1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The "shibboleth" of the Biblical doctrine of Justification

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Aug 11, 2016.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know brother as to faith not being a mystery both in the biblical Pauline definition of "a mystery" and the secular definition of "a mystery".

Pauline: Both Jews and Gentiles were to be included in the covenant promise to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Israel).

Or at least the glory of what that actually meant: that God Himself would become a man, suffer and die for our sins and not only pierce through the veil opening the holy place to everyone - not just the high priest but ALSO that He would break down the wall of partition (prefigured as a shadow in the design of the temple - the wall separating believing Gentiles and circumcised Jews).

Ephesians 2
    12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
    13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
    14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

Secular meaning: Actually grace (the forerunner to faith) is the mystery part:

How could we be redeemed after the indictment "The day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die".
    Via the seed of the woman: The virgin birth - God becomes flesh - a total mystery to the world even at the Christmas season.

How can God become human(assuming He even exits)? - mystery.
    How can He give us eternal life as we all must die? - mystery
    How can a virgin conceive? - a mystery to the world.

Grace:God's solution to our fall in sin - Mystery after mystery.

Fine by me (and by all of us I'm sure).

HankD

2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I thought you were espousing the view that God regenerates a man, who then chooses to believe upon Christ.

It seems to me we've tussled before through misunderstanding what the other wrote, only to find we agree after 6-8 exchanges.

I've got to start keeping that in mind as I read your posts. Might keep me from jumping to conclusions about your positions

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I am part guilty. I tend to go right for the juggler and dont provide enough foundational materials to gradually bring the reader to my point. Good that we agree!

• Friendly Friendly x 1