1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Problem of Regeneration Preceding Faith

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by zrs6v4, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have often told you : Do not make absurdly reckless claims without supporting evidence. Document, document document.

An Anabaptist advocate, Dr. Jack L. Arnold, has said :"Even John Calvin, though he did not persecute them, could see little good in them."

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is none so blind as will not see. I gave you documentation. You refused it.

3. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Firstly you've provided no documented proof. Let's not fool ourselves here.

Concerning the OP you yourself conflate regeneration with salvation, which it is not. You described, albeit in a rudimentary sense a raw understanding of regeneration though it is accidental and perfunctory at best here: https://www.baptistboard.com/thread...nd-commandment-violations.97726/#post-2198572

You stated:

That is a raw understanding of regeneration on your part, showing that the pre-convert must be made willing and that this is not dependent upon some innate faith a person does possess. Assuredly you still hold to that error, but perhaps you are coming closer to truth.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is called documentation:
    J.T. Christian, "A History of the Baptists," pp. 198,99.
    Notice that Christian quotes from Froude's, History of England, and also gives reference to one of Calvin's letter to Protector of England, i.e., Edward VI. But you will deny this anyway so what is the use?
    I never said anything about regeneration, though many people, including Icon, agreed with me. The Holy Spirit is quite able to work in the heart of an unsaved person without regenerating him. His work is defined in John 16:8-11. Perhaps you should read that passage. Why do you assume that I was speaking of regeneration.
    If I was speaking of regeneration, the rest of my post would be entirely redundant and foolish. How could a regenerated person be an atheist. Why would a regenerated person need to be convinced his atheism is wrong. and Christianity is right. Perhaps you better sharpen your comprehension skills and go and read my post again.

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If everyone had/has faith, then everyone is/or will be saved. I keep reading that the unregenerate had not faith, and I agree with that assessment 100%. However, once given the faith necessary to the believing of the saving of the soul, they are no longer unregenerate, but regenerate.

Now, if one has innate faith, yet faith is a fruit of the Spirit, then how are they not saved?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You had said :"Calvin to the Archbishop:'Anabaptists should be put to death.' "

What Archbishop? Give me his name. And please cite any documentation that Calvin said "Anabaptists should be put to death."

As it is you are loading up on lies.

#126 Rippon, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I quoted Christian. Are you calling him a liar? Do you question his sources? You can check them if you wish?

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So let me get this straight. You believe Paul was saved several times?

In your pov, Paul himself was saved, even before his encounter with Jesus Christ on the road to Damascus, even while having a heart filled with hatred for Christians, even while rounding them up to be put to death, and still would have went to heaven?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, he is not a reliable source. I'm calling you a liar because both things you said are false. You very well know it.

Calvin did not write to any archbishop to the effect that anabaptists should be put to death.

Again, please identify by name who the supposed archbishop was that he addressed a letter to, or face-to-face. And document that Calvin ever said to anyone (archbishop or no) --"Anabaptists should be put to death."

#129 Rippon, Jan 17, 2016
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you may need to refine this, brother. Everyone has faith, and faith saves no one. It is the Object of faith that saves. Hence the term "repentance" and not "endowment".

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

James Anthony Froude, (born April 23, 1818, Dartington, Devon, Eng.—diedOct. 20, 1894, Kingsbridge, Devon), English historian and biographer whoseHistory of England from the Fall of Wolsey to the Defeat of the Spanish Armada,12 vol. (1856–70), fundamentally altered the whole direction of Tudor studies. He was immensely prolific, producing also novels and essays.
    http://www.britannica.com/biography/James-Anthony-Froude

It is Froude, in his "History of England" Vol.V, p.99, who, quoting Calvin as saying,
    "Anabaptists and reactionists should be alike put to death."

Accordingly Calvin wrote a letter to Lord Protector Somerset, the translation was probably made by Archbishop Cranmer, to the effect: "These altogether deserve to be well punished by the sword, seeing that they do conspire against God, who had set him his royal seat."
    --You can find this quote written by Calvin as a letter to the Protector, in a MSS. Domestic Edward VI, V. 1548.

