1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The road to the SEC East goes through Columbia ... Missouri?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 14, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

The Tigers were ranked #25 in the AP poll going into Athens Saturday, after the writers largely ignored Mizzou's 5-0 start, supposedly against weaker opponents. But then, when you've got the #8 ranked offense and the # 5 ranked defense in the country, your opponents are all "weaker." They leaped to #14 in the AP, and their #8 rank in the Power Poll (based on strength of schedule, offensive and defensive performances, etc.) is up from #23 going into the Georgia game.

With Franklin injured, the question is, can freshman Maty Mauk keep the Tigers rolling? There are a few things we do know for sure. Mauk is a tough kid at 6-1, 200 pounds and has tremendous arm strength. He was a highly recruited player for a reason, and he has the look of a respectable quarterback. While he has more of a stocky build, he's also quite athletic for his frame and can make plays rolling out of the pocket.

With so many freshman quarterbacks taking over the college game lately, there's no doubt he's capable of making enough plays to help the Tigers remain unbeaten.

#1 thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
  2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Supposedly? There's no supposedly about it. Murray State, Indiana, Toledo and Arkansas State are not what you call quality non-conference opponents. I watched a good bit of the Georgia/Missouri game and the Tigers were clearly better. Hard to say how much of that was due to Georgia missing players like Gurley on offense, but, as far as I know, they weren't missing anybody on a defense that can't stop anybody.

I think you'll know in 2 weeks whether to start making plans for Atlanta in December.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I'm a big Mizzou fan but lets take a look at the reaiming schedule. Florida and S. Carolina will not just lay down especially w/o Franklin. I hope they go undefeated but who knows?

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Even without Franklin, Mizzou is a 3-1/2 point favorite, but that also has to do with Gator RB Matt Jones having season-ending knee surgery Monday (torn meniscus). Florida seems equally hobbled with him gone as do the Tigers with Franklin out 3-5 weeks.