1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pope on our relationship with Jesus

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Born Again Catholic, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Born Again Catholic

Born Again Catholic New Member

With all the negative comments being made on JPII I thought I would give a few of his quotes on what he actually taught about our relationship with Jesus

"It is Jesus that you seek when you dream of happiness; he is waiting for you when nothing else you find satisfies you; he is the beauty to which you are so attracted; it is he who provokes you with that thirst for fullness that will not let you settle for compromise; it is he who urges you to shed the masks of a false life; it is he who reads in your hearts your most genuine choices, the choices that others try to stifle. It is Jesus who stirs in you the desire to do something great with your lives, the will to follow an ideal, the refusal to allow yourselves to be ground down by mediocrity, the courage to commit yourselves humbly and patiently to improving yourselves and society, making the world more human and more fraternal."

"The most beautiful and stirring adventure that can happen to you is the personal meeting with Jesus, who is the only one who gives real meaning to our lives."

"Only in the encounter with him, the Word made flesh, do we find the fullness of self and happiness. Religion itself, without the experience of wondrous discovery of the Son of God and communion with him, who became our brother, becomes a mere set of principles that are increasingly difficult to understand, and rules that are increasingly hard to accept."

"Christianity is not an ideology; it is a personal encounter with the Risen Christ. The most consoling effect of this encounter is precisely, the certaintly that, this everlasting and overwhelming love with which God loves us means he will never abandon us."

"While we may have assented intellectually to the Lordship of Jesus Christ, we may not have sufficient personal experience of his power in our lives to give us the boldness and assurance to procalim him as Lord and Savior to our society and our world."

"Evangelization requires us to have a personal encounter with the Lord, a personal relationship with Jesus."

"The burning desire to invite others to encounter the One we have encountered, is the start of the evangelizing mission to which the whole Church is called."

"Neither theological knowledge nor social action alone is enough to keep us in love with Christ unless both are preceded by a personal encounter with him."

"As followers of Jesus, we progress from hearing of Christ, to encountering him personally and experiencing conversion. Conversion leads to communion with those around us, then to solidarity with the human family. When that is integrated, we are compelled to proclaim Jesus to those who have not heard, to try to reach those who turned away."

"If it is genuine, the personal encounter with the Lord will also bring a renewal of the Church: as sisters and neighbors to each other, the particular Churches of the continent will strengthen the bonds of cooperation and solidarity in order that the saving work of Christ may continue in the history of America with ever greater effect. Open to the unity which comes from true communion with the Risen Lord, the particular Churches, and all who belong to them, will discover through their own spiritual experience that the enocunter with the living Jesus Christ is the path to conversion, communion, and solidarity. To the extent these goals are reached, there will emerge an ever increasing dedication to the new evangelization of America."

“The Church wishes to serve this single end: that each person may be able to find Christ, in order that Christ may walk with each person the path of life, with the power of the truth about man and the world that is contained in the mystery of the Incarnation and the Redemption and with the power of the love that is radiated by that truth.”
    -John Paul II, Redemptor Hominis, No. 13, March 4, 1979.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This Pope has been the most ecumenical, tolerant etc that we have seen in recent history. His approach is the antithesis of the inquisition, of the "extermination policies" of the RCC in the dark ages.

I applaud his work to the extent that it has been the opposite of his notorious predicessors.

In Christ,

Bob

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

John Paul II will be greatly missed. We were, I think, as a planet, blessed by God to have seen his leadership in the Catholic Church for so many years.

4. violet

violet Guest

Great post, BAC...

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would be a wonderful thing if all Catholics would just "get" this message. Yet I can't help but say that for the most part, they probably think it just means going to mass and taking communion?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Great words; but if the "how" is never explained they are meaningless words. How can a person have a personal relationship with Jesus? By being baptize? By receiving the seven (or as many as is possible) sacraments? by receiving confirmation? by going to mass? How? Not by doing any of the above!

