1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sermon on the Mount ends also with Bombshell #2

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Browner, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Browner

Browner Member

Apparently, Jesus’ aim was off with His first Bombshell; maybe His second will hit the mark!

In Jesus’ famous “Sermon on the Mount” (Matthew 5:1—7:27)
    He gives a variety of teachings and warnings in the first 94 verses (5:1—7:12),
    which all lead up to His bombshells in the last section (7:13-27).

Bombshell #1 is Matthew 7:13-14.
    Next … Jesus in Matthew 7:15-20
    warns us to beware of false prophets who are against His message.
    Bombshell #2 is Matthew 7:21-23.

Matthew 7 (NKJV):
    21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
    but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
    22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’
    23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me,
    you who practice lawlessness!’

The Amplified Bible
    “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven,
    but he who does the will of My Father Who is in heaven. Many will say to Me on that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name and driven out demons in Your name and done many mighty works in Your name?
    And then I will say to them openly (publicly), I never knew you; depart from Me, you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands]. [Ps. 6:8]”

Vine’s Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words on “lawlessness” above, which is “anomia” (Strong’s #458): “lawlessness” is most frequently translated “iniquity” … In 1 John 3:4, the RV adheres to the real meaning of the word, “every one that doeth sin (a practice, not the committal of an act) doeth also lawlessness: and sin is lawlessness.” This definition of sin sets forth its essential character as the rejection of the law or will of God, and the substitution of the will or self.”

John MacArthur in “The Gospel According to Jesus” (Revised and Expanded Edition, 1994) … “Clearly no past experience – not even prophesying, casting out demons, or doing signs and wonders – can be viewed as evidence of salvation apart from a life of obedience … I fear that multitudes who now fill church pews in the mainstream of the evangelical movement will be among those turned away because they did not do the will of the Father … The Bible teaches clearly that the evidence of God’s work in a life is the inevitable fruit of transformed behavior (1 John 3:10). Faith that does not result in righteous living is dead and cannot save (James 2:14-17). Professing Christians utterly lacking the fruit of true righteousness will find no biblical basis for assurance of salvation (1 John 2:4) … Many who think they are saved but live unholy lives will be shocked to discover in the final judgment that heaven is not their destiny. It is hard to picture a more horrifying scene that that described by Jesus in Matthew 7:21-23.

The Applied New Testament Commentary (Dr. Thomas Hale, 1996, ChariotVictor Publishing) … “People deceive themselves in two ways. Some suppose: “If I believe – if I say, Lord, Lord – then I am saved. Then I can do anything I want. I can commit all kinds of sins; I don’t have to obey Christ.” Others deceive themselves in the opposite way. They suppose that if they do great works, they will be saved. They suppose that if their outward behavior is okay, they will be accepted by God (verses 22-23). But Jesus teaches in this section that those who only say, “Lord, Lord”, but do not obey Him are going to hell. And those who only do good works but do not have true faith are also going to hell. To obtain salvation both faith and good works are necessary (James (2:24). To do true good works means to obey Christ. Good works are the proof of our faith … Without faith natural man cannot obey God’s will. Without believing in Christ and being born again, no one can follow the teachings of Jesus. Only when we have received Christ’s Holy Spirit through faith can we begin to obey these teachings. In this verse Jesus speaks of those who call Jesus “Lord”, but don’t do what He says (see 1 John 2:4) … The faith of such people is false faith; it will not save them. Such people may believe Jesus’ teachings, but there is no change in their lives … Only those in whom the Holy Spirit dwells and who live in obedience to Christ will enter the kingdom of heaven … Paul knew this truth. He knew that even though he preached the gospel and did miracles, if he did not control his body and keep living in faith and obedience, he himself would be disqualified for the prize (1 Cor 9:25-27).”

What will you do with Jesus’ warning?

“… choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve ...
    But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)

#1 Browner, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015