1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Romans road and the Sinner's Prayer approach to evangelism

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Truth Seeker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let me throw a couple of questions in here.

In Romans 10:13, is calling on the NAME of the Lord the same as calling on the Lord? If there is a difference, then what is it?

I just want to make sure we're not building a practice around a mis-interpretation of a scripture verse.

Second, when the publican said "God be merciful to me, a sinner," Jesus said he was justified, presumably meaning saved.

But the publican never mentions Jesus as Savior, never expressed trust in the Lord Jesus. All he did is express repentance toward God for his sin.

My question is, is this a good model to cite as support for The Sinner's Prayer?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have no objection, of course. But I can't tell you how many times I've heard the preacher say "If you want to be saved, then pray like this....."

And then the lost person repeats after him.

It's not a question of praying or not. It's how this is presented by the soul winner that can be the problem, and how it's heard by the lost person. That's all.

Also, praying is not necessary. One may simply express repentance and faith. This is consistent with "confess with thy mouth that Jesus is Lord."

3. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Where did the sinners prayer come from anyway?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have read it started at the start of the Reformation as a counter to Catholic culture. In Acts, the prayer was not used at the point of salvation. That does not necessarily mean there is something wrong with it.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Truth Seeker, I have not read the whole thread, but saw your question concerning understanding Romans 10:13.

First, according to the reference column, it is a quote of Joel 2:32 and also references the Acts 2:21 quote of the same verse.

Next, if a person calls on the name of the Lord, what is the idea being conveyed with "name.?" I believe this refers to what is known about the person, his reputation, his accomplishments, and his teachings. Hence it seems just another way to refer to the gospel of Christ, i.e. He is the Son of God, God in the Flesh, and the Son of Man, the Messiah, the Anointed One of God to deliver His People. So step one would be to believe in God and believe that God is just and will punish sinners such as ourselves. Next we would need to believe we cannot fix it with good works, that to break one point of the Law is to break the whole Law and therefore we can do nothing to earn or merit salvation from the wrath of God for our sins.

Now to call does not mean a lip service profession of faith, but a heart-felt plea for mercy and a desire to walk with God.

Who decides whether our belief and trust in Christ is "from the heart?" God does, for He can search our heart and know what is hidden there.

Easy Believism has folks saving themselves with a profession of faith, which is not the gospel.

And no works, i.e. confessing Christ before men, is required for salvation either. The folks Peter was teaching were saved and indwelt in their chairs without saying anything out loud, but we do know they were convicted and "cut to the heart."

So a key to understanding salvation is that it is God who credits our faith in Christ or not. Matthew 7 tells us of folks who professed Christ, who cried out Lord Lord yet Christ never knew them.

#25 Van, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Okay, let's see here:
    In order to be saved one must
    1. Call upon the name of the Lord. (Romans 10:13
    2. Confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord (Romans 10:9)
    3. Believe in one's heart that Jesus rose from the dead. (Romans 10:9)
    4. Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (Acts 8:37)
    5. Repent toward God and have faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 20:21
    6. Obey God's command to repent. (Acts 17:30)
    7. Believe ON the Lord Jesus Christ. (Acts 16:32)

Number 1 could be read as praying to God for salvation.
    Numbers 2-7 make no mention of praying or asking. The others instruct the sinner to repent and/or believe, or to confess aloud that Jesus is now your Lord.

I think it's interesting. Paul's exhortation in Acts 17:30 is Repent.
    The response of some (v.34)--they believed.

#26 Tom Butler, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012