In fact Calvin tolerated no doctrine but his own. He would gladly put to death, or have the government in power put to death all those who opposed HIS doctrine, not the doctrine of Christ.
    Don't believe me?
    http://www.reformed.org/ethics/index.html?mainframe=/ethics/calvin_to_somerset.html

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, you have not furnished any documentation that Calvin wrote to any archbishop and told him:"Anabaptists should be put to death." It is simply false.
    What you claim Froude saying that Calvin said has absolutely no verification. When,where and to whom did he ever say such a thing? Don't just give a page number.

#132 Rippon, Jan 17, 2016
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your link does you no favors. It goes against your false claims.

I have cited dozens of actual historians and Calvin scholars over the years which you have brushed aside in favor of your revisionist version of history.

The man of Geneva had no secular power. He dealt in the realm of the ecclesiastical. The most he and the other pastors were able to do was excommunicate some people. In fact he was denied "that power" on various occasions. He did not run Geneva. He was no dictator. You know that, but you insist on your fables about the man.

You contine to promote falsehoods about the man despite all evidence to the contrary.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't want the truth. You won't listen to the truth. You can't handle the truth!

Here Calvin himself recounts all the so-called "heresies" of the Anabaptists, many of them being false accusations, and then gives his conclusion:
    His conclusion is to kill them. They should not escape death.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just like Jack Nicholson's character of Colonel Jessup --you, in fact are lying as he was in the movie. It's strange that people quote that line when the one who utters the line was lying.

I have asked you repeatedly to tell me the name of the archbishop in question who Calvin supposedly communicated the message :"Anabaptists should be put to death." You have not supplied his name despite the fact that I have asked repeatedly.

Where in the link does it say that? He makes no such conclusion. Your link does not say what "your conclusion" asserts.

By the way, the first link refers to a letter Calvin wrote to Protector Lord Somerset written on October 22,1548.

The second link has to do with a number of other different treatises. Don't try to pull a fast one.

#135 Rippon, Jan 17, 2016
  16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six hour warning. Sometime after 1 am PST this thread will be closed.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You missed this terrible form of his persecution of the Anabaptists (said in sarcasm). This is from Treatise Against the Anabaptists (which is one of many works in your link having nothing to do with your original post regarding Calvin's letter to Lord Protector Somerset.)
    "Now to confound them, there is no better way, then to expound and deduce the matters distinctly, and by a certain order to bring forth one matter after another, well weighing and marking the sentences of the scripture, to draw out thereof the true and natural sense, and to use a simplicity and plainness of words, which is not strange from the common speech...If the Anabaptists may not abide thus, I wot not what to say, but that he which doeth evil, hateth the light."

How dastardly, he wants to reason with them from the Scriptures!

You are so dishonest DHK. You very well know that "his conclusion" is from another treatise.

There is nothing there to warrant YOUR CONCLUSION. You wrest his words as you do the Scriptures. You should stop taking your mendacity pills.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. The quote I gave was a "roughly translated quote" as the author said it was.
    2. The links I gave you are straight from the mouth of Calvin himself.
    3. It is evident that Calvin desired and authorized the murder of Anabaptists. You simply don't want to believe it.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just admit it. Calvin did not write any such thing you attributed to him addressed to any archbishop.
    The links were not from the same letter as you falsely wanted folks to believe..
    That is a sinfully stupid lie on your part. Do take the time and re-read my last post that I extracted from his Treatist Against the AnaBaptists and admit you are wrong.
    I don't believe lies --you, on the other hand propagate falsehoods by boadloads.

#139 Rippon, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding that letter that Calvin wrote to Protector Somerset, David Constable translated the critical part as :Both alike deserve to be repressed by the sword which is committed to you, since they only attack the king, but strive with God who has placed him upon a royal throne and has committed to you the protection as well of his person as of his majesty.

Who are the two parties? The Roman Catholics and the Anabaptists. And I think he is referencing the extreme elements of both groups. There is entirely no proof here that Calvin wanted the Anabaptists to die. Since Calvin is speaking of both groups then to be consistent you would have to say that he wanted Roman Catholics killed too. But that is completly false.

What does "repressed by the sword" mean? It's referencing what Romans 13 speaks of --especially in verse 14: "...for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Nowhere in the extract can it possibly mean 'Kill the Anabaptists." That's just your extreme prejudice and tradition coming to the surface.

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.