1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The REAL purpose of the "Law".

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Maybe there is a thread concerning this, but I didn't see one.

I would like to throw out the question of the reason the Children of Israel were given the "law". Was it simply to show what was right and wrong, or was there more to it?

It is my opinion God gave the law to man not only for that reason, but to show him that it is impossible for man to keep the law by himself, without grace.

Right, wrong, indifferent?

2. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I think the Law shows many things.

1. God's attitude toward sin

2. Man's inability to live a holy life.

3. The need for a Savior.

The Law can not save, only point the way to a Savior.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

No, not just to show right from wrong. Man already knew that from Adam's time.

The law was given for several reasons:

1. To separate the Jews unto himself, he gave them a unique set of rule.

2. To point the way for the Saviour.

3. Isreal was getting so big it was time for some organization.

I'm sure there are more.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, are we talking about:
    Moral Law?
    National Law?
    Ceremonial Law?
    Physical Law?

This would help me focus any thoughts on "purpose" since today I break more "laws" every day than I keep.

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The law was given as the binding constitution upon the Jews and to increase sin.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better include something about the ability to have a reationship with God through the sacrificial system I'd think.

Don't think all the blood shed was fer nuttin.

7. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

The "Law" is the most annoying thing in the Pentateuch! The narrative reads great and smoothly till this Law is dropped on our laps and messes everything up. I think this was an intentional move by the Composer, BTW. Everything else said about the purpose of the Law in this thread is accurate, in my opinion, too.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one has cited Scripture yet and here a a few things concerning the Law and its purpose...

NKJV Romans 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
    20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

NKJV Romans 4:15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression.

NKJV Romans 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet."

NKJV Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

NKJV Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

NKJV Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.

NKJV Romans 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

HankD

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks HankD, surely what the word of God has to say about a subject is more important than our opinions.

I would add Galatians 3:23-25 (kjv)
    My opinion is that this was and is still the primary purpose of the law, to bring us to Christ. The law showed Israel, and shows us today that we can not live holy and earn our salvation. We have the ten commandments posted all around us today, and yet modern mankind still can not keep them.

Exscentric added some comments about the sacrificial system.

I think it is very important that God gave the sacrificial system at the same time he gave the law. He gave Israel a simple set of commandments that were impossible to keep, but he also gave them a sacrificial system that allowed another creature to suffer and die for Israel's sin debt. A system that allowed them to achieve holiness in God's eyes. The entire concept of vicarious atonement through the blood of Christ is pictured to perfection in the sacrificial rites of Old Testament Judaism. It all shares that one purpose, to bring us to Christ, to show us our need and our salvation.

10. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Relationship with God did not come through the Law. It was always of faith. The law governed how they were to act.

HankD, did I not say that it was given to increase sin?

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you did DD.

HankD

12. wopik

wopik New Member

"....for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Romans 3:20).

"I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, 'Thou shalt not covet' " --- Romans 7:7

13. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

BlueFalcon,
    Are you being straight or do I detect a sense of humor here?Or is it both?

14. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

The Mosaic Law, as a conditional covenant, contained moral, civil, and ceremonial elements, but it was still ONE UNIT. It was all done away at the Cross. The fact that it was and is still wrong to do murder in no way makes the 10 commandments binding for believers! Anyone here "Seventh Day Baptist"? The Mosaic Law, ALL OF IT, was for the nation that God delivered from Egypt. It was never for Gentiles and it was never for the Church. The fact that nine of the ten are repeated "post-Cross" does not indicate that the Ten Commandments are for the church. The similarities and parallels indicate that the 10 contain elements that reflect the eternal righteousness of God and His moral law for His creation. All Gentiles, pre and post Sinai, have the Moral Law of God (not the 10) written on their hearts (Rom 2:15). There is no heathen consciousness of the Sabbath Day. 2Cor 3 specifically says that the "ministration of death, written and engraven in stones" was "done away" (vss. 6-11).

I wonder if I detect a suggestion that the 10 C's are a part of our "sanctification" in the wording of the initial question -- "to show him that it is impossible for man to keep the law by himself, without grace." This is a common idea. It is wrong. The law cannot bring justification, it cannot bring sanctification (Gal 3:3). The Law is not a standard for NT believers.