1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Rich, Young Ruler.....Hmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scarlett O., Nov 12, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was reading through Matthew 19 last Saturday and re-read the story of the rich, young ruler for the umpteenth time.

But this time.....God decided to show me something that I hadn't noticed before.

He asks Jesus what "good" things he can do to have eternal life. Jesus tells that there is none good, but one and that is God. But if he wants eternal life, then he should keep the commandments.

Then the young guy very foolishly asks, "Which ones?" - as if obeying God was some sort of cafeteria plan.

Then Jesus does something unusual....He gives the man what he wants - a list. I have always wondered why Jesus only listed a few of the 10 commands and not all of them. It's actually bugged me on a couple of occasions.

But on Saturday, God impressed upon me a silly little song that I use in children's choir to teach the 10 commandments, so I started singing it while reading Jesus' words and noticed that he left off commandments 1-4 and listed commandments 5-9 and includes one extra one..

He told the guy, "Don't murder (6), don't commit adultery (7), don't steal (8), don't bear false witness (9), honor thy father and mother (5), and love thy neighbor as thy self (extra).

The rich young ruler claimed that he has no problem with any of these commands.

I got to thinking.......a person could keep commandments 5-10 and even love thy neighbor as thyself - and NOT be saved. Commandments 5-10 and this extra one are all about our relationships with other people - or our good behavior in human relationships. This young man was convinced that he was "good" enough and wanted to be "better".

There are plenty of lost people out there who believe in marital fidelity, the sanctity of human life, telling the truth, showing respect to parents, and showing respect towards their neighbors by generally doing good deeds for those they come in contact with.

But being good doesn't save you. There are some genuinely GOOD people who will burn in hell for eternity.

Commandments 5-10 and "love thy neighbor as thyself" are completely meaningless without commandments 1-4. Commandments 1-4 are dealing with our relationship with a Supernatural and Holy God.

Jesus didn't discuss commandments 1-4. The man didn't ask him how to be saved. He just asked how to be good.

I believe that the Holy Spirit was convicting the young man because he next said to Jesus, "I'm obeying all of those commandments, but something is missing." Jesus now introduces the real crux of the matter. He tells him that he must forsake all that is important to him and that he holds as valuable and that he must follow Him.

The young man can't do it. I don't think that it's the money. I think that Jesus explains that further down in verse 29. Charity - that's an act of kindness - giving to the poor. The young man was wanting to be "good." I think if Jesus had simply said, "Give some of your possessions to help the poor" that he could have done that. He just couldn't let go of what the money represented. He apparently had a love of money that would not make room for a love of God or a love of Christ.

He couldn't keep commandments 1-4.

#1 Scarlett O., Nov 12, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't agree with every word, but I think you've really got some fantastic insights in there. Praise God.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have disappointed me greatly if you had! :laugh: :thumbs:

Exactly! :godisgood:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

wonderful thoughts, scarlett.

It almost made me overlook that you've got a cat for an avatar.

ALMOST, I said...

:D :D :D

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Greatest Candment

First greatest is to love God and second is to love others as ourself.

The only way to know love is to know Jesus love and love Him more than anyone then love ourself and then love others as we love ourself.

6. AAA

AAA New Member

And this is the reason why so many people will stand before GOD. JESUS will say to them "depart from me"....Matt. 7...And these people thought they were saved!

7. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

scripture

Matthew 7 21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

8. standingfirminChrist

Mark 10:18-22 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

The rich young ruler did not say, "I'm obeying all of those commandments, but something is missing."

9. standingfirminChrist

Matthew 19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

Even this is not saying 'But something is missing'. The young man was saying I have done all you stated, what else is there?

10. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Does not "what lack I yet" clearly imply that he thinks something is missing, or at least wonders if something is missing? Else, why ask the question at all?

BTW, I enjoyed the post Scarlett.

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just my paraphrasing.....you don't have to adhere to it.

12. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Great OP. Thanks for sharing your insights.

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It was a great OP, and I happen to like the kitty with the tiara. :laugh:

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Of course, the message is much more general than that the rich young ruler couldn't keep commandments 1-4. The real problem was he wasn't willing to make Christ the Lord of his life. The Bible says we can't serve two masters. The rich young ruler chose to serve the world rather than Christ.

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

When the young ruler asked Jesus what he lacked, I submit that he expected Jesus to answer, "why nothing, young fella. You just keep on doing what you're doing."

Jesus was about to spring his trap. So he zeroed in on the one glaring violation of the commandments--Thou shalt have no other gods before Me. Knowing the young man's heart, he gave him his answer. Sell your possessions, etc. and come follow me.

At that moment the young man knew that he had been exposed. He thought more of his treasures on earth and his treasure in heaven.

So, was selling his possessions and giving them to the poor going to get him to heaven? No, it was the last thing--follow me. Jesus was exposing his heart.

Jesus was also revealing a great truth--if you could keep all the commandments--the law--you can go to heaven. But there's a problem. Nobody can, not even you, young fella. That's why he talked about the camel and the needle's eye and the rich. Those who heard understood. "Who then, can be saved?" they asked.

Lots of nuggets in that gold mine of a chapter.