1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "Rich Young Ruler"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Archangel, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You totally misunderstand what Tulip means!

mankind still seeks to have religion, to appease 'god', but they are futile ion their thinking, and end up following false gods, and following good works salvation!

Does NOT mean all sinners are athiests, but tht they will seek after gods they have created and made up!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was giving back to him "smack talk", as he saw that the ruler wanted to get right with god by doing good works, and obeying the law, jesus point was that unless you keep the law perfectly, you will not get saved by that!

that is why he asked him" why do you call me good?', as he knew the man did not see jesus as God!

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the major fault here. There is a distinction and there can be years between the two.

That's another major fault here. The truth is that many if not most of His children are not yet made whole.

It enables faith in Christ.

That's the typical sola fide Reformed position. They've missed out on a lot on account of it.

#23 kyredneck, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The rich young ruler was willing to have some religion, he was willing to come to Christ....on his own terms....he would not submit to God's terms.
    unsaved religious persons always will pick and choose religious ideas that they like, but will resist God's law at some point.

Many non cals do the same thing until God allows them to see it.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there it is......statements like this is why it is so hard to get along around here.

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is exactly what I see. I have asked some non cals......if the biblical God is as described by The 1689 confession of faith....would you worship Him and they have replied ....no. in fact...let me ask in a thread....

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you need to understand is that its not God they are rejecting but your view of God even in that COF. I also believe much of what gets rejected by non cals of cals is the way it is presented because of the way cals talk to non cals. Attitude and arrogance does as much to drive responses as does theology.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

There have been many wonderful posts on here, from Brother ArchAngel's to Brother KYR's, and I can see where both get their beliefs from. Plus, I like the way they express their views, with very little, if any, angst in their posts. :thumbsup:

As for I, I really don't have a "set" position on this. There are those who hold to DoG who believe God only loves the elect, and in light of that view, the rich, young ruler was an elect, because it states that Christ loved him. Then there are others who believe that God does indeed love everyone, but has an special love for the elect. In light of that, then he could have very well not been an elect.

As for me, I am starting to lean towards the view that God only loves His sheep, but I am not "there" yet.

The way I see this is it's not something worth dying on a hill for. This is something that doesn't draw sinners to Christ. But it is a good subject to discuss, so that "iron sharpens iron"...:thumbsup:

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

If only I had this ability to express my thoughts in such a manner. This is borderline coveting, but if we covet, we are to covet the best gifts(1 Cor. 12:31). :smilewinkgrin: :thumbsup:

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <.................>

#30 kyredneck, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

The reason why I'm leaning towards only God loving His sheep is because the very instant Christ partook of that bitter cup, evil men throttled Him. I mean they REALLY took it to Him. They spared no expense. God spared not His Son when He became sin for us, His sheep, and bore our shame, guilt, condemnation. If He spared not His Son, what about the sinners?

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Edersheim says, “He loved him - as He loves those that are His own”.

….. having loved his own that were in the world, he loved them unto the end. Jn 13:1

It’s interesting what a word search reveals here:

…. Teacher, all these things have I observed from my youth. And Jesus looking upon him loved him… Mk 10:20,21

Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus. Jn 11:5

She runneth therefore, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved…. Jn 20:2

7 That disciple therefore whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord….
    20 Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following… Jn 21

That’s it, there’s not many of them.

Agree. Archangel says:

“This is an important discussion to have in dealing with election. Why? Because, ultimately, how one finishes his or her race is much more important than how one starts the race.”

I’m hitting the road Monday morning. Maybe he’ll explain the lesson he sees on election more clearly to me before I go.

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I tend to agree with this.

What's your view on God loving the non elect?

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a 'thread derailer' if I ever saw one Willis. The question should be dedicated to another thread.

#34 kyredneck, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2014
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? Mk 10:17

Sirs, what must I do to be saved? Acts 16:30

Two different questions that have two different answers. Why? Because 'inheriting eternal life' is not synonymous with 'saved'.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus even loved judas, but still knew that he would fulfill the scriptures of one turning against him!

So the ruler came to jesus, and thought that he was in a right place to receive His blessing, as was a 'good person, ut whn Jesus exposed his real condition...
    Turned ad walked away, loving the pleasures of this age more than the riches of the age to come!n", but when he really saw his real condition...

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eternal life starts right here and now, and ONLY those who have been saved actually even have eternal life!

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I'm once again asking for something you've never done before, but show that to be so from scripture.

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know I'm once again asking for something you've never done before, but show that to be so from scripture.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Disinformation 101

1) First we get the attack on the person who differs from Calvinism, you totally misunderstand what Tulip means!

2) The T (Total Depravity or Total Spiritual Inability) asserts no one seeks for God at any time ever. Now to address the endless examples of fallen men seeking for God from Genesis to Revelation, they modify the doctrine to say no one seeks after the true God (Yahweh) but do seek after gods of their own or other men's invention. And then when scripture after scripture is cited showing men seeking after the God of the Bible, they say they are seeking God in the wrong way, by works and not by faith. And then when scripture is cited where men seek for God through faith, why those had been quickened by the invisible and never mentioned in scripture irresistible grace of Calvinism.

3) But they have no answer for the Rich Young Ruler, who was seeking the God of the Bible for eternal life, and had faith if he had been able to sell his worldly possessions and follow Jesus he would have been saved. All the people who have faith in God but reject Jesus provide evidence Calvinism's Total Spiritual Inability doctrine is bogus, and the Limited Spiritual Ability doctrine is valid.

4) Consider Matthew 23:13 where fallen men are seeking for God, the God of the Bible, because they are actually "entering heaven" yet are blocked by false teachers. Calvinism cannot say they were seeking false gods, nor can Calvinism say they were seeking God in the wrong way, since they were entering heaven. Thus according to Calvinism, they had to be under the compulsion of Irresistible Grace, yet they were blocked making the grace they were under resistible. No answer other than the verse does not mean what it says will be forthcoming.