1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Russian Orthodox Bible

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ben W, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Russian Orthodox approved version of the Bible appears to be interesting, it dates from the first publicly made available translation of the Bible, the Slavonic Bible in the Eighth Century.

This article is quite interesting, I would be interested in your thoughts.

http://orlapubs.com/AR/R89.html

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I don't know I disagree with some of the Apocrypha parts. I don't believe there canon. Interesting read but long I didn't finish it yet have to do it tomorrow. Definetly interesting thanks for the link.

3. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I wonder if any of that applies to the Russian Synodal bible translation? My wife is Ukrainian so I'm always looking for bible translations in Russian or Ukrainian but there are VERY FEW.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What it leads me to wonder, is if how many Translations there are that have the books of Maccabes included in them. It seems to me that this is the case in the Orthodox version.

3John2, I think there is a Bible Society in Russia, maybe they could help?

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"how many Translations there are that have the books of Maccabes included in them."
    ''
    All Catholic ones, all Eastern-Orthodox ones, all Oriental-Orthodox ones, a number of studybibles and direct reprints of early Reformation era Bibles.

6. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

What is the difference I thought "eastern" and "oriental" meant the same thing?

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"I thought "eastern" and "oriental" meant the same thing?"
    ''
    Certainly not.

Eastern-Orthodox are those churches that parted ways with the Western (afterwards Roman Catholic) Church during the schism of 1054. Examples are the Greek-Orthodox and Russian-Orthodox churches.

Oriental-Orthodox are all those churches that parted ways earlier, splitting away during the formation of the unified state church, of the late Roman empire(s) (east&West). Examples are the Ethiopian-Orthodox Church and the Nestorians.

And no baptists (despite the Landmark silliness) aren't Oriental-Orthodox, they are simply a movement coming out of the Reformation.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mioque, you seem to have quite some information on this, can I ask where the Christian Coptic Church (Egypt) factors into the breaking away of churches?

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"where the Christian Coptic Church (Egypt) factors into the breaking away of churches? "
    ''
    They started to break away after 451 (council of Chalcedon). The rest of Christianity usually believes in the 2 natures of Jezus (1 human, 1 divine). The Kopts believe he has only 1 (both human and divine).

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Which then naturally leads to an interesting observation of Christians. Did all of Jesus die on the Cross?

People might say that His human part died, but His spiritual part stayed alive. If the Kopts say that he has only one nature then it neccessaraly follows that the one nature must have fully died.

Clear as mud? [​IMG]