1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The rod

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

The 'rod' is literal and is known to be so exegetically, historically, contextually, and given the whole counsil of God.

It is not however only singular in it's intent or meaning.

It encompasses the whole system of disciple leading up to that point.

Yes, corporal punishment is biblically correct.
    But there is FAR more to discipline than spanking.

Children have to understand why, and not just 'because I (daddy or mommy) said so'.

I will use God to illistrate this point since we are to be imitators of Him.
    Why does scripture state that we as Believers are to "fear the Lord"?

Is it because He is a tyrant and will deal out lashings at His whim when the mood takes Him?

No, we are to fear the Lord because He alone has the authority over us to judge us. We are to 'fear the Lord' not out of terror and common fear but respect or reverence. He has given to us to know what He desires (good) and that which He will not stand for (bad). And when we choose to go against His rules we are going against God Himself. The Lord will not just let is slide. He WILL chasten and even 'scourage' His children:
    Scouraging is used to chasten and or train by affliction, and is why is was a judicial punishment for those who broke the law.
    Afflction is –noun 1. a state of pain, distress, or grief; misery: They sympathized with us in our affliction.
    2. a cause of mental or bodily pain

I use this scripture above because it specifically states that it is God who scrouges. God is the one who did it. Now since we know God doesn't come down and literally physically discipline we know this is a metaphorical usage implying however the same intent and extent for our understanding. Look at the rest of the passage :
    We are to train up our children in the same manner that God does with us. He does not start with scrouging but with chastisment. Yet, both of these are necessary to things to convey the in temporal form the pain these acts of rebellion will cause them later but THAT pain will be more than can be imagined.

As I stated earlier, I'm not saying to smack a child every chance a person gets. It should be either 1) the last step of discipline, or 2) done promptly to convey the seriousness of the matter in question. But at ALL times it should mirror LOVE and the God we serve, and how He disciplines Lovingly - Us. One should never discipline in anger and most definately discipline in a corporal manner while angry.

Anyway - that is my 2 cents. I had like a whole page but I lost it. :) Oh well.

BTW - I like this from 'somewhere' (can't remember) but the we are to use an impliment for disciple (ie, rod/small stick, belt, et) and not our hand. Why? Children should see the hand as their security, but the implement of discipline as that which should be avioded at all cost. I thought it was rather good.

#21 Allan, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you SP, my daughter was born on Jan. 18. She is my little princess...I'm in love all over again:love2:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How is she doing? She is so cute - makes me want another!! Think my hubby would go for #5 if he saw her cute little face? Seriously, I really want another. I'm not too old at almost 43, am I?? ;)

I just remember those early days of no sleep, the constant nursing, the snuggles and snorts that I'd get from those little ones and just looking at them and marvelling that they were just 2 little cells 10 months before. SIGH

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

She's doing great, thanks for asking. My wife is having a harder time recovering this time around, so I took 4 weeks of vacation to take care of my girls and my little man. I let my wife sleep through the night and I get up instead...she needs her sleep.

43 is not too old for another (but don't tell your husband I said that :))

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :godisgood:

That is great Web!

Good for you, helping out your wife and giving her some much needed rest.

#25 Allan, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What a great guy! I slept with my little ones because I nursed and hubby couldn't help much with that. Without them in my bed, I think I would have gone crazy! Although always my first night home I'd leave a bottle for the baby so I could get a stretch of 4 hours alone to sleep. LOL I had c-sections and I found while it was easier to recover from the birth with each one, *I* could not deal with the sleeplessness as well. Also, having other children definitely make it much tougher.

Again, congratulations on your little princess.

7. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Congratulations, webdog!
    Love your pic.
    How many of each do you now have?

8. Isaiah40:28

I have read and reread Tripp's book and believe his writing to be biblically correct.
    I do not believe that the rod is merely a symbolic instrument of authority. I believe the rod is as literal as the whip and harness mentioned in Proverbs 26:3.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We have one son and one daughter. My son is a little over 2.

