1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Pope Says Don't Do THIS on Sundays

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by wopik, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I quote DietofWorms, QB, You have been unable to show records of a single recognized biblical scholar that:
    a) would claim that Jesus rose from the dead on the Sabbath ...QE
    Call me names, I am not concerned - Jesus is Lord and Judge - also mine, I pray.
    You may read how Calvin says it from articles I referred you to in www.biblestudents.co.za. You may read how Robertson admits it there, article, 'Bacchiocchi won't hear these questions'.
    You may find references to several of the most important Bible Translators and Translations of an earlier era who translate Mt.28:1 to the unequivocal conclusion Jesus rose from the dead "On the Sabbath". You will there also see how it is the newer generation of 'Versions' that changed this into a resurrection "After the Sabbath, ON the First Day". The KJV is the best known to state "In the end OF THE SABBATH ...".
    Why do the newer ones change it? Because of the issue between us - to justify Sunday, nothing else!

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I quote DietofWorms, QB, May God have mercy on your soul for all the young babes in Christ you might have turned from the true faith!!!!!!QE

Fortunately for those babes in Christ, nothing will wrest them from His hand, their lives are hid in Christ in God. So I believe is mine and pray is yours.
    Why get so excited?
    Just a few minutes ago I again received the severest curses because of 'my' 'Sabbatism' and 'Judaism' -from somebody German, and boy can a German swear!
    How I thank my Saviour for it - it is an honour and glory to be despised for His sake.

3. acts17_11

acts17_11 New Member

Hey Guess what!!!! I'M WORKING THIS SATURDAY! Overtime ya know. Kids need to eat.

Does this mean I am in need of repentance? If so I'll repent Sunday when I go to church.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So might I, I hope not though. But if, the same as with you - if the calve is in the pit .... Who cares in any case? Only God! And He CARES, lovingly, forgivingly, compassionately. Cause upon cause for the praise of his Name - even from our working on His Day of Rest! Therefore, peace, my brother in Christ, it is God's, Day of Rest - not ours! Can't you see my point? It is God's, Day of Rest in and through and for the sake of Jesus Christ. For God NEVER rested but in HIM; and so we will NEVER rest, but in HIM.
    Now come, let us share our mutual faith in Christ our Saviour, and voila! God presents His Day of Sabbath Rest "for (us) men" for precisely and for only, that very reason and purpose.
    We don't need neither are permitted to fabricate our own day, despising the Day God provided and graciously offers us unto His own glory. For it would be sin.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For it would be sin, sin for which we - the Church - today stands in need of repentance, and for which refusing to repent, the Lord shall visit upon us His judgements. God is not mocked. You have the Scriptures - as do we all - and won't be able to plead ignorance for our contempt of it.

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

The Pope has good advice that we can take and put into a "protestant" context. We're not accountable to the Pope, but we are accountable to God.

That's all I have to say on this. Moving on.

7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Before you move on Jeffrey H, just explain accountable for what?

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Taking your lines for the Pope's "good advice", my eyes haven't seen a more arrogant equaliser of God with the Pope and the Pope with God.

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm - lets take a look --

This is from the catechism of the Catholic church, the official guide for every Catholic in obeying the laws of God and the church, paragraph 2172 & 2173.
    Dies Domini is a papal encyclical on the subject of Sunday and how it is regarded by tradition to be a holy day rooted in the 10 commandments as a continuation of the 4th commandment (numbered 3 by Roman Catholics).

Some non-Catholics argue “Sunday is called the Lord's day because it is the "eighth day" which celebrates the new creation and the new covenant and, according to catechism para. 1167, is "the pre-eminent day for the liturgical assembly when the faithful gather” – but what is the position of the Catholic Church as noted from the quotes above?

Dies Domini asserts that Sunday is not the Sabbath as God gave it.

Dies Domini 21

The entire argument for Sunday as authoritative (not merely arbitrary) and as applying to all mankind is based on the continued authority of the Sabbath commandment according to the pope's argument above.

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Catholic commentary on the Baltimore catechism post
    Vatican ii explains that keeping Sunday is in obedience to the Sabbath commandment. Catholics attend "in obedience to the third commandment of God 'remember thou keep holy the Lord's day'"
    ((from "The Faith Explained" pg 241.))

page 243

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As much as I don't like many of the errors introduced by Catholicism over the centuries - I appreciate those cases where they admit to them.

In Christ,

Bob

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quoting Jeffrey H, QB, We're not accountable to the Pope, but we are accountable to God. QE.

Dear Bob Ryan,
    It's not even the Pope, but must be one of his followers who make this claim on his behalf - have you ever seen the like of it?

But I have shown you worse! Now you simply ignore me as you ignore the things I've shown you. That won't help you know.
    And what I've shown you, basically confirms what you believe yourself also, namely that the antichrist Pope will try to change God's Words - by changing the Scriptures and specifically God's Word of Law concerning His Sabbath Day.
    A would like to reiterate only one point here, and that is the changes introduced only since the RCC got involved with the spreading and translation of the Bible. I'm referring to changes each one of which pertains Jesus' resurrection on the Sabbath Day, and those are not only the textx that have to do with the resurrection, but with the crucifixion as well.
    I did give you my web-page where you could test my testing of the changes, but you are obviously very self-satisfied with your present persuasions, I say because you give no indication you consulted my studies.
    It all bears on the Sabbath Day for Jesus' sake and because of Him and His Church. Isn't that a worthy motive?

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By the buy, you may also read there my 'handling' of the Pope's entire Letter (except where he treats on the Eucharist).