church.

My wife's friend was one of them!

Last Sunday another friend came to church with us.

Over the next three weeks we will be showing a DVD during our Wednesday evening "Growth Groups" that help to clarify the gospel message and answer questions that people may have had about the movie. The presentations are pointedly aimed at curious people who have questions about what they have seen in the movie and want to know more.

Rob

8. renmar

renmar Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am one of the supporters of this film, and since I tend to get 'tongue-tied', I won't go to the other thread about it. Sure there were inaccuracies, but it was made by a man. A man who tried very hard to make it accurate. I had tears rolling down my face watching them beat my Saviour. Then when they were nailing Him to the cross!! Oh man! It even had my daughter (who does not claim Christianity) thinking about it later.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Oh Renee! I know what you mean. Did you see Scarlett's beautiful post about how the movie touched her?

Diane

10. uhdum

uhdum New Member

I have heard several instances from my friends and acquaintances of either how they were touched by the film or how their friends accepted Christ soon afterward.

I wish those who oppose the film would realize that we are not advocating that it overtake the Bible as our standard for truth and evangelism, but simply as a tool that God can use for His glory.

God bless!

11. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since this film was done so well, made so much money, and has been accepted in places and cultures where we normally wouldn't see the Gospel presented, I would like to see Mel make another film. One that would cover things never really done by Hollywood before. Call it "The Glory of the Christ", and have it depict Christ's miracles, briefly review the passion, and then go on to do the resurrection and all of His appearances after, ending with the ascension and great commission. Wouldn't that be cool!

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wow, I'd love to see re-enactments of the many miracles of Christ! That would be cool! I think of when Jesus approached the lepers who were calling to him from far off....

Reports say that Hollywood is now realizing that Christians have money and Christians will go see decent movies. We may just see a resurgence of more family friendly/ Christian friendly movies! I sure hope so!

Diane

13. onestand

onestand New Member

One of my favorite things about this movie is when people from the croud or even a soldier would meet eye to eye with Jesus and you could see it in their face they realized Jesus was who he claimed to be. I really appreciated Mary's role in this movie, watching her son go through all this must have been the worst possible thing for her, of course not even close to what it was like for Jesus himself.

14. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a website, linked from the official movie site, where folks can post how the film has affected them. Treat yourself to reading these, it will be a blessing! [​IMG]
    PASSION responses

15. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. renmar

renmar Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see it, Diane, where can I find it?

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thank you for starting this thread Diane.

I wanted to post this on some of the other threads but ended up arguing about the film instead.

At the showing I went to we had a group passing out tracts afterwards, not from my church but from another Baptist church in the area. We had one teenager trust Christ. Well she asked if she could be baptized. The pastor of that church said sure, Sunday. She said no right now. Well the other youth members of that church that were present started talking and four of them were saved but had not been baptized. Well I was just watching you know. The other pastor who's church several of these young people attended said that they needed to wait until Sunday because the baptismal pool was empty and no one was at the church and to let their families know and so on, remember this was after the movie about 10 PM on a Thursday night.

Well they wanted to get baptized that night. So we all went down to the boat landing at a nearby lake and had a nighttime baptismal service there on the boat ramp. A total of five were baptized including the young lady who trusted Christ that night.

How is that for the Lord using the film.

18. Debby in Philly

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a beautiful story! I pray that those young people might have the courage to take a stand to their families and others around them for Christ. Praise the Lord!

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Wow! That is amazing!
    My best friend Jennie took her parents and aunts and uncles to see the film last night. I was at the women's conference at our church and many women were talking about how it convicted them of how flippant they had been about what Jesus did for us and how they had rededicated their lives to the Lord.

Diane

20. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

[​IMG]

Qataris stand in line to buy tickets of Mel Gibson's film, The Passion of the Christ!

DOHA - Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ" made its debut Sunday in Qatar, the first Gulf Arab state to publicly screen the controversial movie.

The movie will be shown to the public in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) beginning March 31 after being given the green light by the ministry of culture and information, the UAE's Gulf News reported Sunday. The film is being shown three times a day in a cinema in Doha and will be screened for at least one month.

Three other Gulf states are currently still reviewing the film.