1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sabbath was not Changed

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Before you ever listen to the biased translators who wangle the Scriptures to suit their Sunday observance taken for granted for God's Word again, here is Colossians 2 from verse 12 to verse 19 with a few omissions of things that do not for my purpose of quoting make any difference ...

... it is a literal translation--to make sense as literal as you will get ...

12 While dead in your sins God who raised Christ from the dead forgave you all trespasses having quickened you together with Him. Nailing it to the cross and removing it altogether, Christ blotted out the damning law against us; and putting off and ruining the rulers and the authorities [of darkness 1:13], He publicly held them up to shame, triumphing over them in it. [If ye then be raised with Christ 3:1], THEN THEREFORE, don’t you let yourselves be judged and condemned by anyone (of the world 2:8, 20) in your eating and drinking or with regard to your eating and drinking of feast, whether of month’s or of Sabbaths’—all which shadows forth what soon must be, the BODY and SUBSTANCE OF CHRIST!
    Let no man not holding to the Head [but] puffed up by his fleshly mind, who conceitedly meddles in what he knows nothing about (the mystery which is Christ 1:28), with his pretentious humility and angelic worship beguile you (with enticing words 2:4) of your reward.
    Because holding to the Head nourishment being ministered, all the Body (of Christ’s Own 1:18) by joints and bands [of faith 2:12 Hosea 11:4; peace Ephesians 4:3; and charity Colossians 3:14], and knit together (in love 2:2), will grow with the growth of God.

PS
    How would you apply this Scripture in favour of Sunday observance, now?

and

How would you apply this Scripture against Sabbath observance, now?

#41 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isa 1:11 "What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle; And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.
    12 "When you come to appear before Me, Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?
    13 "Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies— I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.
    14 "I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, They have become a burden to Me; I am weary of bearing them.​

Mar 2:23 And it happened that He was passing through the grainfields on the Sabbath, and His disciples began to make their way along while picking the heads of grain.
    24 The Pharisees were saying to Him, "Look, why are they doing what is not lawful on the Sabbath?"
    25 And He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and he and his companions became hungry;
    26 how he entered the house of God in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the consecrated bread, which is not lawful for anyone to eat except the priests, and he also gave it to those who were with him?"
    27 Jesus said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.
    28 "So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."​

Don't the Jews currently celebrate the Sabbath on Saturday? Hasn't this been the day of celebrating the Sabbath for those who follow The Law for all of time?

The first "Christian" (or more accurately "believer") - Abraham - didn't have the law or the 10 commandments, yet he was declared righteous by his faith in Christ. This was 430 years prior to The Law or the 10 commandments. That covenant of faith was an everlasting covenant to those who were his seed, and The Law cannot modify an existing covenant, ratified by God.

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
    7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
    8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed.
    9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

Gal 3:17 And this I say, [that] the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
    18 For if the inheritance [be] of the law, [it is] no more of promise: but God gave [it] to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Therefore, legally, the covenant of faith stands apart from The Law. It stands on it's own irrespective of The Law. The Law came to show us that we need salvation, and conclude that all are sinners. The purpose of the law is to show that NO ONE can follow the law, and we all need another way.

Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.
    24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

3. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This one too:

Mat 12:3 But He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he became hungry, he and his companions,
    4 how he entered the house of God, and they ate the consecrated bread, which was not lawful for him to eat nor for those with him, but for the priests alone?
    5 "Or have you not read in the Law, that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple break the Sabbath and are innocent?
    6 "But I say to you that something greater than the temple is here.
    7 "But if you had known what this means, 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT A SACRIFICE,' you would not have condemned the innocent.
    8 "For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."​

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The Christians’ opposition and persecutors in fact in this Scripture are “the world” and the “kingdom of darkness” with its petulant “angels-worshipping”, “authorities” who DETESTED and RESENTED the Christians their unblameable “Sabbaths feast of Christ the Substance” and only Authority and Author of their salvation.

