1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Shroud of Turin

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alive in Christ, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you were bowing to your Bible then yes, you were worshipping your Bible. I've bowed in front of my bed and in front of a chair and here is a picture of me bowing before my congregation when my husband was ordained:
    [​IMG]
    In none of the instances were the item I was bowing to meant anything other than a convenient place to bow. Now if I bowed at the chair thinking it was special and I was bowing at that particular chair because of it being special, then I am absolutely worshipping it.

If you think she has any special powers, then absolutely you'd be worshipping her. But maybe you bow down because she cannot get up. That's quite different than bowing down and kissing....a piece of wood.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This example is not like annsni's example. You are bowing before God in prayer and you just happen to have a Bible in your hand. The focal point is God.

The other example was bowing before a piece of wood and kissing the wood. The focal point is the wood.

3. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

Idols can be anything - money, sex, success, power - you name it. The pursuit of worldly posessions come between God and man, and are thus, an impedement. However, what if that "stuff wihitin the catholic church..." actually brings one closer to God? They would no longer come between that individual and God would they?

Come on Trotter, you know very well there is scriptural backing for every one of those as I'm sure you've had to address them before. It is simply your interpretation and your opinion that "Every one of those [Catholic thingies] are wrong and detract from that which we are to have with our Heavenly Father." Why is your interpretation or opinion of “…what we are to have with our Heavenly Father” less infallible than Lori's, or mine, or someone in a Baptist church down the road from you? After all, you (and others here) are presenting your opinions/beliefs as imbued with some kind of sacred authority as if delivered to you from on high. This is sanctimonious pap in the extreme!

† Peace †

4. BillySunday1935

Bingo! And how do you know that the focal point of that Mass (or whatever it was) was NOT God as well? Many here are assuming that is wasn't. Again that doesn't make it so.

5. BillySunday1935

Precisely - it's all about intent! Now, who knows the state of your heart better than God - is it me a complete stranger? What if I were to flat out accuse you of idolatry for bowing at your hubby's ordination? Would that matter to you? No - because you know that the opposite is true as does God. God and God ALONE knows if one is worshiping a piece of wood or not. I think people here often presume too much power and authority with such accusations.

† Peace †

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Er....how do I know? Because they are kissing and venerating a piece of wood. It doesn't matter where their heart lies. They may actually be Christians.

But....

...they are exalting a physical icon - adoring it, kissing it. Objects are not to be venerated. They can be utilized like singing from a hymnbook or drinking from a Lord's Supper glass - but kissing an object bestows your adoration of it.

I don't know what you are looking for here.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's take a look at the whole of the quote that I found (albiet on Wiki but there is support to back up what it said):

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Cross

Please tell me that is it God who is worshipped here.

8. BillySunday1935

This is truly an amazing statement.

I adore my saintly dead grandmother. By that logic if I kiss her picture I'm an idolater. What about my wife - I adore her - if I kiss her hand I am an idolater. So, intent matters not, hmmm.?

I'm looking for a little intellectual honesty.

† Peace †

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So show me in Scripture where we are to bow to an object and honor it (although what I read about things that the Catholic church does with icons, it's much more than honor - it's worship and veneration). I'd like to see it.

10. BillySunday1935

I think that you probably know by now that I don't hold to Sola Scriptura.

11. BillySunday1935

Actually, I've read the entire diary of Egeria and her description of how the 4th century Church in Jerusalem worshiped throughout the liturgical and - yes - I do believe they were worshipping God. This should be a wake-up call to those of you who are bashing the Catholic liturgy.

† Peace †

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Which then poses quite a large problem does it not? So there is inspiration and additional insight from God elsewhere other than Scripture? Can you show me anywhere that God approves bowing down to objects and honoring them?

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You mean bashing idol worship? Yes, even Jesus Christ Himself would bash idol worship.

14. BillySunday1935

Not for me.

Yes - the Canon of the New Testament!

No - because, in my scenarios at least, that is NOT what is taking place. The honor goes to the person not the object. When you recite the pledge of allegiance do you place your hand over your heart - if so, what does that gesture imply?

† Peace †

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you say the New Testament is not Scripture? Wow. I'd like to know what your pastor would have to say.

I'm asking for a source where God condones, commands, rewards someone who is bowing to an object as the object being the honored thing. The pledge of allegiance is totally different. Ask me to bow and kiss it? I'd rather move to the Netherlands.

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    His argument will be that the Canon of the NT is based on Apostolic Tradition. That in the exception of 2 verses all references to scripture in the NT refers to the Old testiment and specifically the LXX. So the NT is scripture in that it is Apostolic tradition. However, it is reliant on tradition already in placed. Though Canon wasn't defined until the 400 we can determine a tradition of "canonisity" based on the accepted practice of all churches to be inclusive what books were considered authoritative for the NT. That is my guess anyway.

17. BillySunday1935

Here's what you said...

The last time I looked the canon of the New Testament was NOT in scripture. So from whence did it come? Who told you which books where inspired and should be included in the canon? It sure wasn't scripture.

I'm asking you where God is telling us that we cannot do this IF it is not idol worship? How is the pledge of allegiance different? Are you not showing our founding fathers and those who have died in defense of liberty veneration and honor?

18. BillySunday1935

Come on annsni - you are better than that.

19. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I thought it quite good myself. :flower:

So you believe that as long as your heart is in the right place that you can do anything you wish? Because that is what you are saying.

As long as your heart is in the right place you can venerate splinters of wood as if they are holy?

Nope. Sorry.

You are just being silly here. I hope you don't consider your wife an object. And I know that you are not going to bring your departed grandmother's picture to the altar at church and start kissing it during the worship service as a sign of devotion to God.

That's what we are talking about. Kissing objects, focus on objects, adoring and venerating objects in place of worshipping God.

You know that.

And I gave you quite a bit. :flower: :flower:

Peace to you. :type:

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes I believe in God. I believe in God by faith. It doesn't take science to believe in God. And that is the argument against evolution. There are limitations to science. One of them is that science cannot enter into the realm of the supernatural or it ceases to be science. It cannot deal with the origin of the universe. If it does it ceases to be science and has entered into the field of faith. It takes more faith to believe this world was created via a big bang than it was through a loving caring Almighty God.

I don't have to prove that God exists.
    However the atheist must prove that God doesn't exist. To do so he cannot. One cannot prove a universal negative.

I can believe what ever I want. I can assert my belief.
    If you want to disprove my believe then the onus is on you to prove me wrong. Therefore to prove Calvin wrong you must come up with the proof. However ridiculous Calvin's statement may seem to you, if you can't prove him wrong his statement stands.

#100 DHK, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.