1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The sinners prayer

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Feb 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wanna bet? Read the books The Way of the Master and the Gospel According to Jesus and discover countless statistics of sinners prayer converts. My church is so big on alter calls, invitations and aggressive soul winning that I had to bite my tongue today during a church meeting and the main sermon from saying what I wanted to say. They made it sound as if the soul winner is whom saves people and gets people saved by his efforts. This is a denial of Total Depravity no question.

I had mailed the pastor this book in grace in hope it will help him. He will get it Monday and Lord willing will read it.

[​IMG]

I also started reading this book and its a bomb! I am checking it all out with my Bible as I read it. What a wonderful book so far. It could be the book that turns WinMan (and you I might add) into Calvinists if you would read it with an open mind.

Headed out but will reply to the rest of this thread later.

#41 evangelist6589, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

OH, I see, if it is in one your books, then it must be completely true and completely accurate.....Now I get it.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea I "wanna bet" Seeing as how I use it and am around many many people who do.

You can save your Paul Washer quotes. I do not care about one single thing he has to say. He has his agenda. Washer doesn't know what in the world he is talking about anymore than you do. You would do far more by prayer for your pastor rather than sending him ridiculous books that have no credibility.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

LOL, you think Paul Washer is going to convert me to a Calvinist? I have news for you, there is a book I have already read that will keep me from EVER becoming a Calvinist;

[​IMG]

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Boy I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear what he has to say when he gets your book.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like most pastors he will take it with a grain of salt I am sure. When he sees our young friend again he will thank him for it and carry on. It is quite arrogant to assume this pastor does not already know what is out there.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I agree. Most pastors are exceptionally graceful, but my guess is that this particular pastor might be having his patience and grace tested to extreme measures. I would love to know his honest response.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

He might get a fire and brimstone sermon next week after all. :laugh:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

A little off topic, but years ago a preacher came to speak at our church and told of his conversion from Catholicism.

His girlfriend had gotten saved and said she couldn't go out with him unless he was a believer. He didn't want to lose her, so he thought he would convert. The problem was, she was attending a Baptist church. All he knew about Baptists was that his mother always called them "those bloody Baptists!". He wasn't sure what this meant, but it didn't sound good.

He knew that Baptists carried Bibles, so he brought his family Bible with him. It was a huge Bible and everyone was looking at him when he entered the church. :laugh:

Anyway, there was some serious problem in the church where one member was mailing anonymous letters to the pastor criticizing him, and this pastor had had enough. He was shouting at the congregation, daring whoever wrote these letters to come up on stage and duke it out with him! :eek:

This pastor was so angry he threw his jacket into the congregation.

He didn't know what was going on, but all he could remember is his mother saying "those bloody Baptists!". He thought this was the best church he had ever been to!

It turns out that that pastor took him aside and told him the gospel. He received Jesus as Saviour and has been serving him ever since.

And his girlfriend became his wife. :thumbsup:

10. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is absolutely not a myth. I have been in churches of a half dozen denominations, and numerous others which were nondenominational, and I have heard this exact nonsense virtually everywhere I've been.

A couple of years ago I had a Facebook friend, who in turn had another FB friend who was a street preacher. I was checking out my friend's page one day, and saw a post by this supposed evangelist. It really caught my eye, because it simply said, "Led 83 people in a sinner's prayer today."

I thought "WOW !! What on earth ?? Who is this guy?"

So I decided to check out his page to see who this guy was. Each and every day, there was a post declaring how many people he'd conned into "saying the prayer"

I kid you not, one day it was 83, another "down" day it was 47, another day it was 132, another day 112, another day 141, and it went on and on and on. Day in, day out, for months and months it was the same sort of post

If he was out for 12 hours a day, and had 132 people "say the prayer", that's 11 per hour. Or 1 every 5 minutes - All Day Long.

You gotta play with some numbers to get the impact of that. Suppose he is in a very busy downtown area with thousands of people walking each direction. He's holding out a tract or something, maybe stepping right in front of people, or whatever. More than likely, he's getting about one person in every 20 to stop and listen. How long would that take? 3 minutes?

So he's got about 2 minutes to slam home the deal and have the sucker recite a prayer.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that anyone actually heard the gospel from that guy. It was all about bedpost notches.

Back to the churches I've been in. I've been in Nazarene, Assembly of God, Church of Christ, Southern Baptist, Methodist, Bible churches, and a whole host of non den churches.

The only churches I've been in that have NOT advocated a sinner's prayer were Bible churches - Sherwood Bible church and Northwest Bible church in Kansas City.

And how do the rest do it?

With every head bowed, and every eye closed.... I want to ask you if you were to die tonight, do you know where you'd spend eternity? If not, I want you to walk out of here with full assurance that you will go to heaven if you die. Just say these words, or simply express this thought in your own words to God:

God, I'm a sinner. I confess my sins, acknowledging that Jesus died on a cross to provide forgiveness. Please forgive my sins, and I ask Jesus to come into my heart. Amen

Where is the substitutionary death? A generic forgiveness is all that Jesus died for? But even worse, the "preacher" gives every impression that it is on the basis of this prayer that one is "forgiven"

And even if he preacher doesn't intend to convey this, I can assure you that in most cases, this is how it is understood. If you don't believe me, do a survey at your church to see who has faith in Christ vs. who has faith in a prayer.

I know of a church here in KC that was undertaking an evangelistic outreach. They asked people who were interested to come to a workshop so that they could make sure everyone was on the right track before going out.

The very first thing was to hand out a survey containing elements of the gospel. When they got the surveys all back, they were astonished. Many people, even those who had said that prayer years ago, had no knowledge whatsoever as to the gospel.

They had said a prayer, and that was all they had to hang their hat on.

Was at an Assembly of God church several years ago, and spoke with a young man who was really struggling with assurance of salvation. I asked him if he thought he had been saved, and he said yes. I asked why would he think he has eternal life. His answer? "Because I've called upon the Name of the Lord."

I asked if he thought that was why he was saved, and his answer was "Absolutely, because that's what the bible says."

He clearly was looking to his prayer to save him, and for assurance. He knew absolutely nothing about Jesus dying in his place. He knew nothing about trusting Christ's merits alone. He knew only that cancerous prayer. It sounds so righteous, it's just got to be right. But there is a way which seems right.....

If you're under the impression that the majority of "sinner's prayer" converts are genuine believers, then you definitely have your head in the sand.

Do a survey at your church. See how many people have "said the prayer" without any knowledge whatsoever of the gospel.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has already predestined me to be a non-Cal. You wouldn't want to go against God's will for my life, would you?

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God may be drawing you to read the book. You can resist, but not for long. Resistance is futlie. :smilewinkgrin:

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong... I have books that say things that I disagree with.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you KJV Only?

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I sure am. Does that offend you?

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which reminds me I better get back to reading. Just got back from the Gymn doing my workout. Listened to a RC Sproul CD on the Holiness of God, the doctrine of Providence, and the doctrine of the atonement. What I love about RC is that he sends materials FREE of charge much of the time. This CD was FREE.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: My wife thinks I’m crazy because when I work out I tend to listen to sermons rather than music.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good but did he submit to the Lordship of Christ? Many receive him as savior but deny his lordship. Rev brother Paul Washer speaks about these "carnal christians" well in his book.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only very rarely will I listen to Rocky or some Contemporary Christian music tune when I need to run fast, but all in all I find the theology in most CCM songs weak and shallow, and also loaded with Charismatic overtones. Some CCM tunes are good however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.