There is no <<change of Sabbath days established under the New Covenant>> in this Scripture;

There is nothing <<that abolishes the whole Sabbatory Levitical Laws under the Old Covenant including their Seventh day of the week Sabbath>> in this Scripture;

And there is nothing in this Scripture Colossians 2 that abolishes or only discourages
    the DEFENDED and acclaimed “ORDER” and “stablishment in the Faith [2:5, 7] “with regard to eating and drinking of Feast of Sabbaths Christ the Substance” …
    or …
    that abolishes or only discourages
    the ENCOURAGED and “COMFORTED” [2:2] “Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ ASSEMBLIES” or “Body of Christ’s Own”. Cf. 2Chronicles 23:20,21 2Kings 11:12,19,20.

This whole anti-Sabbatory campaign including its Sunday worshipping is as ‘old covenantal’ as the own undertaking in self-righteousness that the ancient Israelites undertook; there is no improvement except in its increased authoritarian audaciousness.

#44 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 2, 2013
  5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All the above, mentioned to say what?

Nothing?

Must be, because you seem unable to say.

Tell us what you say all the Scriptures you used, SAY?!

Establish Sunday as the Lord's Day?

Abolish the Seventh Day Sabbath regardless God Himself says of it, "the day The Seventh Day is Sabbath of the LORD GOD"?!

... abolish God's Word from God's Mouth?!

... tell us!

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

"Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies— I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.”

What went wrong with … God?!
    What went wrong with … God’s commands?!
    What went wrong with … God’s institutions?!

O yes o yes o yes!!! Worthless abominations God cannot endure … iniquity!!!

Shouts and rejoices who …?!

You? Really?!

You rejoice God’s demanded offerings were iniquity?!

You do not mean God’s demanded offerings INCREASED iniquity?!

O no?!

Because if they increased iniquity they might have increased YOUR iniquity?!

So what do you shout and rejoice for so?

Because God’s Sabbaths with their Assemblies are worthless abominations?!

You say THAT?!

Not YOUR Sundays or YOUR Sunday services, o no!?

No, because the iniquity and worthlessness are God’s Sabbaths and God’s Assemblies—which He, commanded, YES?!

No fine; I see; I see perfectly clear—It’s NOT “YOUR”, iniquity!! It’s not “YOUR” sabbaths or Sundays!! It’s not “YOUR” worthlessness!! It’s not “YOUR” abominations!!

It’s all God’s.

What is, that thing called, ‘blasphemy’?

#46 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 2, 2013
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Isa 1:11 "What are your multiplied sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle; And I take no pleasure in the blood of bulls, lambs or goats.
    12 "When you come to appear before Me, Who requires of you this trampling of My courts?
    13 "Bring your worthless offerings no longer, Incense is an abomination to Me. New moon and sabbath, the calling of assemblies— I cannot endure iniquity and the solemn assembly.
    14 "I hate your new moon festivals and your appointed feasts, They have become a burden to Me; I am weary of bearing them.

Now read the SAME Isaiah—or should I say the SAME God, speak in the same Book of Isaiah, of “MY, Sabbath(s)”, “MY, Holy Day”, and read of “The Son of Man who lays hold on the Sabbath”—Jesus Christ—“the Son of Man who KEEPS the Sabbath”—“the Son of Man” who “is LORD OF the Sabbath”.

Read the SAME WORD OF GOD o Israel-of-Sunday-keepers!! Read Isaiah speak of “the New Earth”, “THIS the Thousand Years the First Resurrection”—OUR, PRESENT, AGE OF CHRISTIANITY “all flesh every Sabbath Day shall come to worship before Me, says the LORD” … not fulfilled YET … but beware of the day it shall be fulfilled “and they shall go forth and look upon the carcases of the men that have TRANSGRESSED AGAINST ME!”

8. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting on US calendars Saturday is the 7th day and Sunday is the 1st day.

On European calendars Saturday is the 1st day and Sunday is the 7th day.

What do we do with that?

10. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Gal 3:11 Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, " THE RIGHTEOUS MAN SHALL LIVE BY FAITH."
    12 However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary, "HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM."
    13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"—

Gal 3:15 Brethren, I speak in terms of human relations: even though it is only a man's covenant, yet when it has been ratified, no one sets it aside or adds conditions to it.

Gal 3:17 What I am saying is this: the Law, which came four hundred and thirty years later, does not invalidate a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to nullify the promise.

