1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Spirit of the Pharisees

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Seth3, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Amen gb,

The simplicity of the gospel is Christ and Him crucified. Come unto me Jesus said and I will give rest to your souls. Take MY YOKE (not theirs) upon you and learn of me.

The Pharisees said, "they are under a curse for these people know not the law". Funny but the very opposite was true as Paul showed. The ground of their hearts cannot produce the Love of Christ Jesus (Fruit) under the law (they trusted in) which empowers sin.

God bless

Seth3

2. here now

here now Member

Seth3 says:

Is there anyone else who sees the "Spirit" of the Pharisees as a reality today? Or is it a dated literal sect with nothing to show us today? The Pharisees represent hypocritical liars that may come in Christs Name.

here now says:
    The Pharisees are alive and well and can be found even right here on BB.

3. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Amen here now,

Get rid of the old leaven (hypocricy) that we may be a new batch. just a "little leaven" is all it takes to leaven the whole. As Paul said, put this off.

God Bless

Seth3

4. JimboJones

JimboJones New Member

But I would say somehow we all are a bit carnal.
    I mean every christian has some stuff which he thinks he has to do or which he should do as a christian. Do you agree with me?

But what would you say are people which say:

As a christian you must not like to heavy metal!

As a christian you must not have tatoos!

As a christian you must not do this and do that!

I have read a book from an evangelist who said you might not get your prayers answered if you go to the cinema or into clubs! Imagine this!
    This is what I call carnality! This man was not a Pharisee but he had carnal opinions. But somehow we all have some carnality, this is what I think. Every christian has some opinions which he thinks have to apply to every christian.

5. here now

here now Member

Yes Jimbo, we will always (as long as we live)have a carnal side. This means that we will continue to sin. BUT, we also(thank the Lord) have Christ who is in us that let's us know when we are doing wrong. He is the One that keeps us on track. He will not let His sheep stray too far. Thank God He sits on a the highest rock in the pasture and watches over us. So that we are never lost.

Although Christians are NOT perfect, the Holy Spirit will always SHINE through.
    In other words: the good will far outweigh the bad.

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

If I can ask a question to this statement.......where you quoted the Phrisees said "these people know not the law"....... In reading Matthew 13:53-58~
    53 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence. 54 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? 55 Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? 56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
    It seemed that everyone thought you had to have some type of public education....ect.

Spirit of the Pharisee and a Religious spirit sound like the same thing?

Luke 16:15 -
    And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Rom 12:3 -
    For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Music4Him [​IMG]

7. music4Him

music4Him New Member

quote by Jimbo
    -------------------------------------------------
    But somehow we all have some carnality, this is what I think. Every christian has some opinions which he thinks have to apply to every christian.
    -------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

I sometimes feel like that too... like other christians will judge others on how they live thier lives, how much education they have compared to others, and doctrine, and if other people don't live the same way as they do, or have some PHD's & BA's under thier belts, and believe the as you do... well then they think they are unlearned and just wrong.

And of course every christian has an opinion on what they should or shouldn't do.

Here's an example of what I mean:
    My hubby will sometimes drink a beer and I personally don't see nothing wrong with an ocasional beer. And besides its also not for me to judge him in meat or drink...right? Well he did the #1 no no and told the preachers wife one day that he will have and ocasional beer. (BTW, When I say occasional, I mean the last beer was 5 months ago and before that was two years or more) [​IMG] Well she tore into him saying the bible says "be ye sober minded and don't give your selfs to stong drink" ...ect. To me it was as if she judged him thinking that one beer got him drunk and that he drinks all the time. :eek:

8. Curious George

Curious George New Member

The Pharasee were concerned with keeping the laws (divorce, oaths, the Sabbeth, tithing, etc.) outwardly, but hearts were not near God.
    As an individual, that affected only them, but as a leader, their actions affected many (Mat.23). Even as Jesus called them hypocrites, we have that in society today.

People in leadership positions (pastors, elders, parents, teachers, etc) often do not realize the responsibility they have when leading people to Christ. Ask non-believers about why they do not attend church or become a Christian, majority of the answers will have to do with the hypocracy of self-proclaimed Christians. Saying grace over a meal after cursing like a sailor or saying you will pray for someone knowing you haven't uttered a prayer in weeks when you were alone are some of the things people see "Christians" do. Talking churchy does not usually impress. You have to walk the walk (Mat.6).

Yes, the Pharasees still exist. But by definition, they exist in the church, not out of it. That is what we need to contend with as Brothers/Sisters in Christ. Perhaps they are not even aware of their actions......

9. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

music4Him,

Paul seems to go into what you shared about a faultless religion (taking care of the Widow and Orphan) its not a religion of man but a faultless religion of love. Men take it and disfigure it for their own glory, praise of men, long speeches, judging others, long lengthy prayers for a show. Preaching for filthy money. Though they justify it before men JUST AS JESUS SAYS THEY WILL nevertheless what Jesus said is True before what they say.

Just like a "form of godliness" or golden image (outer cup). They look beautiful on the outside to others but inside they are hypocrits. Its believing a lie.

Pharisees and teachers of the law

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

Now why call Him Lord Lord if we do not do what He says? Like desiring MERCY not sacrifice. To forgive that we might recieve (in ourselves and know in ourselves) the forgiveness of God.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be MEASURED TO YOU.

This is why the deeds of some men are obvious when one walks around condemning people, judging people the fruit they manifest is the very thing they do to others. Its MEASURED TO THEM.

Prov 18:20 A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; [and] with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.

God causes growth. But we plant seeds we reap what we sow and the fruit we harvest is OUR OWN DOING and from our own mouths. Thats why we must know others by their fruit of which is of the Spirit of Christ (Love Joy and peace in the Holy Spirit) or hate miserable and unrest contention, strife and the like in another.

Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. (To the PURE all things are pure but to the DEFILED NOTHING IS PURE)

Mat 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were OFFENDED, after they heard this saying? (Why? they sit on Moses seat=the JUDGE OTHERS ofcourse they were offended they are accuse)

John 5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is [one] that accuseth you, [even] Moses, in whom ye trust.

Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Like Mat 18:32-35 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me: Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee? And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Isaiah 58:9-10 Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I [am]. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity; And [if] thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness [be] as the noonday:

In Romans 2:3 And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. (Forgive and you shall be forgiven)

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be MEASURED TO YOU.

Romans 2:12 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

God is not a respecter of persons

For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

(For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

For when the Gentiles, which HAVE NOT THE LAW, DO BY NATURE the things contained in the law, these, having NOT HAVE THE LAW, are a LAW UNTO THEMSELVES:

Which shew the work of the law written IN THEIR HEARTS, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Romans 2:17 Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

Romans 2:18 And knowest [his] will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;

Romans 2:19 And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

Romans 2:20 An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the FORM of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

Romans 2:21 Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?

Romans 2:22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

Romans 2:23 Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

Romans 2:24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles THROUGH YOU, as it is written.

Go back and read this whole thing its a wonderful the Lord did. He justifies

The best part is here

And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

This agrees with the first.

For when the Gentiles, which HAVE NOT THE LAW, DO BY NATURE the things contained in the law, these, having NOT HAVE THE LAW, are a LAW UNTO THEMSELVES:

For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

God is just

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it SAITH TO THEM who are UNDER the law: that every mouth may be STOPPED, and all the WORLD may become guilty "before God".

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: FOR BY THE LAW [is] the knowledge of SIN.

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God WITHOUT THE LAW is MANIFESTED, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ UNTO ALL and UPON ALL them that believe: for there is NO DIFFERENCE:

Its all about walking in obedience to Christs commands, walking in love. Forgiving, not judging, not condemning, but one will receive what they give out as Jesus said, its measured to you. As you walk in this way showing obedience to Him by believing that He alone is Lord and Judge and you are not. You begin to "get it" and understanding of Him grows and increases.

God Bless

Seth3

[ November 20, 2004, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: Seth3 ]

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

1 Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

1 Timothy 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

11. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

There are those we shouldn't submit to, not even for a moment. Can any find in scripture who these are? There are some very perceptive people here.

Who did Paul not submit to, give in to. and desired that they go "all the way" and cut themselves off?

God Bless

Seth3

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, Paul always submitted himself to Christ, the Word, and also to the authority of the local church.
    DHK

13. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Paul submitted himself to Christ who IS the Word and was GIVEN AUTHORITY to BUILD UP THE CHURCH and stayed not in one place but moved from region to region not conferring with flesh and blood. But went as Christ told Him and where Christ told Him.

True Authority of Christ in Ministers bearing the fruit of righteousness and approved of by Christ.

Mark 10:42 But Jesus called them [to him], and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.

But so SHALL NOT BE AMONG YOU: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister:

And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be SERVANT OF ALL

Phil 2:1 IF THERE BE therefore ANY consolation in Christ, IF ANY comfort of love, IF ANY fellowship of the Spirit, IF ANY bowels and mercies,

1John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

2Corinth 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Phil 1:15 Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will:
    Phil 1:16 The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely
    Phil 1:17 But the other of love

2Corinth 6:4 But in all [things] APPROVING OURSELVES as the ministers of God

Romans 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that THEY WHICH ARE APPROVED may be made MANIFEST among you.

