1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The poor don't have it so bad.

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Robert Snow, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Quite agree Mr. Moderator.....tolerance is the refuge of the fearful & I wouldn't tolerate it either however I stand by my original comments & if Rev Mitchell wishes to grow up and speak to me as a man I will have a conversation. If not I stand by my original comments.

Have a blessed day!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A believer that loves sin? How can you love sin? Do you not have the Holy Spirit within you convicting you of sin? Don't you have the new nature that is at war with sin? I hate sin. I become physically ill when I realize that I have sinned. I avoid it at all costs. Hey - guess what? My husband became wealthy, powerful and educated without sin. He started a business and was a pioneer in his industry yet he was known as the man with character. His customers knew that he could be counted on and trusted. No sin was needed. It CAN be done. God does not honor sin. Ever.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do ... thats why I struggle so. Ive been my own man & on my own since I was 12 YO. Not that its an excuse, its more of "well you've done it that way for 40 years & have been successful so why stop now". Don't mess with success kinda thing. If I do then I will have to fire allot of people who are depending on me. Was your husband ever put in that predicament? Guess I shouldn't care because thats sentimentality & a really strong man should not be sentimental. After all its my salvation at stake, right?

And Yes the holy spirit is in a continuous harangue with me over it so Ive got some pretty big & expensive decisions to make

OK I will stop wining about it now & fire them... thanks for the help with this Ann. I feel so much better now.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

E,W&F:

Your selfish pride is quite evident in your posts. You might want to spend some time on your knees before God before you post again. I hope and pray that you will.

Mex

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very selfish & very prideful! & thanks for your prayers, OK?

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only someone who has a lot can say something like this. There are a lot of Poor in the United States that struggle day to day as they are taken advantage of by the wealthy, the government, and everyone else. This country is not good to its poor. Excuses are often well its not as bad as in africa as the wealthy continue to increase their holdings off the backs of the poor. I'm certain the slaves in Egypt had it better the famine starved Canaan too.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Koolaide drinkers love to play the wealth envy card.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You poor thing, you. :rolleyes:

When Obama gives up his salary for the poor and turns the White House into a homeless shelter then maybe all will be right with the world.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Some folks want to preach from an ivory tower about how bad the poor are treated by the evil rich. I wonder if Thinking Stuff has sold all his evil possessions and given his evil gain to the poor? Maybe he should use what he pays for internet service to help pay for a few meals down at the local homeless shelter. After all, what he pays for internet service would provide many meals for the poor.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Are there some poor folk who are purely victims? Sure there are. Folks with crushing medical debts. Folks whose breadwinner walked out on them. Folks who have truly been victimized by another. Folks whose means of employment has crumbled beneath tnem.

But there are also many, many folks who are poor due to consequences of their decision-making.

Such as (but by no means limited to):

• Out-of-wedlock babies
    • Dropping out of school
    • Criminal behavior/record
    • Choosing an unmarketable degree
    • Bad business decisions
    • Poor impulse control/Debt
    Now...should we be mean to these folks? Of course not. That won't help them. But...should we enable said behavior? Should we attempt to make them "feel better" about their decisions, or shift the blame to another...or seek to ameliorate the consequences of said actions? No, that's the other extreme; which is as least as damaging, if not more.

Wisdom is knowing who to encourage, and who needs a kick in the pants.

I'm a wise guy...but I'm not sure I'm a wise man.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not poor. And I'm a world traveler. I see things as they are. Do you? I've been poor and I see other people who are poor. I understand their problems and struggles. I think you guys fall for the "if you do right by God then you'll be wealthy like Job" mentality. I have to say its contra - gospel. The bible constantly informs us to pay fair wages and provide for employees and such. However, I've notice a trend for business to offer lower wages and ignore health care benefits. The age of responsible business practices are over when profits were not only used to increase market position, and capital, but to increase pay for employees and provide retirement benefits for them as they invested responsibly. Slow steady growth was mantra. Now its the get rich quick and kill the company and to hell with the employees. In order for the wealthy powerbrokers to maintain position and status they have club med meetings with government allowing for the shrinking middle class and poor become more reliant on those who provide less and expect more. People I think you've forgoten the early coal mining days when the companies wouldn't pay in regular money and only provided corporate cash. They prohibited purchases outside company stores and charged exhorbitant amount for basic survival needs. This is where our country is proceeding. And Christians look the other way. Why? Because of their party affiliation even when their party is wrong! I'm sick of increasing health care cost because we are dealing with a closed system resembling an Oligopoly! Companies don't want to act responsibly in our country so what do they do? Go to other countries where they can take advantage of slave labor and irresponsible practices allowed by simple bribes. I know how it works. I see it. It sickens me. Adam Smith's vision was that we all grow wealthy together is now banana republics govern the world. The Money stays with the few and relegates the vast majority to poverty as they continue to get less for more work.
    Jesus would be incensed at this state of affairs.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now Im curious Rbell..... how do you separate the wheat from the chaff?

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And you have no mercy on them? How does God handle the issue? He provided for them in the Law. It doesn't say in the law if they make a bad decision don't leave a tenth of your land so the poor can glean from it. The woman caught in adultry what does Jesus say"I condemn you even as all these condemn you. Submit to being stoned?"
    Yes people have failings these are the same failings in the wealthy btw and which the wealthy can and do hide.
    One of the things I learned when I finally moved to live in the US. Having no family support and no community to rely on decent jobs were hard to come by and living was a real struggle. Fortunately God saw me through it and I came out better off then when I got here. But there are serious issues in this country.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

15. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

--irony hat on--

Yes, this is the wisdom we can learn from. It is clearly the poor's fault that they have been in bad circumstances and have failed to make the same decision the middle and upper class people have chosen to do.

I guess it is like salvation a bit, I chose to be a sinner from birth and I knew that my pathway would be wicked, but God, in His great wisdom, made sure I knew it was the Law I was to obey and that by making right decision I could be saved from myself.

Yes beating the poor should help us show them how wrong they are for being poor. If they only could realize that without a suitable education, suitable means of getting an education, reasonable expectations, creating a grand vision from their section 8 housing, and realizing that it is really just their fault for being poor than they could become like the rest of us middle class white people.

Beatings are exactly what they need.

Whenever I need wisdom I definitely know I can turn to you.

--irony hat off--

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

When you feel you qualify for this "kick in the pants" let me know. I would love to help you out! :tongue3:

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert......:thumbsup:

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Don't you just love the preaching from the ivory towers with such a concern for the poor? It comes with lots of hypocritical admonishment talking down to those who actually believe in personal responsibility but in reality presenting no real solutions to the problem.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Yeah, I mean, it's OKAY for THEM to live in the "tower"- it's just not right for US.:rolleyes:

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You misassociate. In other words you are saying every poor person is poor because they don't hold to personal responsibility. This just isn't true. So in fact it is you who are living in the ivory towers of opportunity not supplied to everyone equitably.