1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ron Paul Newsletter Controversy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Dec 23, 2011.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been thinking about this over the past couple of days. I believe Ron Paul when he says he didn't read all the newsletters using his name, and that when he did read them that he never read anything offensive, and that he has disavowed any connection with these newsletters. I don't really care how much money he made on the newsletters. What troubles me is that he allowed some third party to use his name to promote a product and he didn't assert any control over how his name was used.

It's kind of like owning a trademark. Would you allow someone else to use your trademark, even if you were getting paid for allowing the use of your trademark without having some sort of controls over how that trademark was used?

In my view this is stupidity. This is not the kind of judgment I want my President to show.

If Ron Paul were President, I wonder how vigorously he would instruct the U.S. Patent & Trademark office and Customs to enforce intellectual property rights?

2. mandym

mandym New Member

My concern is RP supporters who want to dig up everything from everyone's past and beat them up over it but become arrogant and rude if anyone brings this up.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I agree that this was a stupid move on Ron Paul's part.

The problem is, every single person on the stage has similar idiotic or even outright evil things they have done in the past. Gingrich, for instance, not only did some things just as idiotic (such as his commercial with Pelosi), he has also done things which were downright evil...something that is much less tolerable in a president. Romney, too, and all the others.

See, we are human. We ALL do stupid things. There are the stupid things that people find out about, and the stupid things that people do not find out about. But not everyone has character.

Ron Paul does.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

One problem with all this is that now of course Ron Paul denies writing the newsletters and doesn't know who did. Ok.

But back in 1996 his spokesman said: "Dr. Paul is being quoted out of context," [Paul spokesman Michael] Sullivan said. "It's like picking up War and Peace and reading the fourth paragraph on Page 481 and thinking you can understand what's going on."

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are not going to have to worry about Ron Paul becoming president. It will never happen. While some of his ideas are good others are so far off the screen he sounds like some strange person. He is an isolationist and his foreign policy is debunk and his drug policy will never fly.