1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

the sharing of syllabi

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by mcdirector, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

On another board I frequent, a poster raised the question:

Is sharing syllabi with other students ethical since the syllabus is the intellectual property of the professor?

The situation that led to the post is that students of one of the universities offering an online PhD program (NCU) has a Yahoo group in which students do share syllabi.

What do you think? It caused me to do some digging. I don't openly post complete syllabi, but I have used parts of them in my portfolio to help explain my work.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Syllabii Sharing Response

Bitsy,

I can only add that we have discussed that since we have put our course(s) on Blackboard.

Our school said that if a prof put anything that was their "intellectual property" on the BB it would b/c the property of the school!

So, that caused some conflict that I am not sure was ever resolved. But, I think for intro courses like we teach that most textbook preparers have Web CT and BB downloads that can be uploaded directly into the server of the suppliers, "ready made" CDs & DVS' & Power Point presentations and such.

So that made some of the them w/draw to the "canned' sources that came with the teacher's kits.

I don't have an answer or even an intelligent addition to your question!

It it gets bad enough then some will resort to having their syllabi's copyrighted I suppose?!

Just some more input!:thumbs:

sdg!

rd

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Thanks Rhet! I think its pretty crummy of a school to set the stipulation for a syllabus's appearance on BB only. What about using the school's copiers. They could make the same claim then. I'd put mine on my own site and link it!

------------------------------------

Since that question came up on the other forum, I've done some digging. It seems that the American Association of Univeristy Professor's stance is that the syllibus is intellectual property. They have a sample document/contract for colleges/universitities to draw wording from. Not surprising I know.

One of the sites I visited (mmmm I think it was Southern Indiana) said that the college could use the syllabus (among other things) for 3 years after after a teacher left. Other colleges have said that the syllabus is not intellectual property but work done for hire and belongs to the university.

But if a syllabus is put out in public -- say on an open link -- is it wrong for someone to lead another person to it? Does someone have an unfair advantage in seeing the syllabus early?

Those are some of the questions raised. I'm not sure I buy that the syllabus is intellectual property per se because I think that something similar could be set up by many of us in the same field. For courses I'm taking, I would like to see the syllabus ahead of time. I've taken a couple of courses over the years that weren't what I thought they'd be. As a teacher, I don't mind others (teachers or students) using mine. Of course, I've put mine out there for anyone doing a search, and I've gotten some from people who used mine as a guide.

I've always thought of my syllabus as more administrative and less intellectual in nature. There isn't much original on it expect for the organization of the class. The wording is of course mine, but how many ways can you say what you'll do in a specific math class? The most original thing on mine is an FAQ section which I've found very helpful in eliminating questions.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bitsy

If the content is original then it can be copyrighted

. . . try putting a copyright page on your papers you turn in . . . if the professor objects, they may be copying your work . . .

Ain't plagerism more fun than a bucket full of monkeys?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every student I teach in class has a copy of my syallabus. It is required by the university.

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'm only a student and I usually peruse Trinity's syllabi on the web because their password is predictable every year by their own design for prospective students to browse. I like to see what classes are offered and what books are on the reading lists. However, I suppose I'm curious what the teachers here think about resources and sights such as this one?

http://www.wabashcenter.wabash.edu/Internet/front.htm