1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The preserved Word of God for ? speaking people.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Pastor_Bob, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    gotta say, i'm getting the feeling we don't have the same definition of "preserved"... how can a certain version or other be the "current preserved Word"? :confused: What exactly is forever settled in heaven?

Anyway, from your list, i would only know about Peter Ruckman (whose doctrine i do not adhere), Jack Chick (the comics), and David Cloud (a personal friend. The brethren here had the extreme pleasure of introducing the durian to him.:smilewinkgrin: seeing you know so much about the Singaporean mindset, you would know durians, right? :thumbs:)

Very nice to meet you. :flower:

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes, the durian! Once you get past the somewhat pungent smell the taste and texture is incredible! :)

3. Forever settled in heaven

gd question ... i think it was the OP that mentioned "preserved"--
    I would seek the counsel of Missionaries or national pastors who serve in these countries and accept their choice of what they would consider to be the preserved Word of God.

This morning, I spoke to a Missionary friend from Laredo, TX who has a ministry across the border into Mexico. He endorses the 1602 Reina Valera as being the preserved Word of God for Spanish speaking people. Of course, this version pre-dates the KJV by 9 years. Upon his recommendation, I, too, would endorse this translation as being the preserved Word of God for Spanish speaking people.

Does that mean I believe everyone must learn Spanish to read the preserved Word of God? Absolutely not. That is as absurd as the claim that I believe everyone must learn English in order to read the preserved Word of God.
    so maybe he shd comment on it.

nice to meet u too! :)

as for Cloud's being a personal friend, i'm reminded of the proverb, "faithful are the wounds of a friend." there are many good things posted at Way of Life Literature, but the information on the Bible Versions issue is suspect. i'm not sure why, but he seems to rely a lot (n thus repeat) the approach n some of the untruths fr the D.A. Waite camp (n even the Ruckmanite one, which he condemns). our ultimate allegiance shd be to Christ n the truth, as revealed in His Word.

yes, durians!! good for character building, indeed! :thumbs:

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    whadda ya mean "somewhat"? It IS pungent... no doubt about it. There was once someone brought some home and we came home thinking there was a gas leak. :smilewinkgrin:
    I love durian, I'm glad you do too,TCassidy!

Met an dear Irish lady who was doing mission work in Thailand and she loved it. But she ate with a little spoon so as not to have any smell lingering on her hands.

Bro Cloud would have other things to say, though. He was waxing lyrical about how disgusting it was. (But really in a funny way. we were so amused.) He was coming up with all sorts of theories why people would come to love such a disgusting fruit, like we saw our parents and grandparents eating it so we take to it as well. But we told him not all of us like it either. :smilewinkgrin:

But I digress.... :eek:

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was trying to be polite. In reality it smells like a locker room that has not been cleaned in 12 years! :D:D:D

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Which 'one'?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Now John, do these mean the same thing they do in Kanji? Without the katakana clarification (object markers, tense, etc?)

I shoulda kept studying Japanese instead of Greek ;) . J/K actually.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Sounds like papaya . . . does it smell better or worse?

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm still lookin' for the 'preserved' version in "Redneck"!

Ed

10. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you were. ;)

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, some of them do and some of them don't. For example, the Chinese for "is" doesn't mean the same in Japanese. In fact, the Japanese rarely use it. On the other hand, there are many compounds that are the same or almost the same meaning in both languages: the word for theology, for example. Unfortunately, the quote FSIH posted was in the simplified characters instead of the traditional ones I'm used to, so I didn't catch that much of it.

In my case, I've tried to learn a few of those important but different Chinese words to use along with my kanji knowledge, but I've got a long way to go. Just study it a little at a time as a hobby, you know. Lots of fun, eh, El_Guero? Love those languages! :love2:

12. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, Ed, let's start a translation committee! :thumbs: :applause:

Seems like it ought to be a Southern Bible, though--any redneck ought to understand standard Southern, even though it's more high falutin' than he's used to.:laugh:

13. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    to be really vague... you'd have to decide for yourself....
    It might smell like gas leak or an uncleaned locker, but then by the smell you would know if it is a good quality fruit you're buying or not. Oh... let's start a conversation about durians on the All other discussions forum... :laugh:

:wavey:

14. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually understand what the OP was stating. (Yae!)

But you're the one who used the term "currently preserved" Word of God.
    Would there be outdated preserved Word(s) of God?

16. Forever settled in heaven

o no, it might simply be in reaction to KJBOs frequent claim that the KJB as the preserved Word, implying that the Bibles translated before n after it were not.

as FSIH God has His Word preserved forever! :thumbs:

17. Forever settled in heaven

wld it be possible to have ur definition, Su Wei? how far do u think we're apart?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.