1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Shroud of Turin

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alive in Christ, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Exactly. God provided proof to the early disciples so that they could then testify to us. Their testimony, in accordance with the old testament scriptures, and the facts we know of the cost of preaching a resurrected Jesus to the apostles is more than enough to convince us of the reality of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Paul, when proving the resurrection of Jesus to the Corinthians referring to three things - the gospel he had preached to them which first taught the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, the old testament scriptures, and the more than 500 witnesses. Why would he omit the shroud if it was real? It seems like convincing evidence to me, if true.

God has left us precious few physical evidences of the things in scripture. The ark is who knows where. Nearly no reference to the Israelites in Egypt. Very few corroborations for scriptural events from outside sources. Why is this? I say it's because we aren't to believe the bible because of physical evidence, but rather because of faith. Consider the existence of Belshazzar. For years secular historians used lack of secular evidence of him to blast the bible. Well, turns out they found a cylinder his father wrote and he is named on it. We didn't need that evidence to believe the bible, for years believers has known Belshazzar existed because they had faith in God to accurately inspire His word. Now people doubt Darius the Median existed. I don't. Who was he? People have their theories. It really doesn't matter. The bible says he existed, and we are to believe it. Physical evidence is not needed for belief, only faith.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We can see clearly the worship that occurs with "holy" things. The Catholic church is rife with them. Have a statue "cry" and suddenly there are pilgrimages, bowing to it, weeping and gnashing of teeth, etc. If the shroud was proven to be true, all hell would break lose. I can guarantee it.

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

It always struck me as just another attempt of the Catholic Church to claim its own significance, and shift the focus of the faith to Rome.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Exactly. Look at what the Jews did with their religious relics. At one point they treated the ark as if it could deliver them from their enemies. Later on Hezekiah destroyed the brass serpent moses made because the Jews were offering to it. That's what man does before long, we start worshipping the object more than God. The Jews were proud of their precious temple, and even the apostles got caught up in that telling Jesus how wonderful it looked. He responded by telling them it would be destroyed. We are to worship God in spirit and in truth.

5. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Why? Because they have it and we don't? The Church has never pronounced it to be the burial cloth of Christ. They haven't even brought it into the Vatican. It is still in Turin and you would think if that were their design (to shift the focus of the faith to Rome), they would bring it to Rome and declare it to be genuine.

6. Peggy

Peggy New Member

So really there is no real reason for not believing that the Shroud is genuine except for personal opinion and bias against the RCC.

It is interesting that for most people, the more factual information they get about the Shroud, the more apt they are to believe it is genuine.

And those with the least information about the Shroud are more apt to disbelieve it.

Why would God choose men to perserve the Shroud? Why not? It is a silent witness to the Resurrection of Christ - the cornerstone and foundation of our faith.

1Co 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.
    1Co 15:14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain.

#46 Peggy, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2010
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't understand how it is a witness to the resurrection. Even if it IS a valid burial cloth, there is no evidence that the person who was wrapped up in it rose from the dead.

8. RAdam

RAdam New Member

And if you would read earlier in 1 Corinthians 15 you would see that Paul provides 3 witnesses - the gospel he preached to them that they also received, the old testament scriptures, and the over 500 eyewitnesses. He does not mention one piece of physical evidence. All of his evidence requires faith to believe it.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The biggest problem I have is the "scientific" proof. You cannot claim a supernatural act has occurred using natural means. I don't believe "radiation burst forth" from His body like the scientists claim. He raised the dead, and in those instances there is no account in the gospels where we are told something spectacular occurred like they are claiming occurred in the making of the shroud. Has nothing to do with the RCC.

10. Peggy

Peggy New Member

The Shroud is unique in human history. There is nothing like it anywhere, nor has there been anything like it at any time.

Jesus is unique in human history. There is nothing like Him anywhere, nor will there be anything like Him ever again.

I don't think it requires any more faith to believe that the Shroud is genuine than it does to believe that God became Man to take away our sins, died, and rose again on the third day.

Read some books for yourself, look at evidence on the website www.shroud.com, watch "The Real Face of Jesus?" and then you can make an informed, rational decision as to whether or not the Shroud is genuine, instead of the standby "if the RCC endorses it, it ain't true" reflex.

#50 Peggy, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2010
  11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Except, of course, for the fact that one is in the word of God and the other is human guesswork.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peggy, the Pyramids at Giza are also unique in human history and we have no idea how the Egyptians made them. Even with all of our technology today, we still cannot explain them. There are those who say that because we cannot explain how humans hands made them that they must be from an alien technology from other worlds.

I'm sorry. But that leap is not valid.

And just because the shroud is unique and unexplainable does not allow for me to make the leap and believe that it is genuine

Peggy, this is exactly my fear. People claiming faith in the shroud as equal to faith in Christ or using the shroud as proof of their faith.

The Bible says that faith comes from hearing and hearing comes from the Word of God.

My disbelief in the shroud has NOTHING to do with my opinions of the Roman Catholic Church. Nor is anyone here a Catholic-basher. I don't believe in Catholic-bashing.

It wouldn't matter if my Southern Baptist church promoted it. I still would be highly, highly skeptical.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't care if the Southern Baptist Church endorsed it - I still do not believe it to be true.

14. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Is this 'contempt prior to investigation' Ann?? Or have you researched this thourghly and decided the evidence to be faulty or weak?? Just curious.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The evidence is overreaching.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. It is a matter of valid scientific proof--there is none.
    2. It is a matter of credibility--the RCC has next to zero.

Did you know that if you could gather all the pieces of wood in the world that have been blessed by various priests and bishops, and have been claimed to be a part of the cross that Christ was crucified on, you could build a mansion? It is a matter of credibility. Not every Catholic can have a piece of the cross that Christ was crucified on. :rolleyes:

17. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well, maybe the Church did not officially declare it such, but I just found it funny that something like this would be in Italy (not all that far from Rome, and thus near the seat of RCC power and influence).

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I looked into it years ago. Yep it's cool. I once thought it might be real but after looking into it more and studying Scripture, I do not believe it to be true.

Have you researched it thoroughly and decided the evidence to be accurate and that this is truly Christ's burial cloth? Just curious.

19. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Actually, the jury is out on this one, Ann. I can't say I have thoroughly researched although I find much of the evidence for it being the actual burial cloth to be compelling.

20. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

It hasn't always been there. I haven't heard of anyone making accusations that the team of scientists that examined the shroud were pro-Catholic. It is my understanding that several were non-believers or agnostic.

Maybe someone else has information on their backgrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.