1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Religion of Evolution

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by Helen, Mar 25, 2003.

1. RichardC

RichardC New Member

Helen, you are apparently asserting that God intends for us to understand Genesis 1-3 as a literal account of historical events. I take it that this is what you mean by "accept[ing] what God caused to be written in a straightforward manner." Why should Galatian or I or other theistic evolutionists agree with your claim? So far as I can see, your argument thus far boils down to Proof by Emphatic Assertion.

The Bible was written down and transmitted by fallible human beings. Thus errors of fact in the Bible would not necessarily contradict its Divine origin. Humans the world over have also commonly used myth to communicate profound spiritual insights, so there would be no surprise in finding myth in the Bible.

You could advance the discussion a great deal, Helen, by presenting your reasoned arguments that it is "extremely clear" that the Genesis account is intended by God to be understood as an account of historical events.

I don't doubt that God knows how to communicate with us in a manner appropriate to his purposes. But here we have a communication, Genesis, concerning which there has been considerable disagreement among Christians, going back to antiquity, as to the intended meaning. You can't just declare your preferred meaning to be the correct one and declare a pox on the others; you need to argue for your understanding of it if you want to change anyone's mind.

Richard

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well said Paul.

I like the moments when our evolutionist friends show real objectivity. Is there some way we can move the discussion forward using the same model?

Bob

3. Peter101

Peter101 New Member

Helen,

I think you will agree that whatever position is argued, that the discussion will be advanced by truth in advertising, i.e. all the various arguments, including yours, that are posted on the Internet should be factually accurate. Don't you agree? I am sure you do. If you accept that, then how about correcting various mistakes that appear on the Setterfield web site, specifically about the assumptions on C-14 dating. Also, tonight I have pointed out several other errors on your web site by one James P. Dawson. Since that material is his, I invite you to contact him and pass on my critique of his writing, so that he may make corrections. You will find this critique as one of the most recent posts on the thread titled "Setterfield theory revisited and refocused". That may not be the exact title of the thread but it is close. Dawson's comments on radiometric dating and radioactive decay are especially poor and inaccurate.

4. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Well said Paul.

I like the moments when our evolutionist friends show real objectivity. Is there some way we can move the discussion forward using the same model?

Bob
    </font>[/QUOTE]Well, lets start with the idea of evidence in favor of evolution. Without at the moment saying how much there is or is not, in theory, is it possible to say that if evidence made evolution to appear probably true to somewhere like 95 to 99 percent probability - it would be reasonable to adopt the idea that evolution is true for normal purposes? Is there any level of evidence (speaking theoretically now, regardeless of whether or not that level has actually been achieved) that would make it reasonable to do that?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The "starting point" on a thread titled "The religion of evolution" posted on a Christian message board - where the context is supposed to be "Christian Evolutionists" vs the "Christians that accept Creationism" - should be IS there a direct contradiction IF we simply choose to believe the text of scripture from PURE Exegesis.

In other words - step ONE - is to discover "Meaning" as defined by the objective methods of exegesis ALONE.

Step two is then to observe "IS there a contradiction" between what exegesis dictates and what evolutionism dictates?

You are proposing a further step - but we really need "answers" to steps 1 and 2.

In your further step you seem to say
    "Given that evolutionISM can NOT be reconciled with the Exegetically clean interpretation of the text - IS there enough outside support for evolutionism to argue that we toss exegesis in this case".

And I agree that in that model we would "need" to discover how much REAL evidence is in from HARD science (not pure speculation) where results are "verifiable" rather than "extrapolated" and then untestable.

However - since we seem to have "made a start" on steps one and two.

Can we at least clarify those first two - so we have a basis for how we can begin the subsequent objective analysis?

Bob

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Whenever the Bible and reality seem to clash, it is because we have misunderstood one or both of them.

It's equally likely for either source. So no, there can be no conflict between the two.

There are folks like Kurt Wise, and Harold Coffin, who freely and honestly admit that they would stand by their interpretation of Scripture regardless of the evidence.

But that's not a very logical stand. It is essentially claiming infallibility for one's self.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed, when the Bible and science clash - one of them is being misunderstood or even abused.

However "science" is not a "form of exegesis". So we have the "advantage" of interpreting the text WITHOUT having to "go to the lab".

Our understanding of nature - and our maturity in science - is also a "moving target" so EVEN if we DID hobble our understanding of scripture to our "current views of spontaneous generation" (so to speak) we would simply have to "change religions" as soon as we "discover" that spontaneous generation is not quite as possible as we possibly speculated.

So - all the more reason to be honest and up front with our Exegesis.

Steps one and two NEED to be discussed with integrity.

And on THIS board - all the evolutionist supposedly LOVE to talk about those steps because they are all bible believing Christians.

Lets begin.

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Evolutionism has to claim so pretty radical things to defend itself -

Thanks to Galation for the great quotes.

Bob

[ July 12, 2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: BobRyan ]

9. Edgeo

Edgeo New Member

10. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Bob

I really find nothing wrong with the quotes you presented.

There really does need to be a coherent theory of creationism that can do a better job of explaining the evidence than the mainstream sciences do. Until you have something that can explain what we see around ourselves better than what we already have, looking for any weakness, quote mining and distorting does nothing to move your ideas ahead of science.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with this demand is that those who establish the rules will object at any point where a Creator is submitted as a cause or when limitations for interpretting evidence are based on an intelligent planner/designer rather than the forces of chance.

