1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Scriptures The Criterion For Interpreting Christ

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Aug 13, 2003.

1. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Defunct= having ceased to exist. So when did CBF cease to exist? You must be thinking of another organization.

2. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

So Mark

I guess I can safely assume that you dont have very many youth in your church nor do you have any African Americans or hispanics.

The SBC has apologized for thier stance on slavery and has recognized the harm that slavery brought our nation.

There is no scripture that ADVOCATES one man owning another. To say that southern Baptists were correct in separating from thier northern brothers over the issue of slavery is ridiculous.

You are a truly scary person

3. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Jimmy, you apparently do not understand.

1. Based on what? Your modern social views? Do you not know that white people have been in slavery also? Did you know that the Lord sent the Jews to be slaves to the Assyrians, Babylonians, Medes, Persians, Greek, and Romans?

Slavery is the product of a sinful world. However, it is a social issue and Christ did not come to clean up society as a whole. He came to change the hearts of people.

2. What is your point here?

3. Neither is their Scripture forbidding it. Scripture does give commands for how slaves must act wherever they find themselves along with commands as to how masters need to treat their slaves. Imagine that.

What he was saying is that it was wrong to incite slaves to rebel against their masters. He already gave the scripture. Your offense is with the truth of submission, not Mark.

4. Mark and I do not agree on every point, but on the biblical doctrine of complimentarianism, we strongly agree.

Cheerio

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Apparently, then, you do not understand that the slavery that is spoken about in the writings of Paul is completely different from what was practiced in America before the civil war. Slaves in the Roman empire were paid. Slaves in America were not. Slaves in the Roman empire chose to be slaves (although out of economic necessity, it was still a choice). Slaves in America were stolen. I cannot believe that you as a professed pastor would believe this. It's quite shocking.

If you'd like a great Biblical argument against your point:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/bourne/bourne.html

And you still lack any understanding that the difference between the two types of slavery was quite large. If we understand that Christ's main commandments were to love God and love our neighbor, then there is no way that we could tolerate the sub-human treatment of ANY of God's created humanity. Maybe you just don't understand slavery. I would urge you to look up what really went on with the slaves in those times and tell me if a true Christian would be able to support such means.

5. ScottEmerson

No, you just don't understand what slavery was like historically in those times. That's all.

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Mark O said: On the basis of Paul's command for the faithful to withdraw fellowship from those who oppose Christ's teaching about slavery, I will assert that the southern Baptists of the pre-civil war days in America were not only justified but obligated to withdraw from the abolitionist Baptists of the north.

Jimmy c: It is NEVER wrong for christians to stand against social injustice. Gunther and Mark O, do you have minorites in your churches? do your members welcome them with open arms? The answer in my church is that we have many hispanics and African Americans who are vital to our fellowship. We have deacons who are Hispanic and African American.

the racism that Mark displays in his post should not be tolerated by Christians anywhere anytime.

7. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Jimmy, in my church, we have as ethnic groups, Jews, Jamaicans, (Asian) Indian, white american, black american, Texan, etc.

We are all the same race. Paul declared that God has made from one blood all peoples upon the earth.

Slavery is the result of sin. It is a reality in this world though.

Stop trying to polish brass on a sinking ship.

Deal with the Scripture and stop the name calling.

8. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Scott, I have done extensive research on the issue of slavery in Rome. I am going to just politely say that your information is only partially accurate.

Not all slaves were paid and/or in a favorable position.

9. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Scott, I have done extensive research on the issue of slavery in Rome. I am going to just politely say that your information is only partially accurate.

Not all slaves were paid and/or in a favorable position.

Btw, nice exegetical work on those passages that have been brought up (i.e., Eph. 5).

10. ScottEmerson

Then let us see the evidence that that the institution of "doulos" in the NT is the same as slavery in pre-Civil War America.

11. Gunther

Gunther New Member

I missed where I said they were?

Don't forget that slavery doesn't happen if the men already in Africa weren't selling their kinsmen.

12. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Mark O said: On the basis of Paul's command for the faithful to withdraw fellowship from those who oppose Christ's teaching about slavery, I will assert that the southern Baptists of the pre-civil war days in America were not only justified but obligated to withdraw from the abolitionist Baptists of the north.

Gunther:

Can you not see how people of other races would be offended by that statement? Slavery is wrong no matter how it is practiced.

You would say that just because slavery is a reality in this world we should not call out a racist statement? Abortion is a reality in this world as well, do you think that the church should withdraw from the fight on abortion?

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

While we're looking at submitting, please note that the scriptures do not enjoin us to enforce submission from the other party. They only enjoin us to control our own submission as appropriate.

14. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Exodus 22:3
    If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

was god commanding wrong to be done?

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Timothy,

So you think that Slavery is a biblically acceptable concept? I submit to you that Exodus 22:3 is a verse that people are happy to ignore. I dont imagine you can remember the last time a pastor used that passage for his main point!

But thanks for pulling a random verse which might on the surface seem to support Mark O. Concordances are a wonderful thing

16. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Jimmy, I still think you do not understand Mark, but this post is quite funny.

If the original poster had paid attention, it was a form of punishment for evil. Anyway...

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Gunther - thanks, but the following statement you made is a bit irrelevant, if we were not buying they would not have been selling!

Gunther said: Don't forget that slavery doesn't happen if the men already in Africa weren't selling their kinsmen.

18. Gunther

Gunther New Member

Is that how business works? People decide to buy something and then others make/offer it.

Only in wonderland...

19. ScottEmerson

In some cases, yes - Demand leads to invention. In other cases, if thhere is no demand, supply is useless. Simple economics. If Americans has stood on Christian principles, slavery wouldn't have existed in America. After all, no one was FORCING them to buy the slaves.

20. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Scott,

I couldn't have said it better myself - If the McDaonalds McRibb was any good they would have sold 10 kazillion of those instead of hamburgers, but since they tasted like dogmeat people did not buy and McDonalds quite selling them. Simple economics.

I guess the US economy really is wonderland!