1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The smoking gun, of the Earth’s age

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

No wonder, God had to rest on the 7th day.

Seriously, this post demonstrates why, every true Christian will believe the accounts in Genesis;
    Because true Christians understand who “God” is and that He can do ANYTHING in ANY amount of time.

This does not mean, that believing these accounts is necessary to get saved:
    (A person can get saved and not believe them at all:)

But once you are saved, God reveals to you who He is, and you don’t doubt anything that He says.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Who are any of us, to say that God could not have done the things we see in Genesis?

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it wasn't God that was naming the animals, it was Adam. He was so worn out he needed help.

20 So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him.
    21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place.

How long do you think it took to name all the animals then take a nice long deep sleep?

Oh, and thanks inferring I was not a 'true Christian'. Also am happy to learn that saved people never doubt God.

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello InTheLight

First of all, I made a mistake with the words “true Christian”:

There are plenty of new born Christians, that don’t even know that the Book of Genesis exist, and they are true Christians.

Please for me.
    --------------------------------------------------
    The point that I was making was, faith in God, requires us to believe the impossible....
    Luke 1:37
    “For with God nothing shall be impossible.”

I don’t know how Adam was able to do that, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t believe it.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Eve's Diary by Mark Twain:

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Some here perhaps have not studied science and thus encountered that there are many theistic scientists who demonstrate the possibility that the account in Genesis (7 literal days) and the most widely accepted age of the universe, approximately 13.7 billions years are equivalent. This can be be demonstrated by some well established science with regard to cosmic background radiation, known speed of light, and the fact that it is KNOWN abolutely that TIME is not constant. The "rate of time" relative to OUR percieved rate of time varies with at least two KNOWN variables, velocity and gravity. Where the velocities are increased, as approaching the speed of light the rate of time passage tends to zero. As "local gravity fields" increase, time tends to zero.

I have seen some rather "convincing" physics and mathematics which demonstrates the 7 literal days (had we been there, 7 days) however the rate of time passage being much slower relative to our own. The argument put forth by Dr. Gerald Schroeder was strong and convincing.

Also, when the word "evolution" is spoken, one must clarify whether or not one is speaking of purely naturalisitic evolution or some form of theistic evolution. Darwin himself conceded that he could not ascertain the "fist cause" of life, in which case the naturalists develop all types of models which require no creator (Infinite time, Multi-verses, Cosmic Johnny apple seeds etc)

In my view three of the strongest detractors to purely naturalistic methods are:

1. The mathematics of probablility
    2. The pre-cambrian explosion of life on earth, approximately 500 million years ago
    3. The Anthropic Principle

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Nor does it mean that someone who believes a day was a longer period than 24 hours is not a true Christian, no matter how long they have been saved.

Y'all are chasing the wind.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Quantum, I myself do believe the speed of light was many billions of times faster in the recent past. There is real evidence for this which would reconcile a young universe solar time with radiometric times and distant starlight.
    I agree the probabilities for evolution are astronomical to say the least, and the Pre-Cambrian argues the sudden appearance of well developed life and supports creation.

8. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

I believe that the six days of creation was in fact six 24 hour periods and that the seventh day was also a 24 hour period. Furthermore I believe that the Earth is no older than 10,000 years.

I have stated this on public forums before and was laughed at. Truth is it doesn't really matter if I am right or wrong. I believe that the Bible is inspired and inerrant. If it says the morning and the evening were the first day then I believe that is what it means.

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please don't resurrect this 3 month old thread. There is way too much unforgivable, unqualified, overwhelming IGNORANCE from both sides. And ignorance gives me terrible gas!

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

TMI!:laugh:

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Due to the conservation of momentum wouldn't the day be shorter when the water feel to the earth from the sky? Of course a day would still be the time from day and night to day again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.