James 3:16 For where envying and strife [is], there [is] confusion and every evil work.

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, [and] easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace OF THEM that make peace.

Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:18 For he that IN THESE THINGS serveth Christ [is] ACCEPTABLE TO God, and APPROVED OF MEN.

2Corinth 10:18 For NOT he that COMMENDETH HIMSELF is approved, BUT WHOM the LORD COMMENDETH.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    Gal 5:24 And THEY THAT ARE CHRISTS have CRUCIFIED THE FLESH with the affections and lusts.

1Corinth 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

2Corinth 10:8 For though I should boast somewhat more of our authority, which the Lord hath given us for edification, and not for your destruction, I should not be ashamed:

Romans 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

The Lord Approves, the Lord commends, the Lord shows those that are His. The Lord distinguishes those who walk in the Authority of Christ and what kind of authority was given. The Lord shows the fruits of a true minister and those who are approved are made manifest. they approve themselves to you if they are what they are. Anyone serving Christ in the righteousness of Christ peace and joy in the holy Spirit is not only approved by men but ACCEPTABLE TO HIM as an example for anyone to follow. But a stranger they wont hear, Christ said, in fact they will run from a stranger because they do not reccognize a strangers voice, being familiar with the Lords voice.

Where two or three come together He is there as the Lord says. I believe Him and gathering together is not a chore or command but an admonishment.

Among the rightly discerned body (Fellowship is) a complete and utter joy. You would then have to tear us apart from each other.

Seth3

14. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

I love the truths of these. I didn't copy paste everything in from Word on my study these were mistakenly left out.

1Corinth 16:15 I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and [that] they have ADDICTED THEMSELVES to the ministry of the saints,)

I see this as true in my life, I'm ADDICTED to ministry of the saints wherever they are. But I don't need to be "ministered unto" I desire to minister to and labour wherever the Lord leads me to do that as I'm led by the Spirit to do that. The feild isn't just local the feild is the world. Wherever the winds Jesus said in short is where we go as the Spirit leads.

1Corinth 16:16 That ye submit yourselves UNTO SUCH, and to every one that helpeth with [us], and laboureth. (see prior verse above).

I submit unto THOSE who are ADDICTED to the ministry of the saints. Those that labor in the authority of Christ and whom the Lord both commends and approves. These can be wherever the Lord leads. Be it them to me or me to them and its all by His Spirit who leads.

1Titus 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an EXAMPLE of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Seth3

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then if the above is true, find the "approved" local church, with the "approved" pastor, and submit to his authority, and his teaching that you may learn more of the Word of God. Or is pride in your way?
    DHK

16. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I was (am?) a pharisee in that I put scriptures like "be ye holy in all manner of conversation" over "love thy neighbour as thyself" and "husbands love your wives even as Christ loved the church".

This was written for me:

23 "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. "
    24 "Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel. "

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Technically the pharisees are still with us - orthodox Jews. I spent a number of years studying for conversion and living their lifestyle so I guess I'm in a position to know.

18. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Timothy,

Everyone has a little Pharisee in them. We overcome, we are given more and more light and come into that light so our deeds can be seen for what they are. We are all in darkness first. As in the days of creation evening always preceeds morning. The same spiritual principle is threaded throughout.

What you just did was speak the truth in love and not hypocricy. As Paul who saw himself the cheifest of sinners though according to the law BLAMELESS. HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS was as FILTHY RAGS before the Lord.

Very humble admission of you. I like what Paul says, "lest anyone think more of me". Thats coming out into the Light.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, but its "our own righteosness" thats an affront to him. THATS the proud man trusting in Himself as God.

I like the example in the gospel

The Pharisee prayed thus "WITH HIMSELF" ((((Saying GOD)))) I'm thankful I'm not like "other men, or as this publican"

Unawares he is not praying to God (though he says God) His righteousness derived from himself is an affront to God and in reality it shows him showing Himself as God.

The one justified before God was the man standing afar off and beatig his breast (unable to look up) saying, "be merciful to me a sinner".

God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. Great picture here.

Ones a Mountain needing to be leveled the other a valley prime for God to "fill in".

I wouldn't fall into tarring everyone with the same brush according to "labels" put on by men. Hypocricy is can be seen within individuals and known by their fruit individually.

Labeling them as being of "this or that" offers with it the temptation to judge by appearances or labels first. When its the leaven in individuals to beware of as Jesus said.

God bless Timothy

Seth3

19. Seth3

Seth3 New Member

Actually (To whom adressed me) My love for ministering to others is in my way. I use this day (as everyday) to do good and minister to others not be ministered to. Can't join what I'm already a member of.

Seth3

20. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Thanks, Seth3. [​IMG]