Gal 3:21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law.
    22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

Gal 3:24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
    25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Gen 15:5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
    6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

Gen 15:8 And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it?
    9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon.
    10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not.

Gen 15:17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

This is how covenants were ratified - splitting in half and passing fire between the halves.

Gen 17:7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

Gal 3:16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, "And to seeds," as referring to many, but rather to one, "And to your seed," that is, Christ.

Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."
    5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

Rom 4:8 "BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT."
    9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."
    10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised;

11. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you go by the original that was when the command was given--which was Saturday.

men has changed calendars and times since then YAH has not.

12. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mat 5:20 "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.
    You will never, ever surpass the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees. You can never keep as many sabbaths or fulfill the law as fully as these - and they perished in unrighteousness. Even 1 sin disqualifies you by the law.

Does a murderer say to the judge "But I kept every other law... I only killed the one person, otherwise, I have never broken the law." They receive the punishment for that one cime. The Biblical punishment for sin is death. You can never, ever have life if you are a sinner.

But there is a loophole - see God made this promise to Abraham as an everlasting promise 430 years before the Law was given. God preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham and when Abraham believed the gospel, God counted this as righteousness. He granted that righteousness as an everlasting inheritance to Abraham's seed. But you see, he spoke of Abraham's spiritual seed, not his physical seed. Those who are of the same faith as Abraham are heirs according to this promise.

Jhn 8:31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
    32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
    33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, 'You will become free'?"
    34 Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.

Jhn 8:38 "I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father."
    39 “Abraham is our father,” they answered. “If you were Abraham’s children,” said Jesus, “then you would do what Abraham did.

Jhn 8:44 "You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jhn 8:56 "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."​

The only way you can BE righteous is not by following The Law... for after 1 sin, that way to being righteous is cut off from you. The only way to be righteous and have your righteousness surpass the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees is through the righteousness that comes through faith. Then it isn't based on your own righteousness, but on the righteousness of Christ.

So then all of The Law - circumcision, sabbaths, etc - falls away because you are not justified by your own righteousness anyway.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are indeed correct, that the Sabbath day was never changed, as it was meant for and is still in force for Isreal, the Jewish peoples!

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You tell me, which was the original. By the European calendar Sunday is the 7th day.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The Bible doesn't give names for the days of the week - it addresses days by numbers. Men gave the days of the week names. Therefore, Day 7 is the Sabbath. What we call Saturday may or may not be the Sabbath - you only assume that the men that call Saturday the Sabbath were right.

16. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

you got it completely opposite--we follow his commandments because we are Righteous through Yahshua-- and pursue a coarse unto Holiness --not to obtain Righteousness.

we follow his commandments because we LOVE him and we are HIS.
    WE follow his commandments because we walk in the spirit and NOT after the Flesh.
    WE follow his commandments because he told us to be HOLY as he was.
    WE follow his commandments because we have the Love of YAH in us.

IF you don't do his commandments ---then you are fulfilling the lusts of your own flesh !!!!!! HOW exactly do you think his SAINTS live--after the former manner according to the flesh ????? NO NO NO NO NO

As I said on another thread------------------------------------------------

IF you DO NOT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS---YOU DONT LOVE HIM

17. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

how do you know that adam didn't name the days of the week--he named the animals and such ???????????

18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible doesn't say if he did or not, but I find interesting that for centuries after his death, no names were used for days of the week except for three of them - they are: the first day of the week, day of preparation, and sabbath. Some ancient hebrew calendars simply said: first day, second day, third day, ... , sabbath day. Others said: first day into the sabbath, second day into the sabbath, ... , sabbath.

Below is an interesting article on this subject. I know others see things differently, but he brings up good points that others ignore.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/festivals/sabbath/is saturday the saturday of sabbath.htm

19. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wouldn't we go by the Jewish Calendar, not the European Calendar?

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

the desire to keep them and to please the Lord will be in real saved peoples, but the problem is that many try to do that in their own flesh, in their own strenght, amd ONLY way to do that is in the empowering of the joly spirit within us!

being saved, we will evidence fruit and a lifestyle becoming salvation experience, but will NEVER attain a state of sinless perfection while in this flesh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.