The purpose of the Ads on this site

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by humblethinker, Aug 26, 2011.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker
    Expand Collapse

Is the purpose of having ads for registered members on this site for money to support the BB?

I have lately been very annoyed by the ads, primarily because some ad servers were very slow in providing the ad. Until all the ads are completely loaded I cannot click on a link. The entire page appears yet I can not click on a thread/link because ther are at least one ad server that is slow providing their ad. This makes navigating the site cumbersom.

I have found a way to disable these ads and now browsing the BB is so much faster! However, I'm concerned that for everyone on BB to know this it would be detrimental to keeping the BB's existence and possibly interfere in maintenance of the BB.

Thank you.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Hello!

I don't see any ads so I'm not sure what you're talking about. However, I do know that disabling them will not hurt the finances. The BB gets nothing from the ads unless they are clicked on, so I wouldn't worry about disabling them. I hope that helps.

God Bless!
    Sue :flower:

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler
    Expand Collapse

Okay humblethinker, let us in on your secret. How did you disable those ads?

I suspect some of them are geared to the IP address. Right now I'm getting bombarded on the BB with political ads from a political group attacking the Republican candidate for Governor in Kentucky.

Other ads have shown up as well. It could be that my surfing habits are being tracked.

Anyway, how'd you do it?

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K)
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Just use Firefox or Chrome for your browser and download a AdBlocker extension

5. humblethinker

humblethinker
    Expand Collapse

Great! I guess that answers my questions then... so, since you shared, I will as well.

I added a list of servers to my hosts file per this website. This allows me to bypass an ad blocker plugin and still use Internet Explorer.

6. humblethinker

humblethinker
    Expand Collapse

The ads themselves are served to us via adservers and are not provided by the BB's server. The BB server allows third party advertisers a way to direct certain fields on the webpage to these third party advertisers' servers which will feed your computer the ads they want you to see. Your browser is directed to these servers by use of a hostname. An example of a host name is google.com, and www.google.com, and advertising.yahoo.com, etc.

Computers ultimately only make sense out of numbers (very deterministic they are ;-) ), so, your computer doesn't know what google.com refers to except that something tells it what the equivalent of google.com is in number format. The first thing that the computer references to make this translation is called a 'hosts' file. It is basically a file that tells the computer what is the number equivalent of a specific hostname. If the equivalent is not defined there then It will move on to other ways to determine this information.

(To access your hosts file you can probably go here C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and open it with Notepad.)

If you, therefore, paste the following into your hosts file

127.0.0.1 google.com

then, when you try to browse to google.com in your web browser then it would fail to get to Google's search engine website. In fact, it would try to browse to your computer since 127.0.0.1 is the number for your computer (this is the case for everyone's computer).

So, by pasting their list into your hosts file, you will make it so that the fields for adverstizing will be routed to your computer, which will 'fail' very quickly and allow your computer to 'move on' to letting you browse in peace.

Here's a good tutorial for editing the hosts file... they show you how 'not' to do it first for those of us who are using Windows 7.

7. humblethinker

humblethinker
    Expand Collapse