1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sad Results of Weak Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently there was a story out of California about another crying Mary statue. As usual people are showing up to see the "miracle", lighting candles, and praying. The article quoted several visitors as saying the following things:

"Just the fact that it's coming from the eyes, and it's a red color like blood, I would say that there's a miracle either way...Even if there's a natural explanation, it's a sign."

"With Christmas coming up, they say Jesus is the reason as opposed to the commercialization...So maybe this is happening for a reason. I just think she's crying for all the sins of the world and everything."

One poor lady even "traveled from Las Vegas" to see the statue "crying". Why? Because she thought Mary could help her with her cancer. The lady said, "I pray to Mary a lot...I felt like I need to be here to see this."

One person said, "I think many people have forgotten about God, and I think she's weeping about God's children who are lost and are searching, and looking for answers."

In this article I wish to examine these statements in the light of Holy Scripture and look at why people "in the church" continue to fall for this sort of event.

First allow me to establish the fact that Mary is a minor figure in the New Testament. I did not say, to clearify, that she was a minor person. Mary was a very important person in the plan of God. It was through this virgin girl that God brought the Savior of the World into the World ("He came to His own, and those who were His own did not recieve Him"). She was also the one who raised Jesus. However she does not play a major role in the New Testament beyond that. She is only, in fact, mentioned a handful of times in the New Testament. In fact I don't believe she is even mentioned outside of the Gospels and Acts. There is no New Testament example of Mary healing anyone of any disease nor is there any New Testament evidence that Mary would play some special role within the modern church. Christians are never instructed to pray to Mary, or look to Mary, for any reason. Therefore the entire reason people are being drawn to this statue is false.

So what is going on here?

Well since it is red it could be some form of rust (I don't know what the statue is made out of though). This seems possible since it is only streaming from one eye.

It could also be a fake. It could be the product of someone who, for whatever reason, keeps putting the "tears" in Mary's eyes.

It could be demonic. Since the Bible (in general) forbids praying to dead people and worshipping statues if it is supernatural it is not of God. That means, if it is supernatural, it is probably demonic in nature. Pulling people away from the Lord Jesus Christ and the one saving Gospel and pulling them to the worship of the dead and statues (idolatry).

Why are people fooled by this still? Bad, weak, or missing theology. The professing church (Catholic or not) has become very much "life principles" centered. The result of this is bad theology. We need to get a healthy balance of theology and life principles. However I think, in large part, it will be hard to get that since deep theology does not sell books nor does it usually attract large crowds. Life principles does! However we need a solid diet of both, that is we need solid Biblical teaching!

That is how we solve this problem...a return to solid Biblical teaching/preaching.

Martin.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Thank you Martin, I think was a good post.

The only thing Id add is that I believe people in "the church" who fall for this sort of thing are being led astray on many fronts by this particular church. So the phenomena of weeping statues and Marian apparitions is just one more thing that they are being lied to about and/or that they hold desparately to in order to find answers.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I agree [​IMG]

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my country, the Philippines, when I was a kid, they had this 'miracle' of fresh rose petals
    falling from heaven over a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
    Turned out somebody was cranking a big fan that blew rose petals out into the air.
    They want apparitions and miracles and other such stuff, and corpses that don't rot ?
    They can go to the Philippines. Dime-a-dozen over there.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

People are often fooled by gossip. So what's new?

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

This thirst for the miraculous is what drives the charismatic movement as well. There is a shallowness concerning the Word of God because the Word convicts the soul. People do not want the truth, they would rather have emotionalism.

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I a very small town near where I live in NM, A tortilla was found to have an image of the virgin Mary on it. There is now a shrine to the, get this, "Imaculant tortilla" in the back yard of the house where it was discovered.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Pass the velveeta, I'm having a hankering for a grilled cheese mothermary...

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Porceline objects have a glaze that prevents liquids inside from coming out. To create miraculous "tears" it is only necessary to scratch the glaze at the eyes, allowing liquid inside to ooze out from that place.

10. nate

nate New Member

Why would Mary weep it doesn't make any sense. I agree with other poster some are just out to see a miracle.

11. Pete

Pete New Member

The "sign of Jonah" just ain't good enough... :rolleyes: :(