1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Romney Paradox

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"I have come around to trust Mitt Romney more than John McCain or any of the other presidential candidates, and I think he is a smart and decent man who would be a fine president. He’s a leader who has shown that he knows how to fix things, and by associating himself with real conservatives from the very beginning of his campaign, he shows what kind of leader he’ll ultimately be. I’ll happily cast my vote for him when the time comes.............

...........but the Romney Paradox is a real and lingering problem: His victory in Massachusetts helped him cross over from business to government and made him a viable presidential candidate, but at a price that keeps conservatives from getting behind him and supporting him with full throat because many of us aren’t sure we can trust him. There’s no getting around that. It is what it is.
    I’ve gotten past the Romney Paradox. I hope a majority of my fellow conservatives will do the same on Super Tuesday".

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/02/01/the-romney-paradox/

I dont understand why Christians are so afraid of Romney. The more I hear him in the debates the more I like him.

2. redbelt

redbelt New Member

Trust Mitt Romney????? He is the one who spent several hundred thousand dollars in attack ads on Mike Huckabee. His most dishonest ad was the one where he suggests that Mike is soft on crime. Mitt used a haft truth to paint Mike as soft. Mike Huckabee did reduce the percentage of sentence served from 70% to 50% due to prison overcrowding. But the dirty little secret was that Arkansas sentences were still much longer than those of Romneys Massachusetts. He has not show Mike proper respect and until he apoligizes to Mike about the dishonest ads.... I would never vote for him over Mike.
    If Romney would reach out to Huckabee, maybe the conservatives could beat McCain, but Romney will have to get off his high horse and I don't see that happening.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Romney is a flip flopper, much the way FoxNews characterized John Kerry in the 2004 Election.

If you haven't already seen it,
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=a9IJUkYUbvI

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: for saying "pwned." I'm sure 95% of the people here won't understand the term!

6. Magnetic Poles

I'm hip. I'm with it! Not bad for an old fart, eh? :smilewinkgrin:

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Neither do I trust John McCain.

Nor Obama and certainly not Hillary.

8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I am not afraid of Romney, I just don't trust him. In my view he is the Republican version of Hillary Clinton. He will be anything he needs to be to win an office. He is a liberal when he needs to be and a conservative when he needs to be. McCain is not my first choice, and I disagree with him on more than one issue, but at least he is generally consistant. We know where John McCain stands on issues.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

:laugh: :laugh:
    I never saw that one.

Did you notice how Romney kept trying to make the same statement, almost verbatim?

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Bingo! The fact is that if Mitt Romney was a Democrat the same professing Conservatives who are supporting him would be calling him Mitt the flip or something like that. I guess it just goes to show how some professing Conservatives have adopted the Sean Hannity ethic. What is that? When your side does it, it is ok. When the other side does it, it is an outrage.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Trust Romney, no way. It is no paradox, it is snake oil.

12. drwthohh

drwthohh New Member

I trust Obama - to take us in the WRONG direction.

Seriously, though, This is how I rate the candidates for trustworthiness of character amd integrity (regardless of political positions):

1. Huckabee
    2. Obama
    3. McCain
    4. (empty)
    5. (empty)
    6. Clinton / Romney (tied)

13. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I have been voting since 1972, when I turned 18 years old. I have never been in such an ambivalent state as to who I want as my president. John McCain, despite his hero status, seems to me to be just a real creep. The situation concerning his first wife leaves a bad taste in my mouth as well as his contemplating changing parties at one time and even considering to be Kerry's running mate. Not to mention the bills he co-sponsored with the likes of Ted Kennedy and other Democrats.
    Romney's obvious use of the abortion issue to further his political career should ensure him a hot place in hell if he is insincere. Huckabee is just another Arkansas Governor with a silver tongue.
    Maybe the thing to do is sit this one out, let the Democrats have the white house, try to keep them in check in the House and Senate and hope that a true conservative will emerge the next time around.

14. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay, I'll bite. What does it mean?

15. Magnetic Poles

Let me refer you to THIS. Bottom line...when someone is so smacked down by an opponent, they are said to be pwned...a variant of "owned", probably started as a typo, but it caught on and gained a life of its own.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thank you. Will this be on the final exam? ;)

17. drwthohh

drwthohh New Member

:confused:

Huckabee seems to be the most sincere of the major candidates to me. I think he's a very good communicator and seems to be willing to take an unpopular position if it is what he believes is right.

My business partner has an 11 year old son who is very active in environmental causes. He took his son to S. Carolina a few weeks back to try to interview the candidates. He said Huckabee (and his wife), Obama (and his wife), and McCain all spoke to his son for a few minutes despite all the distractions around them. Hillary and Romney wouldn't give him the time of day.

See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTgWeSvM1eg

18. Paul F. Eilers

Paul F. Eilers New Member

So many of our pasts presidents have claimed to be Christians. Yet, I have read autobiographies and other things quoting them in office or out of the public limelight, using God's name in vain or other profain words.

So though I do believe it is important that a man who leads our nation believes in God, it is getting increasingly harder for me to put too much stock in a presidential candidate who claims to be a Christian or otherwise.

19. Magnetic Poles

Yes, but it's "open book". :thumbs:

20. drwthohh

drwthohh New Member

Well, I wouldn't vote for someone just because they CLAIM to be a Christian either. All kinds of people claim christianity. The question is whether they show evidence of being genuine about their claim (and that doesn't mean they have to be perfect, just mostly consistent)

But I also don't want a candidate who is AFRAID to talk about their faith. Frankly I think that is where we are as a society today. Most voters don't want to hear anything about a candidate's religious convictions. It's the old Bill Clinton idea of we are supposed to somehow divorce our religious faith from our public life. :confused: A religion that doesn't impact your whole life is not genuine, it's compartmentalized.

What we really have going on today is secular bigotry against those who would practice their faith in EVERY aspect of their lives.

#20 drwthohh, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008