1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Prayer of Jabez

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by apeman, May 18, 2001.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myreflection26:
    Wow...thats awesome!!! Perhaps the world will read it then and find Jesus more clearly. Btw...Left Behind is also from what I understand a best seller or at least was a best seller in the world.

Sue
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to agree with you, but I also see the other point of view also. Usually when the world picks up entertainment -- especially in America it is tainted by worldy products. I cannot say this for the book; however, I would be careful because Jesus always preached that we must HUMBLE ourselves before God with faith. Philip Yancey (writer--who you may not agree with) made a good statement as to why God does not answer more prayers than he does. If God were to sit down in Jerusalem, throw fire from heaven and say worship me I AM GOD. Then there would be little "choice" in the matter. By making us use faith in such a strong way God makes us love him for who he is and what he has done for us (his Son's sacrifice and grace). It is like the Rich old man who marries the young woman and is never sure the woman married for money or real love. God obviously has emotions like we do--in fact, this is my theory on one of the major ways we were created in the likeness of God. Throughout the old and new testaments we find God showing STRONG emotion toward sin or toward people who love him. Even Jesus appeared almost unprepared for the pain he suffered as a human because he prayed to his Father if there is any other way take this cup from me.
    Very quickly, I will wrap this up by telling of three young girls in India who wanted to go to Sunday School at a mission so badly that they ran upon a raging river and had "faith" that they could cross to make it to church. They drowned. Now, there is little doubt these children had the faith necessary, but God chose to let them die. Why? Because we demand of God things. If it is not within his will, then we are wrong. God, like a good Father who gives what his children need and not necessarily what they want is the answer here. I think today, too many groups are saying that we deserve to demand riches or blessings from God--when all along God may want to build our character by giving us hard times. We should pray that HIS WILL BE DONE. Not EVER demand of God anything.
    God bless, ;)

2. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

The whole idea with this is that it IS God's will for us to prosper..Jeremiah 29:11 declares this. It's not a demand of God, I for one would never demand anything of God but request in belief that God will do ABSOLUTELY!!! I am starting a home buisness and my prayer lately has been that God would enlarge my territory with this buisness and bring in money for me...not for my personal gain but so I can give it back to him thru giving to ministries of my church and to others who are obviously in need of funds.

I totally believe God hears prayers like this and blesses them too. I've seen and heard personal testimonies of many other christians who have had prayers answered way beyond thier means that they never expected.

I never denied that Christians will go thru hardships to get to the good stuff but that really doesn't have much to do with the idea of praying and believing for the request your praying for....I believe praying for God's will to be done is to pray for the things you need and want and believing it is God's will to have those things. Keep in mind once again, its not a demand, its simply believing God will do it.

Sue

3. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

To all armchair critics of Wilkinson's book, READ IT FIRST! I've read it and it and found nothing unscriptural about it.

To all of you who think that God blesses Christians only spiritually, and not materially, I say pack up your things, shave your hair, and head towards the nearest Franciscan monastery.

This is just one of those nonsensical Baptist beliefs--that God blesses Jews with material things, Christians with spiritual things. I say dispensationalism is the culprit here.

4. wingtrap

wingtrap New Member

why is this a popular book in the world?because this book does not mention Jesus' name.and if you want a powerful guideline for prayer,see mark 11:24

5. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Why does a book have to mention Jesus name for it to be good or a popular book?

Sue

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaggyWoman:
    Have you prayed it on a regular basis? Have you prayed it once, seriously? Watch out. If you pray it and are serious, it will wear you out... . .......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I don't think I have ever had a chance to talk directly with you although I have read many of your posts. Could you please explain in detail what you mean "it will wear you out" I think I know what you are talking about, but I would like to hear it from you specifically.
    Thank you very much.

7. qwerty

qwerty New Member

The prayer of Jabez and the Lord's Prayer have many similarities. Read through both and see.

True communication with God is a dialog. We talk to Him, because He is our Father, and we love Him. He talks to us, because He loves us, and because we are His children.

It is God's desire to bless those who believe in Him and trust in Him.

God even blesses those who don't love Him.

MT 5:43 "You have heard that it was said, `Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' [44] But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, [45] that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. [46] If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? [47] And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? [48] Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

8. standingfirminChrist

The Prayer of Jabez was Jabez's prayer to God.

We are not to use a prayer from the Bible to invoke an answer to what we desire.

James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.