1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Sower Soweth The Seed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gekko, Jul 2, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

i guess this is the question i was after instead of "what should draw them in"
    ---

how should we as sowers - sow the word to a lost people?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I just thought of it this way, but the sower throws the seed out there everywhere he goes. He is going out with the purpose of sowing seed, as well.So we go out to purposely tell the gospel to people, and we tell anyone and everyone we come across.

3. gekko

gekko New Member

yah. that's the purpose. but its not answering the question of "HOW?"

HOW do you do that?
    ---

i find that alot of churches tell their congregations to go out and spread the gospel. but they dont tell them how.
    ---

so. how?

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

First ya get a Bible..............

:)

How indepth do you need this, gekko?

I mean are you wondering what verses we use? How we start up a conversation? If there's gimmicks we use to attract people to come up to us?

I personally tend to stick pretty close to the Roman's Road, though during conversation I also need to be able to look up other verses beyond that.

When I go out I bring tracts with me. I walk up to someone, hold it out and say "Here you go, may I give you this?" Then I tell them a bit about what's in there....Bible verses........and that it tells them how to become a child of God. Often that part varies, depending on circumstances. Then depending on their interest I continue talking with them about what they believe about God and the Bible. We look at the verses on how everyone is a sinner, and we figure out that both of us are sinners just like everyone else. We look at God's penalty for sin, and that we can't possibly pay that penalty ourselves. Then we see Jesus' death and resurrection in our place, and that all He asks is that we trust Him in that payment. We trust that that sacrifice paid it all and that His resurrection conquered death for us.

Then I typically ask them if they want to accept Christ into their life now. All they need do is believe that Jesus can and will save them, and then turn to Jesus and ask Him to. The "asking" part is the outward confession of their belief, so that we both know they understand what is going on.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe you begin with how you live your life. I know it's wrong but more is given toward who you are by what others see in you. It would be hard to approach someone with a 40oz in a paper bag trying to encourage them to allow Jesus in their life. I know that is an exageration but I believe you see my point.

When others see you as GOOD, they will begin to inquire about the GOOD that is in you. Don't miss the signs or any opportunity even if it comprimises a job or other social relationships.

For conversation I usualy begin with asking, "you saved" or "do you know Jesus"? Many people will say yes just to brush you away but I then ask can you tell me about him? I don't usually push hard but if they want to discuss the lord I am there for them.

One lady, bless her heart, I asked sitting on a bus bench. My car broke down, I dropped it at the shop and decided to take the bus home since my wife was still at work. It was around 5:30 in the evening and she was on her way to Church. She took me to her midweek service where I knew her pastor and some of the deacons. I ended up preaching that evening because her pastor had an emergency to attend to. But you should have seen her face light up when I asked her to tell me about Jesus and them. She never stopped long enough for me to introduce myself.

She later brought the womens day message at our Church where I had the great pleasure of introducing her pastor who then introduced her. GOD smiles on that lady!

6. vanhall

vanhall New Member

Well i guess im old fasion i like the roman road to and tell people how he loves u :Fish:

7. gekko

gekko New Member

there is no such thing as a good person.
    ---

so tell me. when is it when people come up to you?

or do fish really jump into the boat?

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I did not say you are good, I said see you as good.

9. vanhall

vanhall New Member

the bible tells you no one is good other then the father. the world is so wraped up in the politics thay forgot what this nation was founded on in god we trust that why you cant talk to many people about lord there to in the world to much to care but that why we just need lots of preyer to maybe find some hope for this world:praying:

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Ok, how about if I say being a light in darkness and exibiting the characteristics on the fruit of the spirit?

11. Mishelly

Mishelly New Member

I say whatever it takes - I knew this person who was a self pronounced Athiest, ex Catholic. She swore she would never listen to Christian music and all the world needed was to be nicer

I was riding in her car one day and she was listening to this CD, I questioned her by saying, are you playing that for me?

No, she just liked it. I asked her if she knew that they were a Christian band, no way she thought, couldn't be. Unfortunately it did not work for her, she gave me the CD :tear: At least I got some new music :tongue3: Thousand Foot Crutch

Legalists will say not proper and there are more Godly ways then to use Rock or Rap or other ways that they may feel is of this world and not of God.

If it gets them to ask questions about God and coming to Christ then I see nothing but good coming from it

I say if it is from the heart and if it is preaching the word of God, THEN GO FOR IT

12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Until a person becomes aware of their great sinfulness and lost state they will have no awareness of a need for a Savior. What is God's mercy but saving us from the wrath to come. If one only talks of God's great love then a person has no concept of their lostness and need of being saved! God came to save sinners. Therefore one must first have an awareness that this is his condition and that he has a great need of it to be remedied. Then, only then can one see the way to salvation!!

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is no "formula" for sowing seeds. God works as He will. There have many threads on BB about the traditional invitation given at lots of churches.

One part of our church's ministry that I am not involved in as much as others due to a job is going out and visiting cold calling. Those who do report not a very good response. One person I visited did come, and stayed only a few weeks.

It is almost the same situation as teaching high school kids that seem to watch the clock and can hardly wait to get out of class. Maybe something you said will click some day long after your time. Maybe that visit you made will produce fruit one day long after you have left the scene.

God works in His own time and way. If the Holy Spirit is not working on a person at the same time you are talking to them about the Gospel, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. When the the timing of the two events occurs together, that indeed is a miracle.

14. gekko

gekko New Member

shouldn't stop you from going out there.

over 150,000 people die every 24 hours. how many of those do you know are saved?

how can someone say they love the lost and not pull them from the fire?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nothing stops me from going "out there." I was relating every day experiences. Your statistics are really meaningless. How would anyone know how many of them are saved? The answer is the same number that were called. Your last sentence I will not even dignify with a comment. I am certainly not perfect in my teaching and outreach, but it is the best I can do right now. How about you?

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Geat point! :thumbs:

17. gekko

gekko New Member

that is my point.
    ---

huh? what's that supposed to mean?
    ---

why isn't it worthy of a comment? im not perfect in my outreaches either. but i do what i can (which right now is not enough for i've got too much free-time on my hands - which im working on right now to change) to pull the lost out of the fire that they dont realize they are in.

18. pituophis

pituophis New Member

gekko said, "over 150,000 people die every 24 hours. how many of those do you know are saved?

how can someone say they love the lost and not pull them from the fire?"

I cannot comment on the accuracy of the figures, however, I cannot pull them from the fire. Only God can do that! And I also know that God says in His word that all that He draws will come to Him! (John 6). So even if I fail to tell someone, God will see to it that that person hears the gospel and is quickened (made alive) by it.

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Jude 1:22
    And of some have compassion, making a difference:
    Jude 1:23
    And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

We do have a part in telling people the gospel, or "pulling them out of the fire."

If we don't warn them when the Spirit is telling us to then we will be held partly responsible for that.

#19 bapmom, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I know this is the LORD speaking to Ezekiel regarding Israel but I thought I would insert it here.

Ezek 3:18 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
    19 Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.
    20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumblingblock before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
    21 Nevertheless if thou warn the righteous man, that the righteous sin not, and he doth not sin, he shall surely live, because he is warned; also thou hast delivered thy soul.