1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Priority of Lordship

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Apr 19, 2007.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

webdog,

I truly appreciate your post #14. I had the same "journey" as a saved teen and, through obedient to my parents, would not have been picked out as saved then even though I gave my life to Christ at age 16.

Anyway, all of that post really blessed me. Thanks! :jesus:

skypair

2. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Thanks for the Welcome

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking for months. This thread looked like a good jumping in point.

For those who might object to my referencing my own book on the Lordship issue: I am not ashamed to mention and link people to it at Amazon.

I say that as nicely as I can, but this is an important subject. I have some degree of understanding about the doctrinal concerns and practical ramifications of Lordship Salvation (LS).

In the archives of my blog site there are many related articles that come from my on line debates at various web sites. At Pulpit Magazine (a GTY web site) I had a protracted discussion with Nathan Busenitz about LS and his review of my book. Nathan (who is a real gentleman) is Dr. John MacArthur’s personal assistant. Nathan contacted and invited me to participate in the series of articles and discussion threads they were beginning on Lordship Salvation (Oct. 2006).

Nathan contacted me because a pastor reviewed my book, and his review was posted at Sharper Iron. This was my response to his review. In Defense of the Gospel: Martuneac Responds to Wood’s Review. This gained the attention of the men at Grace to You, hence the e-mail from Nathan to me.

These on line debates and discussions generated a great deal of attention for, and discussion about my book.

I hope you do not mind my mentioning all of this.

Important note for all readers: Both Sharper Iron and Pulpit magazine are administered and moderated by men dedicated to the promotion and/or resurgence of Reformed Theology (Calvinism) and Lordship Salvation. These sites deal with other subject matter, but theologically they are what I describe. You will find other voices their such as mine, but the forums are dominated by men who are Reformed in their theology.

Kind regards,

LM

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Lou -- welcome to BB. :wavey:

Very helpful analysis you gave! Thanks!

skypair

4. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Hello:

LS advocates do not require the actual performance of "good works" (Eph. 2:10) to get saved. This is where LS is unlike Roman Catholicism’s sacramental system (I grew up in the RCC).

The requirement LS calls for is an upfront commitment to do and perform the good works expected of a believer. The problem is that they are asking a lost make commitments to things he can't possibly understand or comprehend while he is yet lost.

LS demands from a lost man full-surrender and commitment of life in "exchange" for salvation. That doctrine adds to the Bible’s definition of saving faith.

Here are a few examples from Dr. MacArthur, LS’s best known, most prolific writer and apologist for the Lordship interpretation of the gospel. Remember, it is the requirements for salvation that is the crux of the debate. Read how LS advocates define the requirements.

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

5. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Thanks

Thanks I appreciate the welcome. More later.

LM

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

This is one area where I don't tow the Reformed line, but I would put myself closer to MacArthur's position than I would Zane Hodges.

There are excesses on both sides. The excesses on the Lordship side are beliefs that the true Christian walk is always a progession and that believers will never fall into sustained sin. The excesses on the non-Lordship side are these cryptic "two churches" and "two Gospels" doctrines, Millennial Exclusion, and the belief that someone does not need faith to be saved. Though I believe a true Christian can fall into sustained sin and even die in that state, I do not believe that a true Christian will ever renounce his faith altogether and become an atheist, for instance. I've read some non-Lordship writings that advocate this very thing.

#26 Andy T., Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While on the surface they seem quite different, they are actually strikingly similar when you delve deeper into LS.

8. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Andy:

Agreed!

Both the Lordship, and what is commonly known as the Free Grace position, can have their extremes.

In my book I mention that there are inherent problems with Hodges' Mental Assent Only theology.

I also detail thoroughly that many Lordship advocates have a real problem with accepting the reality of the "carnal" Christian.

Take care,

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

9. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

To be Accurate

Yes, partially, but in fairness and for accuracy sake I draw the distinction that I have above.

