1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Republican Liberty Caucus

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by church mouse guy, Mar 5, 2007.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul said this about same-sex marriage, which shows that he would allow a state to adopt same-sex marriage:

"...Because of the dangers to liberty and traditional values posed by the unexpected consequences of amending the Constitution to strip power from the states and the people and further empower Washington, I cannot in good conscience support the marriage amendment to the United States Constitution. Instead, I plan to continue working to enact the Marriage Protection Act and protect each state’s right not to be forced to recognize a same sex marriage...."

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2004/cr093004.htm

Ron Paul obviously ignores the case of the Mormon Church, which was pressured by the federal government to observe marriage as one man and one woman. One would have to assume that Ron Paul would allow Mormons in Utah to resume marriages as one man and two or more women and that Ron Paul would not use federal power against Mormon resumption of polygamy. On this issue, I think Ron Paul is even outside of the American mainstream.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that Ron Paul's theological beliefs are different than Guiliani's. Ron Paul has had only one wife, not three.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the record, cmg, can you provide a link where Ron Paul states that he is opposed to capital punishment?

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I linked one statement above.

I linked one statement above. For the record, here is what I posted earlier:

One of the founders of the Republican Liberty Caucus is against the death penalty. That allies him with the Christan left.

Here is one of his statements:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The Pope’s commitment to human dignity, grounded in the teachings of Christ, led him to become an eloquent and consistent advocate for an ethic of life, exemplified by his struggles against abortion, war, euthanasia, and the death penalty. Yet what institutions around the world sanction abortion, war, euthanasia, and the death penalty? Governments. [/FONT]

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul244.html

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree with Ron Paul on this issue. If we federalize marriage, maybe today the federal government will agree with the conservative evangelical position and force all of the states to adopt such a federal position. But consider what would happen if the consensus in the Congress changed and the federal government required the states to recognize homosexual "marriages". And because we shortsightedly federalized marriage instead of at least leaving it as a state issue as it has been through the history of these United States, we conservative evangelicals will be left without the power to shield our individual states from adopting the federalized definition of marriage.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

That is a statement describing the Pope's position on capital punishment. Do you have a link where Ron Paul has described his own position as being against capital punishment. I have read lots of stuff written by Ron Paul but I don't recall him making such a statement(and it doesn't affect my support for him if he did as I don't agree with anyone 100% of the time). I am not saying you are wrong but I would like for you to nail this accusation of yours down.

I guess you've given up trying to defend pro-abortion, pro-homosexual "marriage", pro-gun control, three wives Guiliani, eh?

#26 KenH, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, Ken, you fail to discuss the case of Utah on marriage as one man and one woman and how the federal government acted there--just as Ron Paul fails to deal with that subject. So that makes him a minor figure.

Clearly, he went out of his way to praise the pope for being against the death penalty, as the Catholic Church is to the best of my knowledge. Ron Paul says that governments sanction the death penalty but Christian teaching--as Pastor Larry recently showed again--is the real source of the death penalty for murder. God (not government as Ron Paul says in his remarks about the pope) is the One calling for the death penalty for murderers.

Here is another source saying that Ron Paul is anti-death penalty and that postion is widely attributed to him so I think that we can conclude that it is true from his incorrect remarks about the pope and his general reputation among his supporters, some of whom are too obscene to link here. Also, as a minor figure, Ron Paul does not have much about him on the internet. However, I have shown that he clearly departs from Reaganism on the major legacy of Reagan, or the pro-life plank of the GOP platform. Here is one source that says Ron Paul is anti-death penalty:

http://en.allexperts.com/e/r/ro/ron_paul.htm?zIr=5

#27 church mouse guy, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the link, cmg. I found this information there:

Paul is strongly pro-life. He therefore opposes all methods of abortion. In 2006 he introduced H.R. 776 to have Congress declare that life exists at conception and to prevent federal courts from claiming jurisdiction over cases involving abortion.

It's too bad that the same can't be said about your candidate, 3 wives Rudy Guiliani, who is on the same page with Hillary Clinton as being pro-abortion.

Guiliani would really be better off running as a Democrat or as an independent. His views on social issues are pretty much Democrat down the line.

#28 KenH, Mar 7, 2007
  9. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul is against Reagan on abortion.

Yes, but as I have shown since the first post, Ron Paul does not support the Reagan platform on abortion. He would destroy the work of Reagan to end abortion and alter the historic GOP position since 1976.

I think that Rudy's divorces are legal. Here again Ron Paul is trying to destory Reagan because Reagan was also divorced.

What I am saying is that Ron Paul is not a Reagan Republican and has no intention of becoming one. What I am saying is that Reagan favored the death penalty, would not have allowed Utah to have marriage as something other than one man and one woman by use of federal force, and would have amended the constitution to end abortion. What I am saying is that Rudy is more likely to support Reagan on those issue than any other candidate because Reagan is Rudy's hero and Rudy is a team player who will represent the majority of Republicans not just the Republican Liberty Caucus. If Rudy does not agree to compromise his views, then he would have to try to win without the Christian right, which would mean attracting some Democrats.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where has Ron Paul said anything about Guiliani having three wives? Please provide a link.