How about your pregnancy? How have you been feeling?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since I"m still straddling the fence on this one...if the rod is literal, how can spankings occur with anything but a rod?

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Personally, I've never read the verse as, "To make sure your child is properly disciplined, beat your child with a rod". I think the message contained in the verse is lost on that. To me, the message reads, "Discipline your child, and do not let him become spoiled."

love,

Sopranette

12. Isaiah40:28

My daughter was born 3 weeks early and is currently 6 weeks old. It's been difficult and wonderful all at the same time. Thanks for asking. We also have a 4.5 year old son as well.
    Simple. It is the author's intent that is to be followed not the exact implementation.
    Several examples come to mind:
    1) Motzah cracker and Kosher wine instead of white loaf of bread and Welch's grape juice for the Lord's Supper.
    2) a woman covering her head during service with a summer straw hat instead of a silk veil.
    3) baptism conducted in a swimming pool instead of local river or lake

Do we seek to follow the exact method employed in biblical times or do we accept adequate and reasonable adaptations?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In my personal experience, I much prefer to use my hand on little ones because the "rod" needs to be as close to the "offense" as possible in order for them to really understand why they're being punished and it takes time to go, get the rod, come back to them, THEN deal with it. Also, for me, I KNOW I will not hit them too hard because of my carpal tunnel but it will be enough to sting but not enough to hurt them. As they get older, the sting needs to be a bit more so I've gone to use a wooden spoon - mostly because they're soft and will break before you could possibly do any kind of injury (mine are washed in the dishwasher - a big "no-no" but very handy.

I have not found with my 4 children that they are afraid of my hand OR the wooden spoon. They know when they're going to get spanked because my mood and my response to their disobedience or defiance is predictable. I think it would only be if I went off hitting them on a whim that they would be more afraid. But they're more than happy to go get the wooden spoon to make biscuits or cookies and they're way more than happy to hold my hand. :)

14. Isaiah40:28

I consider much of the opposition to spanking to be nothing more than old-fashioned fear-mongering designed to scare parents into a desired action.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm glad both you and your daughter are doing well, congrats! My wife is having a harder time recovering this time around with a bruised tailbone.

I'll have to take issue with the fact the author's intent that it not be followed exactly. We see in the OT just the opposite, particularly pertaining to communion (I've never seen a church use a leavened bread for communion, and the church is safe with Welch's, as it does not contain yeast)...baptism is not commanded in a particular location...and women wearing hats was NT, and cultural.

The other problem I have is taking wisdom literature, poetic at that, and classifying it in the same way we do with commands in Scripture.

16. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I saw your new pic and had been wondering if you had a new addition! Congratulations, she is beautiful! :thumbs: Ah, if only mine could be that little again; she turned two on Jan. 3rd, and she is such a handful now. :smilewinkgrin:

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

Hello Isaiah.

Glad to hear things are progressing to the glory of the Lord and happiness of your family.

Since this has turned into a maternity thread :laugh: We just found out we are expecting another child in 9 or so months. This will make our 5th child :godisgood:

I am pretty sure it will be our last unless the Lord intervene. 3 girls and 1 boy so far and hoping it to be a boy so he can have another male to play with. However, either is fine us really. And yes, my wife is happy about it too.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Congratulations Allan, that's great news! Wow, 5! I have my hands full with 2!

19. Isaiah40:28

Thanks Allan.
    And wow, that's great news for your family.

20. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum New Member

I will send a free copy of my book Parenting A Soul to the first 25 people willing to write a review of the book in this forum and pay the postage. The postage cost is about $3.50. The book is 45 chapters and 370 pages.

PM me with your name and address and I will send a copy of the book to you. Then post that you have requested a copy to let others know when the 25 copy limit has been reached.

http://www.disciplemakerministries.org/Pages/Parenting a Soul.htm