LM

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would it be safe to say the "P" in TULIP is LS? I always assumed this, but was never sure.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Maybe - it depends on how one defines the P. If you define it as an always progressing sanctification, then it would be Lordship. If you define it as someone will always persevere in their faith (i.e., they won't ever totally reject their faith), then it would be something less than Lordship.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you on this aspect for the most part. I would only say that instead of being "closer" to Macarthur's position, I would rather be in the middle. Its equally dangerous to advocate a works type salvation and a "just say a prayer and you are saved" without faith salvation.
    Your position about a true believer dying in sin is not orthodox for your position, but your statment about renouncing ones faith kind of contradicts this, as doing that is sin.
    This is why I can't say I can honestly label my theology, nor would I want to.

#32 webdog, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought "p" states that a true believer WILL persevere to the end, meaning if you die in a state of disobedience, you were never saved to begin with.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I distinguish the two by the fact that we are saved by faith. If you don't have faith, then you can't be saved. If someone outright denies their faith and says they do not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for salvation, then they were never saved to begin with. Their original "faith" was not real. One of the excesses of the non-Lordship side is they never account for a false conversion. I also reject the excess of "mental assent" only salvation. Faith involves more than just mental agreement with certain facts.

15. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Many Reformed folk ascribe to this. But there are other Reformed who reject this notion. I will say this - I don't think true Christians living wretched lives of sin and dying in that state are as common as some non-Lordship advocates think. But I do account for the fact that this can happen in a true believer's life.

16. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Thank you brother. I have a lot to learn. I understand that we can't make Him Lord of our lives..... it was a matter of speech. I think if we ever quit growing in the Lord....... we have died... :)
    I'm not sure how much I agree with LS or disagree...... this is one area I may have to study. As it is....... i'm spending too much time on theology and not enough time in evangelism. There are a lot of lost people out there... and I think I may be spending less time here. God bless you brother.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In my family it is. My sister died a few years ago in this state. If I hadn't seen her life prior to her doing her own thing, and dying in that state, I would not have believed she was saved. The sin nature is a very powerful thing, and the choice given to us either to live by the power of the Spirit or the sin nature is a very real thing.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Sorry to hear that, Webdog.

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Works are works are works, whether you try to say you have to have works to get saved, stay saved, or if you try to backload them onto being saved by saying, "Well, if you're truly saved, you'll do so-and-so", or "a saved person wouldn't do that."

We are commanded to be obedient, we are commanded to be righteous or to be justfified, but if we fail to follow such commands, we don't become unborn. We'll have to answer for it one day, though.

As to making Jesus Lord, you can own a car, or you can make it your idol. Either way you have it, but you, the individual, have made it lord of your life. The same holds true of Jesus: We can make him Lord now, or one day, when he is King of Kings and Lord of Lords, we will stand ashamed.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Actually, we're saved by grace.

If you don't believe, you can't be saved. However, to believe, you do have to have the faith that the one in whom you are believing has the ability to save.

I like to use "faith" as a verb to make the point. If you believe that the easy chair in which you're sitting will continue to hold your weight, you are "faithing" it. However, if you faith it, then sit in it and it crumbles, you are no longer believing that it will hold you, but you did truly believe that it would.

Mind showing this in Scripture? Many people who believe, later deny it, for varying reasons. (In many cases with which I am familiar, the person eventually comes back, because it's simply rebellion, but this is anecdotal and is not based on Scriptures.)

How many children truly believe in Santa Claus, then later deny him? Does this mean they never believed in the first place?

One can only be converted after one is saved. "Converted" means to turn back on the right track. One cannot be on the right track in the first place, unless they are saved.

So, there are many, many false conversions in that sense, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

There are many, many people who sincerely believe in the Lord Jesus, who later rebel. There's nothing false in their original believing. Often, this apostasy, comes about due to hypocricy within the church.

Then you reject Acts 16:30-31: What must I do to be saved? Believe (aorist; punctiliar; mental assent) on the Lord Jesus and you will (no doubt about it!) be saved.

Faith is a noun, and it's a lifestyle.