1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Snow Storm Bowl" in Cleveland...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by D28guy, Dec 16, 2007.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Watching the game in Cleveland today.....

That game is the PERFECT and GLORIOUS example of why there should NEVER NEVER NEVER be any of these hidious domed football monstrosities! Every one of them should be immedietly IMPLODED. :thumbs:

It was wonderful! It was great! It was (((FOOTBALL!!!)))

If it rains...you get wet. If it snows...you deal with it.

Mike

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should all bowling alleys be without a roof? Should there be no indoor tennis? no indoor squash courts or racketball or handball? Should fishing barges only be allowed to exist if they have no cover? Must all ships have open decks only? Should all cars have their hoods [bonnets] removed?.........

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Iagree with Alcott, basically. Let the 'locals' decide. If they want a Metrodome or Ford Field then go for it. If they want an open-air Lambeau Field or Soldier Field, then go for it, as well. If they want to play in the old "Mistake by the Lake", or Ralph Wilson Stadium in "Snowbelt Central", or then, again, go for it.

Does the reverse hold? What about the "Hot Climate" cities? Should they be allowed (or 'forced') to A/C the joint and play at a temperature of less than 110* on the playing field in the first month of the NFL season in Tempe, or Houston?

It's called the "home-field" advantage, the last I heard of it.

I think that's a good thing, myself!

Ed

4. A2J

A2J New Member

Now that was football played the way God intended it to be played!!!

:)

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How did God intend for it to be played in Houston and Arizona in early September? :confused:

No doubt, in a very large 120* F sauna! :rolleyes: :thumbs:

Ya' don't get to have it both ways, folks!

Ed

#5 EdSutton, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2007
  6. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Anathama. Heresy.

They shouldnt exist. They should be the next to go. Notice that the "cookie cutter" multipurpose stadiums (Riverfront, Three Rivers, St Louis, Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium, etc) have all been replaced? One day people came out of the fog, looked at them, and said WHAT...HAVE...WE...DONE???

I'm telling ya, these monsters are going to be the next to go. Its already starting! Have you seen where the Minnesota Twins have finally "seen the light" and are building an outdoor baseball stadium? They used to have one!...until the insanity set in.

These monsters should all be exploded. (((Football))) and (((baseball))) being played in a climate controlled artificial BUBBLE????

Its just WRONG. Its just *fundamentally* wrong.

Dealing with the elements is part of the game.

Mike

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Ed,

No! I dont want it both ways. Thats my whole point. If its hot, you deal with being hot. If its windy, you deal with that. If its snowing, you play in the snow. If its raining, you play in the rain.

Mike

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't want it both ways, either, but seem to hear more calls for "snow bowls" than "sauna bowls", somehow. And not just on the Baptist Board, FTR. Nor have I heard the same suggestions to "blow up the Superdome", except for a bit after the Katrina debacle. There seems to be no problem with the weather in NO except for occasional hurricanes and high water, apparently. :rolleyes:

Frankly, Syracuse University "deals with the elements" fairly well, for one, IMO. They call it the "Carrier Dome".
    And FTR, the Metrodome is one of only a very few venues that "pays its own way" among public facilities, without an ongoing and continual tax subsidy, a claim most "open-air" public facilities cannot make. Why do so many want to monkey with success?

"Ah 'on't get it!" as my nephew would say.

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Dec 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
  9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How willing are you to do whatever you do-- golf, hunt, tennis, hike, besides whatever you do for a living-- in the elements? Besides, it's not completely true that football and baseball play in the elements. Baseball calls, shortens, or postpones games because of rain. Football stadiums order the the field and stands cleared because of lightning. If you really want that, then move the Indy 500 to January and run it no matter if there are 3 inches of solid ice on the speedway.

But maybe it's only for your pleasure that a few things should be done in 'the elements,' and you're not the one who to do the performing. Is that the case? If you're old enough, perhaps you were thrilled when Lee Trevino was struck by lightning, then he never was the golfer he was before that. Some of the Dallas and Green Bay players from the Ice Bowl had some numbness and hypersensitivity in their finger and toes the rest of their lives playing without gloves in a wind chill 40 below and colder. But what the heck? If the 'elements' strike you down or give you frostbite or slide you into into a river, that's just part of the games.

BTW are you a flyer, by chance? If so, then I dare you to take on the elements and fly straight toward the next anvil cloud of an approaching thunderstorm.

10. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Ed Sutten,

I know what its called, and it should be imploded. And no...they DO NOT "deal with the elements fairly well".

