1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Sinners prayer

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 8, 2012.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast...

I dont understand it?

Brother, you are forgetting something....

I was once a full blown calvinist.

I was just...like...you.

Yes, I understood it. But I praise God that He opened my eyes, and I fled it.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it wasn't God that "opened (your) my eyes."

Circumstances,
    Position availability,
    Emotionalism,
    Friendships,
    Criticism,

(and the list could continue)

3. Alive in Christ

Agedman..

This is from several pages back. I meant to comment, but didnt. Sorry.

Here goes...

You posted...

Then how did I manage to do it?

And I have been in the presence of multitudes of people who did that very thing. Millons of people have done it.

God does not put people in a trance, as lost people, then do a few incantations, and then..*presto-chango* ...they "come to" as believers in Christ.

I knew a lot of facts about Christ from attending the Roman Catholic cult during my growing up years. Wasnt saved, but knew lots of facts.

Years later, as an adult, I became very interested in true Christianity. I was under conviction. God is good at that, and he convicts everyone. I eventually became born again. I was regenerated.

Nothing was forced on me. No magic took place, but the Holy Spirit sure was there. I just knew that I wanted Jesus Christ to indwell me and save me. He did, and my life has never been the same since.

I...nobody else...made that decision. I was standing at the valley of decision, and I chose Christ. I placed my hope of eternal life squarely Jesus Christ. Nobody did that for me

It was my decision, as a worthless sinner, to do that

#63 Alive in Christ, May 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thank The Lord Jesus Christ that He sought you, brought conviction by the Holy Spirit and the Word of God, brought certain illumination to your understanding, and impressed upon you salvation.

5. Alive in Christ

Haha. Not a chance. I was there. It was God.

(if it were anything else it would have worn off by now. Its been 30 years now)

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::applause::applause: He does not seem to understand what he is being asked.....but then again,if he understood it...w.e would not be having this discussion.:laugh:

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is not possible.....if you were your responses would be sharper,and the verses you would offer would show an understanding...that you are not showing..... You might have been around cals....maybe for a short time...but you do not really have the basic idea.....your posts speak louder than what you say here:thumbs: like this;

God does regenerate persons...Titus 3

#67 Iconoclast, May 9, 2012
  8. Alive in Christ

Brother Iconoclast...

Regarding the prooftexts that I provided to support men and women being involved in choosing Christ, like I did, and millions of others, have done, you posted under each one...

You are in a state of full blown denial.

...as in:

I have seen the big red ball in the room, I have felt the big red ball in the room, and I have handled the big red ball in the room, but...

Whew

9. mandym

mandym New Member

You know simply saying that someone is wrong without explaining your view to support your claim makes it look like you cannot support your view and faisl to promote further discussion.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like to give a more detailed answer...if someone really wants an answer.
    I liked AIC to the cartoon Mr.Magoo.....in that he walked in and out of dangerous situations seemingly oblivious to what was all around him....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDIYmwa6vnQ&feature=related

Mandy...I believe AIC is a nice person.....but he does not seem to interact
    with the scriptures in a way that shows he gets it. Agedman.....in this thread ..went point by point and walked him through his own post...but it was like water off a ducks back....Agedman did an excellent job ....but AIC has to spend time looking at the response.

#71 Iconoclast, May 9, 2012
  12. mandym

mandym New Member

What we are saying is that someone who is a new born Christian does not know how to pray and they are not comfortable doing it. Don't blow it out of proportion.

#72 mandym, May 9, 2012
  13. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast..

You posted...

Dang!

Thank you for sharing that with me Iconoclast. I apologize.

Another *Senior Moment* I guess. :laugh:

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AIC.....

Everytime the bible speaks of Election and predestination it is meant to be a great comfort to struggling,persecuted saints:thumbs: Why do you fight against the comfort of God? do a concordance study....look up election, elect...and see how these verses are surrounded by comfort....
    Just rejoice in it AIC:thumbs:

15. Alive in Christ

Iconoclast....

You posted...

Oh my!! You have no idea the (((HUGE LAUGH))) I got out of that. Im, not kidding in any sense. Seriously My little dog looked up really quickly with that "what was that" look. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just have to say to you guys...

I implore you...

Please consider turning from your Calvinism liturature, and your guru Mr Calvin, and come back to the purity of the scriptures, with the Holy Spirit as you guide..rather then a mere man. It will be a tremendous benifit for you guys..I promise.

God bless

...and I have no idea why my font is so big.:type:

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let's see if we can get back to the OP. I have some more questions.

Can one be saved without praying the Sinner's Prayer?

I never said the prayer. Am I in trouble?

My pastor asked me (a nine-year-old) "Are you sorry for your sins?" Yes
    "Do you trust Christ for your salvation?" Yes

Was that enough?

Are there others here on the BB who never said the prayer?

Paul told the Mars Hill philosophers to repent. (Some believed and were saved). He told the Philippian jailer to believe. (He was saved).

What words did you use to get saved? We don't have a record of the jailer's saying anything in response to the admonition to believe--or any of his family. The Ethiopian eunuch told Philip "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" and Philip baptized him.

No prayer here. No one asked God to save him.

So, if someone asks you how to be saved, what will be your answer?

Pray this prayer, say these words, repeat after me? What scriptures will be the basis of your answer?

I heard someone say to a lost person, "if you want God to save you, ask Him." Was this good counsel?

Okay, I've rambled enough. Release the hounds.

17. Alive in Christ

18. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oh, I thought of another question or two.
    When one confesses with his mouth Jesus Christ as Lord, to whom does he confess it?

Does he confess to God? To other people?

When one believes, whom does he tell? God? Other people?

I know that repentance is toward God, but does that it means we tell God we repent?

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my quiz. I know it seems as if I'm obsessed with the mechanics of salvation (the right words to say, the right formula, the right method of soul-winning), but I have seen easy-believism in action and it's not pretty.

I just want to make sure that when I point someone to Christ, I give them the right directions.

20. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's obviously what it is...those stupid non-Cals simply have not reached the level of intellectual enlightenment necessary to comprehend Biblical basics such as Salvation and what-not. Obviously, the remnants of the Noetic effects of sin further Sanctification will fix this no doubt....Stupid Winman....don't you know that the deeper things of God are for Calvinists and Trix are for kids?? :rolleyes: