1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The point of intoxication

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SoulWinningLady, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulWinningLady

SoulWinningLady New Member

I understand where you are comming from but this is what comes to my mind.
    Was it ok for a Jew of the OT to just take one bite of a porksteak. If he didn't like get full on it or anything. He just took one bite. Would he need to repent?
    I am glad to hear you don't drink. I think its VERY important for those of us who are raising our children and teaching them never to drink to not associate with those who do. I think we should take caution for those who drink in moderation. Let me tell you what happened recently to me.
    I am teaching my children that the bible says to stay away from drinkinig. My brothers drink, most everyone else in my family drinks. I feel its up to God to deal with them. Its really not my place to convict them of this. Now, will I allow my children to spend the night in a home that has free access to alchol? Absolutley NOT. I think one definatly has the right to judge others as far as whether or not to draw certain lines when it comes to children ect. The bible says don't make your brother stumble. I don't see how it is wrong as a christian to take caution regarding things that might make us stumble.

:wavey:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Christ taught His disciples that He would not drink wine until His return.

As leaders of His church and followers of Him, we should abstain until we are with Him out of respect.

Then we will know how much is enough or too much . . .

3. SoulWinningLady

Ahh, can you imagine how tasty it will be. Just imagine the food up there in heaven! Man, I cannot wait to taste what the feast will be. God's cooking will be the best we have ever had.

:tongue3:

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it takes 10 hamburgers to make you a glutton and you only eat one hamburger - are you 1/10 glutton?

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

SWL

You are starting to sound intoxicated . . .

:saint:

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, technically judging others in question of drink is not the OP, but let it pass, let it pass. I have to get to bed--it's late here in Japan.

Oyasumi nasai ("Sleep well.") :sleep:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Oyasumi . . .

8. whatever

whatever New Member

OT law forbade pork. There is no such prohibition of alcohol, so it's not really the same kind of issue. There are warnings given, and drunkenness is prohibited, but being the literalist that I am, I have to believe that when Jesus said that unlike John the Baptist He came "eating and drinking" that He meant what He said. Others think that Jesus only meant that He hing out with others who were eating and drinking, but that's not really what He said.

I think it's good for anyone, Christian or not, to avoid alcohol except maybe medicinally. My only concern in this whole debate is whether one Christian ought to judge another in questions of food or drink. I think Colossians 2:16 makes this clear, and so far I haven't seen anyone even try to address this passage. I think asking "how many can I have?" is the wrong approach. Two better questions, in my opinion, are "why do I want to drink?" and "why does it bother me if someone else drinks but does not get drunk?", and I wish we could talk about those questions sometime.

9. whatever

whatever New Member

Yeah, I know, but I think that's at the root of these endless alcohol threads.

Nite-nite.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ummm...maybe because it was posted at 1:48 AM? Get real...

To answer your question, I believe it's when the senses are impaired, as was stated in the definition given. It depends on a person's gender, weight, and numerous other factors. There isn't a single answer for everyone, in the same way there isn't a single amount of food that constitutes gluttony.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. If it takes 4 double cheeseburgers to make you commit gluttony, does eating one make you a 1/4 glutton?

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not necessarily true. These can come on as a result of lifestyle choices.

13. UberSmith

UberSmith New Member

Non-Baptist posting in a Baptist Only Section of the BB. Please restrict your posts to the BB sections that are open to All Christians.

#33 UberSmith, Aug 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2006
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pershun-'ly I nebber uh LOUW my shelf two get entoxxa ---uh entocksshak--- uh intockssha -- Howse (Hic!) you schpelll thhat agai...??"

Ed

15. SoulWinningLady

This is a baptist ONLY part of the board. Your techincally not allowed to post in here. THAT is why these things you don't like are "all over" this board.

16. SoulWinningLady

The verse in Clolssians does not apply here. That was specifiacally for the gentiles and the jews and the issues they were judging them for. If a Gentile wants to have a porksteak sandwich, a jew cannot use the law against him.
    Why do I want to drink? Goed question. I think many might say, so i can relax.
    Why does it bother me if soneone else drinks but does not get drunk? Lets take my children for instance. Bringing them around that kind of influence might cause them to stumble into drunkeness. Its better not even to go down that road at all. We live in America. I live in the #1 beer captial of america. It bothers me. It would be very hard for me to see my pastor at a dinner drinking wine on Saturday night. I woudl think, well if he does it, why shouldn't I. There MUST be a standard here. No one wants to claim it. They just want to sit and poke liberal injections of how judgemental it is to say drinking is a sin. There is NOTHING GOOD ABOUT DRINKING. Its fulfilling a fleshy desire. Its a lust of the flesh.
    Why does it bother me? Becaus it can cause ANYONE to stumble.

There, I said it.
    :type:

17. whatever

whatever New Member

The principle is much broader than Jews judging Gentiles. Paul goes on to say in verses 20-23 that "standards" like the one you are looking for have an appearance of wisdom but they cannot make one pure.

You make some good points about potentially influencing those who are weaker, but there are other things that people in the Bible were called on to give up which are not sinful, so this doesn't mean that drinking alcohol is sinful.

If it's liberal to call on people to not judge others falsely then both Jesus and Paul were liberals.

If someone drinks a glass of wine just because they like it, and they do not get drunk, and there is no one around to be offended by it, exactly how is it a "lust of the flesh"?

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

Drinking alcohol is not sinful? According to Psalm 75:8, your statement is wrong.

It is the wicked who drink the alcohol.

Are you saying God's people are supposed to be wicked?

19. whatever

whatever New Member

I'm saying that Psalm 75:8 is speaking figuratively of the judgment of God on the wicked, not literally of alcohol.

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

Amazing! Everywhere wine is mentioned in the Bible except Psalm 75 is alcoholic; in Psalm 75 it is only figurative.

NOT!

Look at the verse. Psalm 75:8 ...but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them. It is not God's judgment.

The wicked are making and drinking the alcohol. It is not God giving it to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.