If they did they would play in an outdoor stadium and if it snows, so be it. They did it that way for about 70 years. What they do is *eliminate* the elements and artificially produce comfort.

No. It is not. I am a tennis player...tournament caliber when I was in my teens...and I DESPISED playing in those indoor tennis clubs that sprouted up back then in the 70's. When it was snowing out I had no choice since you cant play tennis in the snow like football, but if it was at all possible to play outside, I and those I played with regularly played outside. If it was windy, you dealt with that and compensated as you hit your shots. If it was cold we dressed more warmly. If it was 98 degrees out and 95% humidity, you sweated like a pig and drank a lot of water.

When I was young we used to gather up a bunch of us guys and have pick up football games. Some of the best ones where when it was rainy or snowing. That made it REALLY fun!

I also enjoy playing golf, although I'm not great at it. When its windy you deal with it. Thats part of the challenge of golf. If its cooler, you dress appropiately.

Now you are talking nonsense.

And I have heard many of them in interviews speak with great pride about that classic game. They speak as it being a treasured memory for them.

Pure silliness.

This is not complicated, Ed. All I am doing is petitioning for a return to playing outdoor sports in the outdoors, where they were originally meant to be played, rather than in fake, phony, artificially controlled bubbles.

And you are choosing to take this discussion to ridiculous and absurd places.

Good day,

Mike

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no; he really was.

Because it's long over. Many survivors of blizzards, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, et al, talk with "great pride" in what managed to come out of, but they will admit they'd never want to go through it again. And so with the Ice Bowl. On my tape of that game, Cornell Greene, Dallas CB, said "I will never be that cold again... I will move away, I will anything, before I would do that again."

Do you, or do you not, want the game to on for your pleasure regardless of what 'the elements' bring and their consequences?

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I believe you are running together what I have said together with what Alcott has said, actually.

My point is that there is nothing, in the rules of any of the sports you are discussing, to preclude them being played as "indoor sports" vs. "outdoor sports", to my knowledge. For that matter, one cannot find a prohibition or a requirement of most sports being played in either an "indoor sports" or "outdoor sports" venue, including golf, if one wanted to get extreme. (The first 'indoor' pro football game was played over a century ago in Madison Square Garden, between Syracuse and NY, long before most current pro and most current college teams were even envisioned, FTR.)

In fact, a couple of the winners of state HS championship basketball teams in the past century in this state actually had outdoor courts, one at the time they won the state championships, if my memory serves (Cuba), and losing team when they were involved in the greatest championship game in KY history, the 1928 4 OT game between Carr Creek and Ashland. (Carr Creek had a gym when they won the title in 1940, I believe, but did not in 1928, if my memory is correct.) There is not, nor has there ever been, any 'requirement' that basketball be played "indoors", any more than there is one that football or baseball be played "outdoors".

My entire argument was simply to let the 'locals' decide what they prefer. It's their dollars involved; it's their town; it's their school and/or their team. Again, it is their school, town, and money involved.

I am perfectly content with Syracuse playing in the Carrier Dome; I am perfectly content with Wisconsin playing at Camp Randall; I am perfectly content with EKU playing at Hangar Field; I am perfectly content with South Dakota playing at the "Tin Can" DakotaDome; I am perfectly content with Green Bay playing in Lambeau Field and Chicago playing in Soldier Field; I am perfectly content with Minneapolis playing in the Metrodome and Detroit playing in Ford Field. Four are 'covered' and four are not. So what??

I am perfectly content with Michigan playing in a stadium that seats over 107K; I am perfectly content with Vanderbilt playing in a stadium that seats 42K. Again, so what??

I was (key word there, two times) perfectly content with the Cleveland Browns playing in "The Mistake by the Lake." I was not happy when Art Modell took my beloved Browns away to Baltimore (even when he received 88 million reasons to do so, all cash), where now neither the Baltimore Ravens or todays 're-incarnation' of the Browns, are the old Browns of Paul Brown, Jim Brown, Lou Groza, Otto Graham, Blanton Collier, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, etc., et al., as they were for 50 years.

What is so hard to understand about any of the above?

Ed

#12 EdSutton, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2007
  13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree :thumbs:

I had tickets, 12th row in the dawg pound! I went out, bought new thermals and foot and hand warmers. I'm putting my thermals on Sunday morning at 11am. My wife (who's 33 weeks pregnant) tells me she thinks she is in labor. I ended up taking her to the triage, and missed the game :tear:

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Her blood pressure was very high, and they admitted her for 24 hours. Who knows what would have happened if I had been down there, and something happened to her.

I did get to watch it last night on NFL Network...and condensed to 1.5 hours at that :)