1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Real Issue

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, the scripture is sufficient to enable any man to believe, nothing more is required.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Tim 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The scriptures themselves say of the word of God that it is quick, powerful, piercing, discerning, and ABLE to make a man wise unto salvation.

The word of God provides man with everything he needs to believe and be saved, nothing more is needed.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Right, because if more was needed then everyone who doesn't accept scripture would have a perfect excuse for their rebellion against the scripture.

They could rightly say to God, "I didn't accept and follow your truth because you withheld all that was needed for me to do so."

3. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Never once expounds........??

"And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul."

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them."

And have we mentioned the necessity of the new birth.......whereby the Elect are 'zapped' by the Holy Spirit to become a new creation?

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You need to read this verse with the following verse 13 and you will see He is not speaking of merely the written word of God but the incarnate LIVING word of God:

13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Anyone with two grains of common sense can clearly see the immediate context is talking about the Person of Jesus Christ as the LIVING word of God. No one is saved by merely the Word apart from the POWER of the Spirit of Christ.

Sure the scriptures make us "wise unto salvation" but the scriptures do not save anyone as that is the covenant work of the Spirit of God. Verses 16-17 tells you what the Scriptures are designed for and salvation is not stated. Verses 12-14 show the human instrumentality the Holy Spirit worked through to save Timothy.

However, the Written word of God in and of itself has no power to save anyone and was never designed to save anyone as the Written word is not the Savior. Only when the written Word is infused with the power of the Spirit does it become LIVING.

5. Skandelon

Are you sure you want to use that as a proof text for your doctrine of "Total Inability" and "Irresistible Grace" given that in the previous passage it tells us that Lydia was a one who worshipped God prior to this encounter? How is it that someone born total depraved, a complete enemy of God, repulsed by God, never seeking or even able to respond to Him, is described by the inspired author of this text as being a "worshipper of God?"

We all affirm the work of regeneration, by which we will receive a new heart. We disagree as to the order of things. Calvinists teach that men are given life in order to believe and John teaches the opposite: "...these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (Jn 20:31)

I agree with John.

Again, there is no clear exposition of the concept called 'irresistible grace' or 'effectual calling.' There is only the Gospel call by which all are offered or appealed to "be reconciled to God." There is no reason to suggest or teach that this call is insufficient to enable a response.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the REAL REAL ISSUE of which I will be bold to speak! You can all argue Soterology & Eschatology till your are all blue in the face. What are the basic building blocks of Christianity? In short the answer is "Belief" in other words, you have got to believe in Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior (that comes 1st) for without that there is no Christianity.

Then I know that anyone who is in belief (with the HS) is Born Again. They are a "NEW CREATION" so your sins need to be a part of that past life & you are to strive (NO REALLY STRIVE) to be Christlike. None of us Baptist argue these points of Faith & Practice. So your issues of soteriology & eschatology should take a back seat to being a Born Again & Saved Christian. And we need to all look for HIS Presence in our actions in prayer, in a life changed (for the better) & in loving your brethren (ML-J Joy Unspeakable- Pg101)"We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. When you can honestly say that you would sooner be with the brethren than with anybody else, that you have found that people whom you do NOT like by nature you can love as Christians because they are, with you, children of God." SO, my question to you is, 'are we projecting ourselves forward in our daily walks by LOVING....... our neighbors as ourselves, our brethren...... and the totally toughest one of all.......our enemies"?!?

7. Skandelon

I guess the commentators of the Geneva Study Bible, a Calvinistic commentary, don't have "two grains of common sense," because they too apply this verse to the written/spoken words of God, not only the Person of Christ.

Now, just to be clear, I don't believe this to mean to exclude Christ, the Word, but just to say that this passage is not exclusive of the person, but also includes HIS WORK and HIS WORDS. Even Jesus said, "The very words I speak to you are spirit and life," so I don't believe you can divide the person from his words...especially in this context.

I don't believe we said that the scriptures save anyone. Only God can save. We are talking about the means of faith through which God chooses to save. Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Neither did I exclude either but demanded it included both. I only excluded that it refers ONLY to the written word of God.

Wrong! It is has been your clearly stated position and necessary inference that the "power" of salvation is found in the written word when you know that is not true but the "power" is found in the Person and work of the Holy Spirit used in conjunction with the word of God - thus making it LIVING and powerful.

You keep on erroneously quoting Romans 10;17 as though it supports your position when it clearly does not. You keep on ignoring that the Greek term used there is "rhema" and not 'logos." You keep on ignoring that the same writer of Romans 10:17 is the same writer of 2 Cor. 4:6 where the substance of faith is divinely communicated by creative power as a "command" as "rhema" suggests in Romans 10:17.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Biblicist

Yes he does.....Winman does not let truth get in the way of his novelties:wavey:.....no..never:thumbsup:

10. Skandelon

Then why are you attempting to separate the person from the Word by suggesting that one could come without the other?

I could NOT AGREE MORE with this statement!!! But keep in mind I'm not the one attempting to separate the Person from His Work...you are. I'm the one arguing that EVERYTIME God's word is proclaimed, read, or heard that Jesus, the person, should get all the credit for bringing it because it is HIS WORD...and because of that it comes in power and its living. You are the one attempting to argue that the Word can come apart from the person and not have power some of the time. You need to apply your own belief and live by the statement you wrote above. I couldn't have said it better myself.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Bible by itself saved NO sinner, its when the HOLY SPIRIT enables a sinner to hear and receive the good news that it accomplishes its work among those given it unto salvation!

the message is true, but sinners in and by themselves remaind deaf and blind to Him...

