1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Rules of War

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 16, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is simply not true.

The basis for the "huge grudge" of most muslims against the U.S, including American muslims, is the U.S. support of Israel.

It has always been there. Iraq or no Iraq.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That and Europeans not rolling over when the islamicists invaded . . .

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

No, it's true alrighty.

That is surely a large part of it. It had died down more than a little after the Oslo accords, then Sharon provoked the second infitada for his own political gain, which Arafat continued for his own, and things have gotten steadily worse. Another large part was US military presence in Saudi Arabia, which is one of the reasons Bush & Co. decided to move the permanent military stations to Iraq.

No, we had a huge boost in sympathy after 9/11. Instead of exploiting it and going after the actual intracountry terrorist network with the cooperation of the heads of state in the Middle East and much of the world as demonstrated by the true international forces that fought the Taliban in Afghanistan, Bush squandered it by his invasion of a contained country which posed no true threat to the US.

#43 Daisy, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

oops, sorry.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

From Middle Eastern muslims?

Was that before or after the celebrations?

Any expressed sympathy was for public consumption only and most of it came with a lecture concerning our "policies" being to blame.

IOW We're really sorry it happened, but it was your fault.

Got your threads crossed up, huh?:)

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Maybe she doesn't remember former President Clinton's speech

. . . or the funny canadian guy newsreporter?

At least then most democrats stood united against the enemy foreign and domestic. I pray that they again will put the security of the country ahead of partisan politics. And yes, I do want them to become a little more moral in their voting - anti abortion, pro family, those sort of Christian attitudes. I don't expect them to force a 'Christian' set of laws on the unlawful - but, don't put pagan laws on practicing Christians . . .

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yes.

Ha, ha - that's cute.

Middle Eastern Muslims lined up at the blood-banks to donate for the victims. Don't you remember that part or is it just so much more fun to concentrate on the few who did celebrate? It's a shame to have a short memory for the good things and a pitbull grip on the bad.

Go back and read the news articles from that period.

I get the feeling that you have some kind of commitment to believe the worst about people who don't agree with you. Do you care at all what they actually think and feel?

When you make up your mind about something, is that the end of it as far as you're concerned? I'm not accusing, I curious about how you think. I can't tell how much is bravado with you...

Big time. You saw that, did you?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My memory is long enough to remember a mayor name Giulani refusing a multi million dollar donation from a Saudi prince because it came with a lecture...

that it was our fault.

9. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Correction. The Bush administration did not aid the Taliban govt.
    They sent $28 million worth of wheat, $5 million in food commodities and $10 million in livelihood and food security programs.

The aid was distributed by the UN to some 700,000 Afghans who had gathered in refugee camps following three drought years

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/05/17/us.afghanistan.aid/index.html

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Keeping the memories is very important. And to know there is no collective guilt. Nineteen men and their co-conspirators were responsible. All were Muslims, most were Saudis. Yet neither collective blame nor guilt should be applied by any American to Muslims nor Saudis. The same should hold true in reverse -- no blame nor guilt should be applied by Muslims to Americans.

11. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I agree.

I agree with that with the caveat that as citizens of a democratic republic, we bear collective responsibility for our government's actions - even if we, as individuals, vehemently disagree with any particular one.

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I've followed Giuliani in the news from back when he was a prosecutor of big-name cases. He is a showboater who loves power and publicity.

Which is not the worst thing a politician could be - it's far better than loving money - but I would take those sort of stories with a grain of salt.

13. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

That particular story was well covered at the time. The check did come with the prince's comments that initiated Giuliani's refusal to accept it.

I have yet to meet a politician who doesn't meet your description. Isn't it part of the personality required to achieve politcal success?

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grain of salt, indeed.
    I wonder why Daisy doesn't remember this?:confused:

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Why would you say - rudely, in the third person - that I don't?

My point is that Giuliani performs for the camera, so it is his sincerety that should be taken with a grain of salt, not the story itself. Sheesh! I thought that was obvious.

16. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Perhaps, but some politicians are more interested in the money, some are interested in cronyism, I even heard rumors that one or two are interested in good government and effective administration. Giuliani was known to be extremely unhappy if a department head took credit for anything without giving the lion's share to the mayor.

As a prosecutor, Giuliani perfected the "perp walk" - calling the news photographers and TV people so he could parade the arrested in front of them. The indictments may have fallen apart, but people remember him as a bulldog unafraid to go after the money boys (Wall Street bankers).

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Carpro

Remember that the politicians with the most money are the PAC's that go after conservatives telling the truth . . .

ooooops third person commentary - the Constitutional Freedom of Speach police . . . are gonna get me!

;)

Daisy you are a riot!

#57 El_Guero, Aug 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2006
  18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Daisy wrote, " ...I would take those sort of stories with a grain of salt."

I can't imagine why I would think you were talking about the story rather than the mayor.:rolleyes:

19. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Newsstories...staged photo-ops...pr

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying you believe the only reason Giulani refused the money was for the publicity?