1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pilgrims Test

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Martin, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This should be fun/interesting:

Without doing a google search (etc) how many of these questions can you answer correctly? (I will post the answers later).

1. Where were the people known as the Pilgrims from originally?

2. Why did the Pilgrims leave their original hometown and where did they go?

3. Give at least two reasons they chose to come to America.

4. Where did the Pilgrims first land in the "new world"?

5. Where did the Pilgrims finally set up camp in the "new world"?

6. Who was the governor the Pilgrims "elected" while still on the Mayflower?

7. Who was the second governor?

8. What group of indians did the Pilgrims become friendly with?

9. Who was a Sachem of those indians?

10. Name at least two indians who could speak english and therefore acted as translators between the Pilgrims and the English.

Good Luck!!

and remember...no cheating!!!

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No takers? :wavey:

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm assuming the "pilgrims" are the same people as "The Pilgrim Fathers". If so, I'll have a go at answering some of the questions, as there have been no takers so far - I have deleted the questions for which I have no answer without recourse to Google:

Great Britain

I must admit that I didn't know they all came from the same hometown, but they left their home country for the Netherlands (Holland) to avoid persecution.

Perhaps because they were not fluent in Dutch, and there were already British settlers in America. Was there a financial incentive from the Plymouth Company? (Just a guess)

Another guess - Plymouth, Massachusetts, named, of course, after Plymouth, Devon, England, their port of departure. Nowadays, "The Pilgrims" is the nickname of Plymouth Argyle, the local football (i.e. soccer) team.

Not a very good effort, but I tried.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a bad try David! :thumbs:

==O, that was a very good try. I imagine you got more right than most would. Maybe that is why there have been few takers on this thread. I will provide the answers in a few days when others have had a chance to respond. :thumbs:

5. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thank you for your kind words, not deserved at all :)

Just a comment, certainly not intended to be argumentative or critical:

I am fairly certain that by no means all the Pilgrim Fathers came from Scrooby, or even from Nottinghamshire (the county in which the little village of Scrooby is situated). The entries in the Mayflower's passenger list indicate this. Here are just a few examples:

Fuller, Edward Died during the first winter. Bp. Redenhall, Norfolk, September 1575, son of Robert Fuller. Married, unknown, by about 1605.

Hopkins, Giles son by first marriage Bp. 30 January 1607/8, Hursley, Hampshire, England. Died at Eastham, between 5 March 1688/9 and 16 April 1690, Eastham, MA

Howland, John Of Fenstanton, Huntingdonshire, son of Henry and Margaret ____ Howland. Born about 1592/3-9. Died at Plymouth, 23 February, 1672/3. He was nearly swept to his death during a severe storm on the passage.

Martin, Christopher Of Great Burstead, Essex, merchant. Birth by about 1582, died Plymouth, January 8, 1620/1.​

The above entries are from the site: http://www.mayflowersteps.co.uk/pilgrim/who.html#AlphaB where the only entry mentioning Scrooby is:

Brewster, William Born in 1566 or 1567, prob. Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, son of William Brewster. Died at Duxbury, 10 April, 1644. He married before 1593.​

I understand (from a google search) that the plans for the emigration were made at Scrooby, though.

By the way, I found that site a bit confusing, because it listed several people as having died in Plymouth, and to me, living just 29 miles from Plymouth, Devon, England, it looked as though they died before they even boarded the Mayflower. But of course the site was referring to the Plymouth in America! :)

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Without doing a google search (etc) how many of these questions can you answer correctly? (I will post the answers later).

England.

They left because of religious persecution. They were persecuted because they did not attend the state church. They fled to Holland where they settled for a few years.

They left Holland because their children began adapting to the Dutch culture. They feared they would loose their Christian heritage is the Dutch culture pervaded them. They came to America for religious freedom, to establish a colony where they could worship God without persecution.

I only know that reason. :(

4. Where did the Pilgrims first land in the "new world"?

They first landed on 'Plymouth rock'. I am not sure the city. Possibly, they landed first at Nova Scotia and then went searching for a more suitable location, eventually landing at Plymouth Rock.

6. Who was the governor the Pilgrims "elected" while still on the Mayflower?

Hrm.. It was either John Smith or William Bradford.

7. Who was the second governor?

Either John Smith or William Bradford.

8. What group of indians did the Pilgrims become friendly with?

The Lenape, or Delaware Indians.

9. Who was a Sachem of those indians?
    A Sachem??

10. Name at least two indians who could speak english and therefore acted as translators between the Pilgrims and the English.

Squanto is the only one I know.

I hope I did good. :)