12. Skandelon

When is the Bible ever 'by itself?' It is produced, preserved, and carried by the Holy Spirit of God. Why would you attempt to separate the person from his work?

We don't do that with human authors, why on earth would you do that with a divine author? Imagine someone reading Piper's book "Desiring God" and becoming a Calvinist and then suggesting that Piper's work in explaining these doctrines weren't at least in part responsible for that person's conversion to Calvinism. And suppose another believer read Piper's book who rejects Calvinism. Would you suggest because Piper didn't write that work? Or that he didn't write it clear enough for them to understand those doctrines? OR would you just say that guy is stubborn and rejected the 'truth' of what Piper clearly taught?

The point is that its the reader's responsibility as to what they do with the author's work. You don't separate the author from his work. He gets credit for his teaching regardless of if any particular reader accepts or rejects that teaching.

#72 Skandelon, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the point is that there is no power in the pages of a Bible, the power is the One whom the book describes, Jesus death upon the Cross for sinners, and ONLY the Spirit has the opower to make that real and true to any sinner!

the bible has no magic in it, but itdescribes the event and the Person to whom has the power to save sinners thru it!

14. Skandelon

Of course He is the powerful one, but so is his truth. His words are powerful and they don't return void but accomplish the purpose for which they are sent. And he sends those words through messengers. Mankind is judged by the very words that he spoke (Jn 12) so I wouldn't discount the power of 'the very words he spoke.' After all, he calls them 'spirit and life.' (Jn 6)

I'm not sure why this has to be an either/or situation? Why not both/and? BOTH Jesus AND his words are are living and active...they are profitable...powerful and effective!

15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Fundemental abc's of theology demand they are not one and the same. Because the written word distinguishes between them. Because only when the word of God is empowered by the living Word is there a creative act occurring. Because only in the action of real salvation are they united and inseparable in obtaing that action - 1 Thes. 1:4-5; 2 Cor. 4:6; Gen. 1:3 - and because in that action THERE ARE NO INSTRUMENTAL MEANS being used and that is obvious in Genesis 1:3 where the word and God are inseparable in the action of creating light and thus in the action where the substance of faith is being created by divine fiat within the darkened heart there is no instrumental means being employed but only God speaking the word of the gospel creating the light of knowlege as in Mathew 16:17 and in 2 Cor. 4:6.

Because you cannot distinguish between things that differ and the scriptuers themselves distinguish when the Word comes in power and when it does not.

You will attempt to deny what I have said but the crucial point that undergirds the truth of what I have said is IMPOSSILBE for you to HONESTLY deny and that is there was NO INSTRUMENTAL MEANS USED in Genesis 1:3 and that is the chosen analogy used by Paul to explain how the "substance" (Heb. 11:1) of faith is imparted in the heart of the elect (2 Cor. 4:6) as the light that removes the darkness and ignorance that Paul defines as alienation from eternal life - Eph. 4:18 and thus produces eternal life by divine fiat or being "CREATED in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:10). It is utterly impossible for you to deny that Genesis 1:3 occurred without instrumental means.

Whether you agree or disagree, whether you manipulate or ignore, the readers know the intentional use of Genesis 1:3 in 2 Cor. 4:6 places the final stake in the heart of your arminianism, it drives the final nail in the coffin of your improper interpretation and shovels the final scoop of dirt that buries your position once and for all. The Gospel can come in "word only" but never comes in "word only" when the elect (1 Thes. 1:4) are saved (1 Thes. 1:5) but in POWER and in the Holy Spirit and IN ASSURANCE! Assurance NEVER comes to the lost when the gospel is preached and so this can occur ONLY in salvation when the gospel DOES NOT COME in "word only."

Do you know the difference between the "Person" of God and His "word" versus His "work"? Apparently not as you use "word" and "work" interchangably here. Nice attempt to confuse the issues but they are not one and the same. His "word" is sometimes disobeyed by men but his "work" is never the act of men and so can never be thwarted by men. His "word" when spoken as a CREATIVE COMMAND is never thwarted by men.

No one denies this!

However, this statement is pure imagination. This position is simply a lie, a falsehood, a misrepresentation of the facts of scripture. This position fails to discern and distinguish between when God Himself empowers His Word as a COMMAND, which is always effectual versus merely expressed by men as His revealed will, which is always non-effectual and violated by men every day of the week.

His written word is disobeyed by sinners all the time, every minute, every hour, every day in every week of every year. However, His CREATIVE WORD of command as in Genesis 1:3 is ALWAYS EFFECTUAL and can never be hindered or overthrown by the will or actions of men and it is the Word as described in Genesis 1:3 that is applied to the INTERNAL work of the Holy Spirit in CREATING a person in Christ Jesus by speaking into existence the "substance" of faith or the LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE that removes eternal death "alienated from eternal life through ignorance that is IN THEM" that removes "the blindness of their heart" - Eph. 4:18.

You don't understand what I said becuase if you did you would not make this rediculous remark. Try to understand the difference between the CREATIVE WORD of God versus the REVEALED Word of God. The revealed word of God does not come in power and in demonstration of the Spirit nor in assurance WITHIN all men but is repudiated, violated, trampled upon, rejected, resisted, and overruled. However, when God empowers HIs word and it becomes HIS CREATIVE WORD OF COMMAND nothing can resist, overturn, prevent or overrule but what He speaks into existence becomes reality and that is precisely what Paul claims when the gospel comes as the CREATIVE WORD OF COMMAND (Rom. 10:17 "rhema"; 2 Cor. 4:6; Eph. 2:10a; James 1:18; etc.). Go learn the difference and then come back and talk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.