1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The SBC and Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Michael Wrenn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Obviously, I see it differently. The Gentiles in question here have a moral code written on their hearts, but I don't think the passage can support that they are regenerated. Even though you are Primitive Baptist and I am not, we do agree that regeneration precedes salvation.

Nor do I see any mention of Jesus mentioned. He is the way, truth and life, and no one comes to the Father except through him.

I understand your view, and it is certainly consistent with PB doctrine. I just don't see where anyone is saved independently of the gospel.

Those gentiles will be judged on the basis of their obedience to their own moral code, in my view. And they will fail the test.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I had to go back to Brother Wrenn's OP to see what this thread originally was all about. It has been so long ago that I had forgotten.

I think it is correct to say that Calvinism is growing among Southern Baptists. And, at one time, I thought that this would be the next big battle issue for the Convention. And although there are occasional potshots here and that, that battle has not yet materialized on a significant scale.

My own congregation is sort of a microcosm of the convention. We have a number of DoGs, including at least three deacons. On occasion the subject will come up in discussion, but so far it has not been a divisive issue.

In fact, we all get along quite nicely. Just like all those diverse churches in the SBC, who are wiling to cooperate for the sake of the gospel.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sadly there are many who do not know the bible well enough to even know what is at issue.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It is what it is. Since you're so anti-Calvinist, you should avoid churches that are Calvinist.

In fact, you're militant in your dislike of Calvinism.

Calvinism is here to stay in the SBC. It's not going anyway.

5. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Icon...see My NEW thread titled: "Is Cal/Non-Cal important enough to divide?"

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I'm not so militant as to want to exclude Calvinists from my church. I would like to belong to a church that could include those with my beliefs and those with Calvinist beliefs.

7. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I find that the common people are generally non-Calvinist, the educated Calvinist, and the super-intelligent non-Calvinist. Whatever one is, though, he needs to be able to explain biblical election, foreknowledge, and predestination in a systematic way that is not self-contradictory.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Well thats fine....but it should be moving up or out. I'm a fan of Al Mohler, so I pray he increases that charter.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you are categorizing. Are there statistics you can share with us to substantiate your findings?

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

WHICh calvinism though?

the baptists as I who hold to DoG, but reject ALL of the CAL system
    OR
    reformed Baptists, who hold to ALL of its theology, minus infant baptism?

11. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

No, or else I wouldn't have said "I find" of course! Hahaha!

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I would be safe in saying that there are NO Baptists who endorse infant baptism. Even bringing this topic up in this light is sort of disingenuous and it ends up being an attack against the man instead of a point of doctrine.

The discussion is primarily one of soteriology. I cannot recall a single instance where Calvin's ecclesiology was discussed in some theology course as an example of Baptist polity. It was, of course, discussed as a matter of church (not Baptist -- two different courses) history.

And note that I graduated twice from Southern Seminary -- THE Baptist bastion of Reformed doctrinal instruction...

13. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We agree!

I was just referncing that reformed baptists hold to the entire cal theological system, minus the part of baptising babies!

Think MOST Baptists who are Cal fall under holding to DoG solely!

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So I wondered about your "Calvinism assault every Sunday."

But glad to know I was wrong.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI....That is not the general consensus of everyone on this board brother.

#115 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I know, brother. ;-)