1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Spirit Illuminates Our Hearts To Understand Scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Jun 3, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If the Holy Spirit is the one who illumines our hearts and minds to understand the truths of Scripture, why do we differ theologically? (1 Cor 2:10-14).

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I was hoping that would help, but I don't think it will. ;)

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Because only those who agree with me are listening to Him? :)

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, no, Roger.
    It's because you all don't want to listen to me.[​IMG]

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

It's really quite simple: We assume that we all have "unity of the Spirit" Eph 4:3-6, but it turns out we don't. There are some who have come to another God, not the "One God." God down the list in 4:3-6 -- the same God of Catholicism, for example, is not the same God as Baptists worship (similar to Jews and Muslims, right?). You'll never get such as these "on the same page." That's problem #1.

Problem #2 is Eph 4:8 -- believers all have "knowledge and faith of Christ" (Eph 4:13) BUT according to the measure of the gift of Christ." There is a disparity among Christians in their knowledge and faith (maturity) which, some claiming to have, don't. This can quickly be demonstrated even in scripture. The first book written in the NT was the Book of James. Look at his view of Christianity with its emphasis on works and compare it with later books like Romans that give balance to our views of grace and works.

So how do we "keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace?" It would appear that we should not argue too much over things that are not clear (like prophecy) but we should endeavor to teach and learn what things scripture says that we have "in Christ."

Paul said in 1Cor 11:19 that there "MUST BE schisms" among them and he said there was a good, Godly purpose behind it -- "that they which are approved many be made manifest among you." That is, that those who teach the truth will be identifiable and thus, you will know who to learn from. And this by the means that we are using here at BB -- 1Cor 14:29-32!

"Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets."

skypair

6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I think that 1 Cor 2:16, "we have the mind of Christ," refers to the apostles, and not to "all Christians." I believe that the chapter as a whole makes that context very probable. If I'm right, it lessens the implication that we should all agree.

No matter how you slice it, C4K's observation will be waiting in the parking lot when it's time to go home. Try it, you'll see.

(I like skypair's analysis, even though I'm not convinced by it.)

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I think you are on the right track, sir.
    That's the very reason, I believe, that there is so much confusion among us today, because we try to make the Bible speak to more than those it is speaking to at the time it was written.

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thank you for you "endorsement" but 1Cor 2 is talking to the Corinthian believers. Isn't that who the letter is addressed to?

skypair

9. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Sure, he's addressing them. But of whom does he speak when he says "I" and "we"?

I could be wrong.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Of whom do you speak when you say "I" could be wrong? ;)

11. AAA

AAA New Member

Because, men have thier vain ideas and they love darkness rathere then light, and reject the truth of GOD to thier own damnation........

#11 AAA, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Does Paul prayer for the Ephesians( "[God] may give you the Spirit of wisdpm and revelation..." ) shed any light on our discussion of how the Spirit illumines the interpreter of Scripture to arrive at objective truth?

I know that there are some exegetical issues about whether to treat pneuma as "a spirit" or "Holy Spirit." At the end of the theological day, it amounts to the same thing, if we believe the Spirit is the one who sheds the light on his writings.

13. Johann

Johann New Member

I had been working on the "Einstein Tract," a paper entitled "Insights from nature into scripture: Einstein's Equation Reflects Christian Salvation" for some time now. The law of nature, E=mc^2 supports, the Baptist Faith. Since this paper has neared its final form, I want to post it here for some feedback. If you are theologian with a physics background, it would help you understand the paper more quickly. The paper is at the following link. The thesis of the paper is basically that the laws of nature written by God contains the Gospel. Some have told me that Einstein may have received the knowledge for his theories from the Holy Spirit through his thought experiments and that the Spirit may be finishing its job now that science has verified the theory. Whatever is the case, I believe this something that should be looked into and peer reviewed as soon as possible.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcpkhph5_7gxjfmz

Thanks. I posted it here because I believe the Holy Spirit Illuminated my heart to understand that nature also contains the Gospel since nature gives glory to God. I know that this is something new, so I really want some peer reviewed feedback. In building the model, I did grow closer to Christ and learned a lot about Him and the mystery of the Gospel. I do apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Johann

#13 Johann, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps the verse is being interpreted incorrectly. :saint:

Disagreements are possible among Christians.
    Remember Paul and Barnabas.

And after some days Paul said to Barnabas, “Let us return and visit the brothers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are.” Now Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. But Paul thought best not to take with them one who had withdrawn from them in Pamphylia and had not gone with them to the work. And there arose a sharp disagreement, so that they separated from each other. Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus, but Paul chose Silas and departed, having been commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. And he went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.
    Acts 15:36-41 ESV

Rob

15. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

First, that wasn't a theological difference. Second, one or both could have been "not listening to the Spirit" that day.

16. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, y'know, I've heard some preachers say that I have two natures since I got saved . . .

17. Johann

Johann New Member

How do people know if their motivations are from one nature as opposed to other? There are times when people believe that they have good intentions through the Spirit, but when the Spirit probes the heart, there is still a small amount of other nature through the flesh left.