1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 5, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Why only one VP debate? I thought there was going to be two. I would like to see them all be town meeting style with a lot of direct exchange between candidates. Either way, all we get are little snippets of stump speeches.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the modern era of presidential campaign debates there has never been more than one vice presidential debate. The vice presidential candidates are basically a side show to the ones who would actually be calling the shots if they win.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I wonder why I remember 3 for the P and 2 for the VP. Maybe I was just hoping...

5. targus

targus New Member

If Biden will only be a sideshow to Obama who will be calling the shots - how does he bolster Obama in the "experience" area?

That's not very reassuring.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. I guess I shouldn't have commented on the reason why there is only one VP debate so that this thread wouldn't start going off of topic of the debates.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

From what I hear, Palin will eat him alive. She has a way of saying things and making it sound very profound then puts on a look like, "I'm a beauty queen and I knew that" which then leaves her opponents with the deer in the headlight look. We also know she has a get out of jail free card since anything area's she stumbles in the conservatives will say McCain has it covered.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We'll see if Governor Palin makes the mistake of mentioning Hillary Clinton when Senator Biden can then turn and say, "I know Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is a friend of mine. Governor, you are no Hillary Clinton." :laugh:

The bottom line is we don't how Governor Palin does on her feet in a debate. We don't know how fast a learner she is about national and international issues.

We know that Senator Biden is a good debater. I watched the Democratic primary debates and was impressed by his debating ability.

Senator Biden is experienced in debates on national and international issues. Governor Palin will be a rookie in that VP debate.

We'll see what happens.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This time I want to hear what they both say. I don't want to score this like a boxing match and look for someone to deliver a knockout punch. I would like to hear their views on the issues and find out what their solutions will be. This goes for the presidential debates as well. In spite of the fact that I consider myself a democrat, I would like to listen to these debates with an open mind and really listen to what the candidates say.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't think Palin has or needs to say anything about issues. If she shows spunky and no fear toward Biden along with continues her cheap shots she will win in the public opinion polls. That's the only poll that matters in this election since neither side is presenting standard political tickets.

Palin will come in with a can full of answers but she can do no wrong so she can give the same answer to every question and they'll say we're sexist if we question her answers. They'll say she's a quick learner so anything she doesn't know now she can pick up along the way.

You already see this attitude taking shape in America. She is very much being held to a different standard. A lot of why people said the liberals flocked to Obama can be said word for word inserting Palin's name but it's different when it comes to her (insert excuse here).

Obama on the other hand will be thoroughly scrutinized and criticized by the conservatives and defended by the liberals so when all is said and done no one will change their mind and will continue to vote by allegiance and popularity...

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I have noticed how some Christian conservatives have made a political idol out of Sarah Palin.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

True, and in their defense rightly so if your only issue or concern is pro-life. We really don't know too much else about where she stands. I do know for sure she was the type of politician McCain was out to get since she and Alaska were queen of earmarks. Her 2009 Alaskan budget has over $200 Mil in earmarks but still she is seen as the reformer.... I don't get it.

Is this the budget of a reformer?

The problem is no one wants to see the facts, they are absolutely in love with Palin and she can do no wrong...

Oh, and I forgot... How about the fact that she is still building the road that led to the bridge to nowhere...

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/2008/view.bg?articleid=1116208&srvc=2008campaign&position=12

#12 LeBuick, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  13. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bolded mine

Now this is one of the most sensible, non-partisan, comments I've seen on this board in a long time.

Thank you DF!!