The answer is "You must be born again!" as Jesus said.
    But even the Catholic definition of that is in error.
    DHK

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

In support of DHK;
    Note:

http://marymediatrix.com/mim/

Her role, then, as Mother of the Church and of all the faithful, consummated under the Cross in the maternal sacrifice of her Heart transpierced, is made possible by this singular grace of her Immaculate Conception. Her "preservation" from sin is the means by which the Savior effects our "liberation" from sin. That is why He insists with Nicodemus that one cannot enter the kingdom of heaven, unless born again of water and the Holy Spirit, that is to say, unless we become children of Mary and of the Church."

Just FYI;

In HIS service;
    Jim

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I could find a lot of websites that say he says this or that. Weblinks are like dandruff, jim.

What work is that particular quotation from?

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Go to the link and find out for yourself Mr. Pizza.

You will find it is a Franciscan web site. As in St Fancis of Assisi. You know? The order of Catholic Priests?

You will also note on the site that the MIM movement was the brainchild of Fr. Stephano Maria Manelli who was himself appointed by John Paul and is in line to be possibly elected the next pope.

In HIS service;
    Jim

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yeah, big surprise that it is a Catholic website.

I can find websites that say aliens have landed and live among us, too. So?

Look, Jim, you decided that this website was a valid source for information. I don't want to go look at it, I am challenging you to research instead of eisogeting some foregone conclusion into the conversation.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No. You are agin in error Mr. Pizza.

I did NOT decide the website was a valid source of information. The webmaster of that site did. I simply accessed the public information on it and passed it on.

The fact that you don't want to go check it out for yourself tells volumes about your current mindset.

The conversation is about the pope's comments about our relationship with Jesus. I supplied documented evidence of what the pope really means by one of his cardinals and you reject it!!!

Well, as I said in another related thread..."You can lead a horse to water..."

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Yeah, that's what you said, there, jim.

You have a conclusion: the Pope and the RCC are satanic. You find a website, of whatever validity and content, which "proves" your conclusion.

Eisogesis.

But hey, it worked for Jim Bakker.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Are you really that thick? This website was provided in another thread by another member of this board in THIS forum.
    What is it with your accusations? Read it for yourself oh exalted pious one!

I note you haven't the stomach to read it from the horse's mouth, (as it were). And I beg your pardon!!! SHOW me where I even USED the term satanic! Is your conscience bothering you?

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Attacking me rather than adressing my points?

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Your "points" are about as sharp as a marble.

Care to address MY points as posted in the articles?

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. FLMike

FLMike Guest

If it's a Catholic teaching why not point out where it's taught in a Counciliar or Papal document, or at least in the Catechism?

17. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

The articles are taken from a website which espouses a Marian theology you or I do not agree with.

The OP was about JP II's belief in the neccessity of faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

What do your diatribes and cut-and-paste arguments have to do with that?

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Rosarium Virginis Mariae : A Spiritual Commentary and Proposal

by Fr. Stefano M. Manelli, FI, STD

To enter into the “mystery” of the Rosary means in fact to enter the theandric mystery of Christ and Mary; means, as the Pope teaches, to put oneself “in living communion with Jesus via, we can say, the Heart of His Mother” (n. 2) and thus attain “the contemplation of Christ’s face in the company of and at the school of His Most Holy Mother” (n. 3).

The following is a complete text of the annual letter of Fr. Stefano M. Manelli, founder and Minister General, to the members of the Franciscans of the Immaculate. The letter is rich with spiritual reflection that it comprised a wonderful commentary on the Holy Father's document: Rosarium Virginis Mariae.

:rolleyes:

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

OK.

The OP was about JP II's belief in the neccessity of faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

What do your diatribes and cut-and-paste arguments have to do with that?

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This;

"Her "preservation" from sin is the means by which the Savior effects our "liberation" from sin. That is why He insists with Nicodemus that one cannot enter the kingdom of heaven, unless born again of water and the Holy Spirit, that is to say, unless we become children of Mary and of the Church."

Do you get it yet?

In HIS service;
    Jim