The only strength if you want to call it a strength of evolution is that dogmatically avoids any appeal to supernatural influence. In this way, evolutionists can claim to be the most reasonable folks around since they only submit as "truth" those things which can be "measured" (although this really isn't true either). All the while, they deny the greatest truth of all, the supernatural does exist and it does imact/influence the natural world. Remarkably, it is considered more reasonable in secular science to say that we simply don't know what started it all but that we are sure that it is purely naturalistic than to say "In the beginning, God created..."

The thing confusing to me about including Creation concepts in public education is that if evolution is so soundly scientific and creation is so hobbled by its religious character, why would anyone believing evolution not want the two to be compared in an academic setting?

12. Meatros

Meatros New Member

I'm a theist based on faith and personal experience, but I find this hard to believe: What evidence is their of the supernatural?

There are a few things to consider when introducing theological theories into a scientific class room. First and foremost is that it wastes valuable class time to teach things have no scientific value in a science class. Second, if you include one religion's creation, don't you have to include them all (or at least the majority)? Third, to include creationism (which isn't scientific), the students would become confused. Fourth, why not teach it in the theology/philosophy classes, where it is better suited?

13. A_Christian

A_Christian New Member

If one is going to teach
    science based on Scientific interpretations
    of accumulated data, then CREATIONISM fits the bill. If you are going to base science on only what can be observed then EVOLUTIONISM must be
    eliminated from the public school.

Not all "religions" have data to either back
    their claims nor the logic to establish reasearch.

14. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Nice to say, now prove it. What predictions does it make? What evidence supports it? Is it falsifiable?

Actually "evolutionism" isn't taught in schools, the theory of evolution is.

Oh please! I still can't believe that some people on this board so ignorantly water down the word religion that practically *EVERYTHING* could be considered a religion.

What is the "God" of evolution? What are the system of morals?

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If you've been reading the posts on this board, you've seen a great deal of evidence for evolution. That's why you see the vast majority of scientists of all faiths who accept it.

If it was a religion, you wouldn't see Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc. who accept it.

This seems so obvious that it always puzzles me why some people can't understand it.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please describe how evolution is falsifiable. BTW, I am not talking about picking and choosing parts favorable to evolutions interpretations of data. The whole thing... by what means would you falsify something that was not observed and cannot be recreated on scale with respect to time and environment.

To a very slight extent you are correct. The ideals of modernism/humanism have prevailed for a good portion of the last century. Exclusively teaching evolution as the scientific explaination of origins is simply a necessary component of reinforcing the notion that man can answer his own questions and solve his own problems without God.

Post-modernism will soon replace modernism but I doubt the confusion of "no truth" will be much more hospitable to the Truth than restricting truth to the mind of man.

Atheism, agnosticism, and humanism are religious viewpoints. Evolution is the strictly acceptable view of origins for these perspectives.

By extension from "humanism", Man is evolution's god. In particular, the mind and reason of man.

You even see it here. The ability of scientists/men to reason and interpret establish the boundaries of what can be considered scientific "truth".
    Usually but not always pragmatism. Some have rejected morality altogether. Many possess faith in the idea of "good government" which relies on the power of man's wisdom to govern himself.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answered specific prayers for people to whom I had not revealed my concerns.
    I would agree with each of these points... regarding the teaching of evolution. 1) Evolution has no value in applied science therefore it wastes valuable class time. 2) Evolution is the creation account of the modern philosophical viewpoint, humanism, and atheism. If you are going to teach one philosophy's account, shouldn't you teach them all? 3)Evolution is taught as a theory that excludes all other scientific theories... de facto- "fact". It is not "fact" and many students especially in lower grades are confused into thinking it is. 4) Why not teach evolution separate from hard science so that the two won't be confused with each other? The only "benefit" of a student knowing evolution is so that they know it. It is not useful in any applied science from Super Glue to Space Shuttles. The detriment is that it may not be true and cause them to doubt something that is true.

18. Meatros

Meatros New Member

Playing ping-pong? Not observed? You can observe evolution, go get an immunity shot. The predictions evolution makes are subject to tests. How is it *not* falsifiable?

In science class shouldn't you only teach things that are 'scientific'? Where does evolution mention philosophy? Where does it mention origins? Are you referring to abiogenesis?

Evolution is also an acceptable viewpoint of theists-your point means nothing. Is gravity a religion? Even if I were to assume that Atheists, agnostics, and humanists all accepted evolution, that doesn't mean that evolution is miraculously a religion!

You are confusing evolution with 'humanism'. Is gravity similarly responsible for this train of thought? You are committing a nonsequetor (sp?).

Again, you are adding to the theory of evolution in order to justify the claim that it's religious!

In otherwords, anecdotal-hardly conclusive for the public masses.

You can thank your immunties for it.

Evolution is *not* a creation account, you mistake it for either abiogenesis or the big bang, and you stretch the vernacular of 'creation account'.

Lamarkism doesn't have the evidence that evolution does, other then that, what other scientific theories are there?

Your strawman characterization of evolution isn't what the actual theory is. You should learn it before you attempt to call it anything other then a hard science. You attempts to obfuscate evolution into a philosophy or a creation story are not remotely accurate.

Again, this is either a lie or ignorance. Evolution is directly responsible for a host of things that you would deny; including but not limited to, immunizations.

19. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an apparent attempt to confuse microevolution with macroevolution. Immunizations have everything to do with how organisms adapt and/or possess self-defense mechanisms. It is not in the least dependent on the notion that all life forms evolved from a simpler lifeform.

... and you would accuse me of lying or ignorance?

20. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In otherwords, anecdotal-hardly conclusive for the public masses.

</font>[/QUOTE]... and therefore at least this much ahead of the "proof" for evolution. I have observed these things and these things are observable. Evolution was not observed and cannot be observed.