Ron Paul is a whole lot closer than 3 wives Guiliani is. Guiliani is pro-abortion, pro-homosexual "marriage", and pro-gun control. Ronald Reagan always held the opposite position on those issues from 3 wives Guiliani, just like Ron Paul does.

#30 KenH, Mar 7, 2007
  11. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am assuming that you speak for Ron Paul in condemning Reagan as divorced and Rudy as divorced.

Ron Paul is never going to accept Reagan's leadership on the death penalty, abortion, and marriage and divorce.

Rudy might compromise and abandon his positions for the betterment of himself and for the betterment of the nation. Rudy therefore would accept the classic Reagan platform of 1980 which Ron Paul wants to blow up.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're smarter than to assume such a thing, cmg. I guess it shows how desperate you are to defend the indefensible by supporting Guiliani. And I have not said one word about Reagan's divorce and you know it.

Guiliani is pro-abortion, pro-homosexual "marriage", and pro-gun control.

Ron Paul is anti-abortion, anti-homosexual "marriage", and anti-gun control.

The contrast cannot be any greater between these two candidates.

I really don't understand why any Republican would even think about supporting Guiliani. He is a Democrat in Republican clothing. And if he was elected president the first thing to go would be the Republican clothing.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Republicans are leaning towards Rudy because he is the only one who might support the work of Reagan since Ron Paul has made it clear that he does not support the foundation of the Reagan leagacy, which is the pro-life plank of the GOP since 1976 which Reagan amended in 1980 to call for a constitution amendment for human life.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one with a lick of sense believes that Guiliani with his pro-abortion, pro-homosexual "marriage",
    pro-gun control positions supports Ronald Reagan's work.

15. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no one with a lick of sense believes that Ron Paul would ever in this world support Ronald Reagan's work on pro-life, the main achievement of the Reagan legacy. Folks, let's nominate someone who supports the Reagan platform calling for a human life amendment to the US constitution.

The Republican Liberty Caucus is made up of Libertarians who left the Libertarian Party and operate in the cultural diversity of the GOP but who do not embrace the Republican Party platform and the Ronald Reagan pro-life stance in every platform since 1980. They are not reliable Republicans and cannot be counted on because everything is on their terms only.

16. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't understand what it is you think Reagan's 'abortion plank' has done for unborn children in this country.

http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

Reagan's work on pro-life doesn't stop 1.37 million abortions a year. If individual states had a choice, voters voices might be able to make a difference. As it stands, the only way you or I can make a difference is to go stand in front of an abortion clinic with a sign.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Excellent point James. We should remember too that it was a Reagan appointed justice in Sandra Day O'Connor that wrote the court opinion reaffirming Roe v Wade in 1992. It would've been nice if he had nominated a conservative rather than worrying about what gender the nominee was. Reagan talked a good game regarding abortion...

...but in the end I don't see much evidence to support the claim that he did much to stop it.

18. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I guess that means we can't nominate the pro-abortion liberal Rudy Giuliani then!

What do you think about H.R. 776 that recognizes the personhood of all unborn babies by declaring, "human life shall be deemed to exist from conception." The bill also would have removed abortion from the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, thereby nullifying the Roe v Wade decision, and would have denied funding for abortion providers. In plain language, H.R. 776 would have ended abortion on demand.

Do you think H.R. 776 is a good pro-life bill?

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grubbs, why don't you admit that Ron Paul said just what I said about him--that he thinks that the abortion issue is states rights?

Here is what he said and yet you falsely accuse me of attacking falsely a Christian brother.

Ron Paul:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]"...Under the 9th and 10th amendments, all authority over matters not specifically addressed in the Constitution remains with state legislatures. Therefore the federal government has no authority whatsoever to involve itself in the abortion issue. So while Roe v. Wade is invalid, a federal law banning abortion across all 50 states would be equally invalid...."[/FONT]

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul301.html

My prayer to Jesus, the Bread of Life, Grubbs, is that you would be kind enough to put me on your ignore list since you seemingly will never apologize for your false accusations against me. Afterall, that is the second time that I have posted your Dr.'s own words.

It is clear that Libertarians and members of the Republican Liberty Caucus such as Ron Paul would abandon the Reagan plank from 1980, the foundation of Reagan's work. Reagan was pro-life when no one else in the country was, and it is interesting to see the younger generation destroy his foundation and yet ask for a vote for their work.

Ron Paul is a non-starter in the GOP because of his association with the Republican Liberty Caucus.

20. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Yet he introduced the federal bill that would have ended abortion on demand had it passed. Don't worry I will never add you to my ignore list, I am looking forward to reading all of your post in support of the pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, anti-Constitution, Rudy as we move towards 2008!