1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The SBC Got It Right!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Oct 27, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The SBC's 2001 resolution against Open Theism:

"Be it further RESOLVED, that we confess and proclaim that the omniscience of God extends to all creation and throughout all time, to all things actual and potential, even to the thoughts and actions of His conscious creatures, past, present, and future." http://www.sbc.net/resolutions/amResolution.asp?ID=574

2. Open Theists find this quite disturbing.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know any open theists? I'm asking, because this is the third thread you have started aimed at open theism.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you read the other threads, there are some on BB who are either defending open theists or are sympathetic toward them.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I must have missed that. I'll go back and re-read them. I recall some defending the logic how one might arrive at that position...but I don't recall anyone being a supporter of OT.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who puts the theology of God in a box of finite terms limits God to the same level as an idol.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well put! But open theists can't seem to get this. :thumbs:

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am of the opinion that anyone who interprets scripture solely on the basis of any sytematic theology, violates who God is. Not all of scripture follows a prescribed theology concocted by man but rather what God chose. I do not know of anyone who is capable of explaining all of God's actions and thoughts. If someone were able to then he must be able to explain God's love which the Bible claims to be beyond man's comprehension.

#7 gb93433, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. But the Baptist General Conference got it wrong on Open Theism:

"We affirm the unanimous vote of the Committee for Theological Clarification and Assessment occurring on May 13, 1998, that [open theist] Dr. [Greg] Boyd's views did not warrant his termination as a member of the Bethel College faculty and by inference that his views fall within the accepted bounds of the evangelical spectrum."

2. Are you kiddin' me?

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thanks for starting the thread, and saying something positive about the SBC for a change, unlike others on this board.

Open theism is one of those issues that one would have to depart company from, unlike the ridiculous issues of Calvinism, Landmarkism, and communion.

#9 saturneptune, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I am not aware of anyone who interprets the Bible solely on systematic theology. Systematic theology, by definition, must include the Bible which is one source of systematic theology (human cognitive process being the other. Systematic theology is not "a prescribed theology concocted by man." It is an attempt to correlate the various truths about God, recognizing that there are not contradicting statements.

ST is not about explaining all of God's actions and thoughts, but to pretend that we can understand none of them is incorrect as well.

Open Theism is a heresy that needs to be soundly rejected. But it has nothing to do with systematic theology. It is in fact a theology that is built apart from systematic theology.