1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The pastor's schedule

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by BroChris, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Ok here's my 5 cents worth (inflation),

Is it not more important to have a schedule based around a pastor's core function rather than church activity or cultural/ecclesiastical/congregational expectations and requirements?

I know many pastors who are extremely busy but in my humble opinion are not fullfilling their biblically mandated functions, the most neglected of all being the function of visionary leadership as opposed to a maintainance mindset, and preparing the saints for works of service as opposed to running programs to fill gaps and solve problems.

You cannot put a value or time limit on pastoral work because it is both spiritual and eternal. The pastor doesn't clock in and clock out. As a lay person who works an average of 12 hours a day, leads 2 midweek bible studies and is involved in a number of other personal and ministry projects( not at all to the neglect of my family and spouse I and she can both assure you) I sometimes find the "Oh I'm so busy" pill a little hard to swallow. I would rather have a pastor who puts in less hours than me but invests himself strategically and produces quality, tangible results than one who is busier than me but is actually accomplishing very little!

2. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

what would you say makes up the pastor's duties, biblically?

3. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The problem, as I see it, is too many people treat preaching as an employment, a job. It is not. I see some talking about taking the day off. How do ya'll accomplish that?

Preaching isn't something I do, preaching is something I am. I can't get away from it. When I'm not reading the studying the bible or a book about the bible or a related topic, I'm thinking about those things.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

First and foremost is the word. The office of deacon was created by the apostles (according to their special authority) so that they wouldn't have to leave the word of God and "serve tables." People today are laying so many tasks on preachers that it is pulling them away from the word. Instead, the deacons and other church members should be doing what they can to relieve that burden so that he can spend more time in study, meditation, and prayer.

5. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Amen! and Amen! :thumbs:

Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, β€œIt is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables. Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business; but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”
    The New King James Version. Acts 6:2–4.

6. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Although we quote the reference on choosing deacons in order to release pastors to focus on the word, the reference actually relates to the apostles who were the foundation of the church not pastors. Although waiting on God and spending time with the word is necessary and essential, it is not the only necessity and function. A more biblically accurate picture is 3-fold. 3 different greek words are used to refer to the office which highlight his 3 core functions: Pastor-shepherd, Bishop-administrator and Elder-oversight. These can be further broken down into specific tasks related to each function. Added to that are other biblical expectations by command or implication eg. Do the work of an evangelist. The over-arching aim of all of it is to prepare Gods people for works of service.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I thought it was created to correct the pastor and keep him in line:laugh:

Sad thing is I actually heard one say this just a few weeks ago.

8. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I had a friend who referred to his diaconate as the demon board not the deacon board! He he he

9. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

VERY well stated.:applause:

10. Bro K

Bro K New Member

I'm wondering how the Old Timers ever made it!!!! Oh Yes, they had the BIBLE and let the HOLY SPIRIT prepare their path.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No phone, no cell phone, no pagers, and just a horse and a gun. In many cases they were the best educated.