1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The politics of being a Christian

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by El_Guero, Jan 7, 2007.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brethren (that does include ladies),

I wrote this quickly and apologize for typo's and mistakes. Please allow me a little latitude because of the speed with which I typed. Those of you that have read my threads and posts, know that I normally form my threads and posts better and shorter - for clarity.

The politics of being a Christian: I have noticed that Conservative stands on this board are sometimes met with attacks.

This is not because it is a conservative position and liberals have to attack - some of the most liberal members of this board do not act in that manner. And sometimes they and I get carried away. But, the recent heatedness on the board feels more like: we want that subject to be taboo than it does level headed discussion and debate.

QUESTION: Should we make certain subjects taboo?

#1 El_Guero, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No. As long as sides do not attack each other or take attacks on issues personally.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Ditto Roger.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are principals eluded to or expounded on in the Bible that every believer should agree on. For instance a Christian should have no illusion as to the sanctity of life. A baby should be afforded full protection against the onslaught of liberal ideology concerning abortion. It should be fully ingrained in each one of us. But it is not.

The Lord placed such a high value on human life that he demands a life for a life.
    But the Christians on here do not conform to anything like a consensus.

How about the politics concerning our most helpless? Terry Schiavo was summarily executed by an evil judge and unfaithful husband. How many Christians agreed with that series of decisions? Several on here did.

We Christians should be the salt and light for a dying civilization but we are so engrossed in political correctness that we cannot even insist on evolutionism being taught as a theory, let alone creationism being taught.

God is very clear on the homosexual issue, yet many on here defend it, claiming some higher knowledge than the Bible. That higher knowledge is the politically correct aspect of secular humanism, that many worship.

I feel bad when a confessed Christian stands up for issues from the worlds standpoint instead of the Bibles.

We wrest not against flesh and blood, but against spiritual wickedness in high places. Eph. 6

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we Christians have to bear in mind is that just because something is a sin does not mean that the government should ban it and just because something is righteous does not mean that the government should subsidize it with taxpayer dollars.

The government is not the church and the church is not the government.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Agree with Roger. All issues can be discussed. Now, if someone were to be in favor of abortion, killing the helpless, or for homosexual rights, it would make me pause and wonder about that person's witness and salvation, even though I still dont know.

However, with all that said, you or no one else has any right to define issues to be discussed.

#6 saturneptune, Jan 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2007
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Please use the "Report Post" button to make us aware of such posts. There are in violation of the following rule:

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no Biblical warrant for basing a person's salvation on his political stances.

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Some people seem to mistake defending homosexuals with condoning homosexuality. I don't think it's the same thing.

10. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I'm reasonably intelligent, but I fail to see a significant difference.

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

How do I turn off my sig? I went in and erased it but it still appears in posts.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

A recent example would be the people accused of condoning homosexuality when they did not agree that homosexuals should be murdered for "coming on" to a straight soldier. Then there are the people who are accused of condoning homosexuality when they do not agree with gay bashing, equal rights, etc.,etc. Basically the people accused of condoning homosexuality for saying "hate the sin, love the sinner".

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Well I can remember just a very short time ago I was accused of defending homosexuality because I took a stand against murdering them. There is in this case a very significant difference. And shame on anyone who would condone such an action.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thats why I said I did not know. Whats the matter, oil profits take so long to count you forgot how to read?

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

It's one thing to decry homosexual activity. It's quite another to advocate the oppression of homosexuals.

The first is a proper Christian response. The second is not something a Christian would do.

16. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

:thumbs: Exactly!

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

What would be an example of oppressing Homosexuals.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Galatian, amen.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point, Daisy.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not disagreeing with your statement. I was simply making a statement of my own.