1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The sinners prayer

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, do you believe that God changed from old to new in the area of 'regeneration'? Is the 'birth from above' a 'new' thing not previously done under the old covenant? Was Christ implementing something 'new' when He declared 'it behoveth you to be born from above', or was He revealing a mystery from of 'old', something that had always been?

'New man' vs. 'old man' (long before Calvinism):

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are contrary the one to the other; that ye may not do the things that ye would. Gal 5:17

For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: but I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity under the law of sin which is in my members. Ro 7:22,23

#181 kyredneck, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2014
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks.....I appreciate that analysis. :thumbs:

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

For example?

Proverbs 1:7. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The unregenerate state for example?

There is no fear of God before their eyes. Ro 3:18

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

This scripture is not saying all men are "fools". Paul was quoting Psalm 14, which also speaks of "my people" and "the righteous";

1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
    3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
    4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.
    5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.
    6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.
    7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

The Jews Paul was speaking to in Romans 3 would know that he was quoting Psalm 14 and that not all people are "fools". This same Psalm speaks of "my people", "the righteous", "the poor, because the LORD is his refuge", and "his people".

This scripture does not teach Total Inability, it refutes it!

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true! Very good!

7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what you mean with "God changed from old to new"

No, God didn't change, and never does. But He has not always interacted with man in the same ways throughout history. There was a time when the Spirit had not been poured out on all flesh, but that doesn't mean that God changed.

Regeneration, in the minds of [most] Reformers, is the aim of OT passages such as Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 11:19, 26:24-48

Jeremiah said explicitly that it would be a new covenant. This is expounded in Jeremiah as a new heart, new spirit.

When you get to Hebrews 9-10, it is clear that the new covenant was in stark contrast with the old. The blood of bulls and goats could never take away (or remove) sins. The clear implication is that the new covenant of a new heart and new spirit is exactly a removal of sins. Not simply a change of disposition, but a bona fide righteousness that exceeds justification.

New creation. Born from above. Partakers of the divine nature. Sinless inner man, in stark contrast with the sinful flesh.

The question then becomes - if God regenerates a man as the first act of grace, then He removes a man's sins and recreates his spirit in a sinless fashion first.

How on earth could justification appeal to a sinless man?

Why would a man rejoice in being "credited" with righteousness after one is already "recreated" righteous? It just doesn't jibe.

But one of the biggest issues is that this supposed first act of regeneration is a change of "want to" whereby a man now is willing to choose Christ. Choose what about Christ?

By all scriptural indications, he gospel is simply a promise to be believed, or a God to believe in, hope in, trust.

Scripture also makes it clear that it does not depend on the man who wills, or runs, but God. But the Calvinist view is that God gives man a change of disposition in order to choose. It's still counter to scripture, because it still has man choosing.

Whether a man is regenerate or depraved, it is not humanly possible to choose to believe a promise. It takes a the drawing, convicting and enlightening of the mind, by the Holy Spirit.

I agree with what Paul wrote. In Galatians, however, I see no warrant for translations to capitalize "spirit"

It is the man's spirit warring against his own flesh. That should be evident from Paul's use of "inner man" in Rom 7

This happens after a person's spirit has been washed and recreated.

Most believers don't like this "sinless" line of thought. But we know that nothing unclean will ever enter the Holy City. SO our sins MUST be removed before we can enter.

The flesh will be made sinless "in the regeneration" (Matt 19:28)

When does our spirit become washed and cleansed from sin? Westminster has it happening upon death.

But that flatly denounces the substance of regeneration if regeneration happens as a first act of grace. It most certainly is not the last act of grace

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This read is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.