1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The seeker friendly movement in the Fundamentalist movement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A preacher boy is a young man who believes he may be called to the ministry and has not yet attended Bible College or yet been ordained.

Pastors often will have a preacher boy preach an evening message to aid the young man in his training.

BTW, I never heard of the term, until I was a member of an IFB church.

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

What happened, I though SaturnNeptune was one of the nice guys around here?

Actually the concept arose out of a real need to hold to the fundamentals of the faith in the face of a rising liberal/modernist tide in evangelicalism in the first half of the 20th century.

As all Christians should strive to be.

1. The SBC is, or is not, a denomination depending on one's definition of denomination...The fact is its own website refers to it as such.

2. My Independent Baptist Pastor growing up never talked about the SBC...I had hardly heard of it till I went off to college.

Unfair comparisons much?

I'm sure some Fundy's do this...some don't...which I believe is Bronk's point.

See Piper's Link...

(Signed...an SBC Pastor)

4. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

So I am either a liar or naive? It couldn't possibly be that there are good IFB churches out there. God forbid that be true. I guarantee you would not call me a liar to my face. You have a lot of gall. All this paranoia and hatred is hard to stomach from those who steadily accuse others.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

:thumbs: Good solid response annsi.....It seems as if E7.....is over -reacting to someone who he is at odd's with. Also he might not be called of God to a formal preaching ministry and could be intruding into that office.Maybe this is a cause of the conflict.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the first place, this is no answer to the OP. In the second place, it's full of baloney.

There are about 13,000 fundamentalist churches in America alone, and 1000s in other countries. I am a fundamentalist, I have preached in many fundamentalist churches, and while there are some like you characterize, there are many, many who love Christ, love others, seek to reach the world for Christ, and glorify Him.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So then in answer you choose to set yourself above and demean the churches others belong to. That's real clever. :rolleyes:

8. Bronconagurski

Let me say this, I have no problem with SBC churches as I know fine people and churches in my area. I have no problem with satrunneptune and Revmitchell as I do not even know them. I have never maligned SBC churches, nor have I heard anyone in my church do so. I supported the SBC against the troll, Alvin, even though I am not one. I don't get the angst against me just because I am IFB. I guess that is life as I have been falsely accused before. I have been to bad doctors, etc, but I did not go around saying all doctors are bad. No doubt satrunneptune and RevMitchell had to have been the target of someone that is IFB being hateful toward them. I am not denying that happens, it just doesn't happen in my church. We have someone coming back to our church later on this year that went to be a Pastor in a SBC church. If I had to pick someone who is closest to the way I believe besides the IFB, I would say it is Southern Baptists. They are my brothers in Christ, and I have a degree from Liberty University. I do not know what else to say.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Bski,

I think they [sn and rm} were speaking in general terms about what many times comes across to others not so active in IFB circles.

For example, I travel around and sometimes put the radio on scan, and tune in to a religious broadcast.
    The IFB pastor is easy to spot most times. He will:
    speak in the third person often...like- you will say to me, PREACHER- what are you saying by this verse ...or preacher can you explain that.

No matter what text they start in, within 5 minutes they will have mentioned that separation means no facial hair, a dress code, and no tv.

they will mention liberals and modernists by the 7 min mark, and insert that they are KJV only church, and against the world and all the other churches that are not doing what they do.

That is the kind i believe they were speaking of.Hopefully you and JOJ are not like that so you are reacting to the broad brush comments....The truth is somewhere in the middle with these things on a church by church basis.:wavey: I am just a casual observer on this thread however, as those men will speak what is on their minds.:wavey: carry on:thumbs:

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps you could elaborate more on what exactly you were wanting/tried to do in the nursing home.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nothing in the post is baloney. That is what is served at fundy pot lucks after being fed it during sermons.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Good choice.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has the OP seen this on 'The Way of the Master' website?

wayofthemaster.com/articles/ray2003-04-16.html

14. Bronconagurski

You know that big chip you are carrying on your shoulder? Someone is going to knock it off one of these days. It's one thing to disagree, but [edited]

#34 Bronconagurski, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It will not be you, but you are welcome to try.

#35 saturneptune, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father and grandfather and several uncles were fundamentalist preachers. I have many friends who are fundamentalist preachers. I've heard some baloney in fundamentalist pulpits, but also many, many excellent Biblical messages.

No doubt some baloney comes out of my mouth in the pulpit too, but this morning my wife and I prayed in family devotions for God's help for many fundamentalist pastors in Japan, missionaries or nationals, and I know that all of these good men preached the Word faithfully. I preached to my small flock here in Japan this morning straight from the Word of God, sincerely and with longing for the believers to grow in grace and lean more on the Lord, and for one particular man to be saved.

#36 John of Japan, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evidently you are not familiar with the word facetious.

Here is the 64,000 dollar question - Who determines what a Fundamental Baptist is? This church believes that one must believe in the KJV (you didn't mention that) and that a Fundamental Baptist is a sub-group of Independent Fundamental Baptists!
    Who makes the determination that a SBC, GARBC, BBF, ect cannot be a Fundamental Baptist church?

As far as being a Baptist - as no one church or organization has a monopoly on the title of Baptists. Are Free-Will Baptists truly a Baptist is they believe you can loose your salvation?
    I would be overjoyed if Westboro took Baptist out of their name.

Here is a dictionary definition of fundamental

18. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched a movie called "The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry" which does endorse this method a little. Yes God does and sometimes works in these ways. However my primary way of evangelism is via confrontations and street evangelism/preaching.

19. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They think that "preaching" and "tracts" are ineffective and unrelational ways to reach people and so if that is their conclusion I am out.

20. Bronconagurski

I have already apologized to saturnneptune. Now I wish to extend my apologies to evangelist6589, who started the thread, the board, and the moderators for using unwise language. While that word meant a donkey growing up and was considered ok language on the farm, a Christian website is not place to be using it, so I apologize. I went back to delete it but one of the moderators has already beat me to it. But the word was just a by product of me getting in the flesh, plain and simple, and that is wrong. I am prepared to accept any penalties or suspension.